Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2020 7:47:57 PM EDT
*Update* - It seems like HK sent me a new slide, free of charge.

I just got a brand new HK45C. I noticed on the right side of the slide, by the front cocking serrations, is a problem with the finish. It's darker, seems thinly coated, has spots of bare metal showing, and has bumps all over. I own other HKs and I've never seen this. So, I called HK. He said that the warranty doesn't cover the finish. He said I could send it back. He said that there's a possibility that they would send it back as is. So my options are to deal with it as is or pay to mail it back to them so they can tell me to get fukt. Best case scenario is that they replace the slide.

Should I even bother? The pics don't show how bad it really looks.

And the left side for comparison.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a Kimber, they be shiny.

It's hard to tell from the photos so do what makes you feel best.

I'd rather have an ugly H&K that's reliable than a Kimber that looks like jewelry and pukes often.

Hope all works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be highly pissed, it’s a HK at a HK price not a HK at a Highpoint price. I would send it back and see what they do.... however, I’m a little OCD about that stuff.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I wouldn’t be but I can see how you would be. It’s a premium item to some. A tool to others.

I do not see quality control coming from that part though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
It would not bother me, I want a weapon that will kill things, not be pretty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
For a new gun,I would be a little upset about. Like someone said prior, at the price point HK pistols are, the finish should be perfect. If a new pistol eventually gets any wear on it, it would be from me not from someone else. Was it a display model by chance?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Pardon the obvious question;  you didn't look at it before you bought it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a new gun,I would be a little upset about. Like someone said prior, at the price point HK pistols are, the finish should be perfect. If a new pistol eventually gets any wear on it, it would be from me not from someone else. Was it a display model by chance?
View Quote

I put it on layaway before the panic buying started. I ordered it from Bud's, so I don't think so.

It looks like the finish application in that area was done shitty. Like it wasn't prepped properly and had contaminants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pardon the obvious question;  you didn't look at it before you bought it?
View Quote

I ordered it online. It was covered in oil/protectant when I looked at it at the gun shop where I do my transfers, so I didn't see it. It basically covered it up. I wiped off the oil from the entire slide, which revealed this hot mess. HK should never have let it out the door like this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Send the slide in (usps Priority $7) only.  Worth a shot for under $10
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Send the slide in (usps Priority $7) only.  Worth a shot for under $10
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. I was pissed at the thought of having to get stuck paying 2 day shipping back and forth.

I'm going to send off the slide and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I ordered it online. It was covered in oil/protectant when I looked at it at the gun shop where I do my transfers, so I didn't see it. It basically covered it up. I wiped off the oil from the entire slide, which revealed this hot mess. HK should never have let it out the door like this.
View Quote

Since it is a brand new gun, I think they should consider taking care of it for you.  I can understand why the finish is not covered in a gun that  has seen some use.  But in your case, with a just out of the box gun, I think they owe you a fix.  I would send them back the slide with a polite, but firm, demand to correct the problem.

EDIT:  And if they do not correct the problem, I for one would appreciate you starting a new thread on the refusal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. I was pissed at the thought of having to get stuck paying 2 day shipping back and forth.

I'm going to send off the slide and see what happens.
View Quote

Put arrow stickers pointing at the area of concern or use a grease pencil to circle it.  Don't let them miss your concerns.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Put arrow stickers pointing at the area of concern or use a grease pencil to circle it.  Don't let them miss your concerns.
View Quote

That's a good idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Brand new HK.

Op doesn’t say what he paid but I bet a lot .

I’d send it back. .
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#16]
You guys and the Kimber hate,,,geeeez,,, I have five and they all run like tops and shoot very very well. I have not had a single issue with any of them. All were purchased around 2009-10. I was GOING to consolidate my calibers and had all of them out for cleaning and function check. I was getting them ready to sell. After burning through 100 rounds or so I put them back in the safe. I'm not selling shit. My son can deal with them. One of them I converted to a .460 Rowland. Beast it is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Brand new HK.

Op doesn’t say what he paid but I bet a lot .

I’d send it back. .
View Quote

$700 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#18]
If it’s a safe queen, send it back. If you’re gonna actually use it, who cares?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bnz42:
Shoot it.
View Quote

I will after I get HK's decision and the slide back or a replacement. I sent it off a couple days ago, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, HK took care of me. They sent a slide to me, free of charge. It looks normal. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Excellent!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Betting they would have swapped the entire pistol out, if you sent the entire thing in.

I had a HK45T that wouldn't drop magazines free, no matter the angle. They ended up swapping the entire unit out, after a couple attempts, and even gave me 2 extra mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
And who says that their customer service sucks?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AvalonRifle:
Excellent!
View Quote

Yeah, I'm happy. I like to be the one to put wear on my firearms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By leib109:
And who says that their customer service sucks?
View Quote

They took care of me, so I can't complain.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I sent 1 pistol back to HK and have nothing but great things to report. They even paid for shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Glad that your issue was dealt with.

My VP9 had the “false reset” issue, and I lived with it for 6 years. This meant it wouldn’t fire during rapid shooting sometimes, unless I fully released the trigger between shots. Then I wasn’t shooting rapidly...??

I finally sent it in last week and it came back fixed yesterday.

I’m pleased that it’s now the way it’s supposed to be, and turnaround was fast, but the UPS shipping cost to get the gun to HK was $72...??????
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:

They took care of me, so I can't complain.
View Quote

Quoted for posterity.

I guess the numbers match???
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:

Quoted for posterity. 

I guess the numbers match???
View Quote

The gun is US made, so there were no serials on the slide or barrel anyways.

Which is really weird to me. I like my HKs having all those proof Mark's and serial numbers. Seems more authentic to me.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top