Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2021 2:17:53 PM EDT
I got a custom holster for my 5.5" Redhawk but I'm not overly thrilled with it. It's kind of large. Of course, the gun is kind of large too, but I'm thinking there might be something a bit more comfortable out there like maybe a chest rig. Anyone find anything that they particularly like? Does it work well with a pack?

I found this one that might work.

I like that it can be positioned lower and a bit more to the side than some that sit right in the middle of the chest.

What about converting the current holster? Seem worth it?

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Simply Rugged Chesty Puller system
Diamond D guides Choice
7X Leather Chest Holster
Ringler Custom Leather Wyoming Combo Holster

I have the Ringler Wyoming Combo for my 7 1/2" SuperBlackhawk hunter and it is far and away the most comfortable chest type of rig I have carried. It actually carries a bit more like a bandolero or shoulder rig but is easy on, easy off and quick to adjust. In the pics on Von's site, it looks huge, but in real life it is much more compact that it appears. Take a look at this thread for some better pics of one being worn (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=264382)

The chest type harnesses like the Simply Rugged and others work well and hold the gun in place but can be a bit of a PITA to put on and take off if you happen to have a heavy outer layer like a parka on. They also take more time to adjust when changing the amount of layers you have on. If they are not tight enough, the gun tends to flop around a bit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I like the way that one carries and looks more simple, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the others I've looked at. Would be nice if it came as just a holster option and not with the large panel and pocket. I bet I could run some straps on my holster and accomplish something similar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The large panel and built in dump pouch are an option.
Mine looks identical to this one:

I did buy a dump pouch from Ringler but it clips on the strap and is not an integral part of the holster.

I have carted my scoped SBHH all over the place with that holster. You can literally wear it all day without any fatigue whatsoever. The other thing I really appreciate is that it does not interfere with having a pack on and using a chest strap. The gun stays comfortably out of the way and accessible.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for simply rugged. I have a few of their holsters and they work great.  

Also, I use a Hill People Gear cheat pack when I do long distance hiking.  They are a quality company making quality gear.   Take a look at those if it fits the job.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Elpasso saddlery makes a tanker holster thats really well made
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elpasso saddlery makes a tanker holster thats really well made
View Quote
Agreed. I just received my Tanker for my 5 inch 629. Very impressed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Agreed. I just received my Tanker for my 5 inch 629. Very impressed.
View Quote

Thanks. Could you share any pics? I like the simplicity of that one but not sure how it will hang with a revolver. Looks pretty vertical in the one pic they have and can't quite tell if it's worn on the opposite shoulder. Also, with the belt loop attachment what happens if you want it higher or lower?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. Could you share any pics? I like the simplicity of that one but not sure how it will hang with a revolver. Looks pretty vertical in the one pic they have and can't quite tell if it's worn on the opposite shoulder. Also, with the belt loop attachment what happens if you want it higher or lower?
Sure. The belt loop will just move up or down as you adjust the length. Right now it's set to the longest length to quickly throw over heavy clothing like jackets or if I'm not wearing a belt. The draw is smooth and I'll hold the holster with my off hand to get the gun out. If I plan on being out for a while, such as hiking, I'll adjust it so the loop is where my beltline is and attach it. Fairly simple adjustments. I also bought the 6 round ammo slider and had it made for the Tankers strap width which is 1 3/4" wide on the chest section of the strap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. This might be more or less what I'm looking for. Is yours lined or unlined? Not sure which way to go there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks. This might be more or less what I'm looking for. Is yours lined or unlined? Not sure which way to go there.
View Quote
Unlined. The leather is soft enough. Didn't see the need for the extra thickness and cost ($38) for lined.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know if you're still looking, but Mernickle makes good holsters.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/Leather-Chest-Holster-for-Double-or-Single-Action-Revolvers-p210934430
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't know if you're still looking, but Mernickle makes good holsters.

https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/Leather-Chest-Holster-for-Double-or-Single-Action-Revolvers-p210934430
View Quote

Yeah, still looking. I've seen several that might work, but none so far seem a perfect fit. I found this one too I like - https://www.montanaholster.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top