Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 3:54:36 PM EDT
Is there anyone that shortens full size frames, ie a G31 to take G32 mags but still gives you the full size slide.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are patient it is not that hard. It is easier if using a magwell but I have some pics of a 33 I did and smoothed out the bottom and looked fine. Here is my 17 that takes 19 mags:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve done a shitload of ‘em over the years.

If you just want to cut it down it’s not difficult at all.

This a Gen5 I did.

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Easy peasy.......

19 TO 26

17 TO 19

Works on Sig frames also.

My Favorite, which I don't have a picture of right now, is chopping the grip and while leaving the backstrap flush with the bottom of the magazine.  
This is a G19 with extended backstrap, but it looks the same when done on a 17 to 19 chop with extended backstrap.

TXPO
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you use to cut them and how do you measure the amount to cut off?  Use the mag catch as a datum  point?

Thanks,

Bronc

Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you use to cut them and how do you measure the amount to cut off?  Use the mag catch as a datum  point?

Thanks,

Bronc

View Quote
I laid a 19 on top and traced it but seeing the ones above, I wish I went that route theirs looks much better. I just used a bandsaw and flap to smooth.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks,

Bronc

View Quote

I have templates for the initial cuts, then everything is fitted and finished by hand.  

When your cutting up your own pistol, you may not care all that much, function over form and all that.  When your cutting a customers 500$ Glock you make sure and get it right the first time.  :)

TXPO
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I am reluctant to chop the length of my frame because I don’t want to preclude the use of the beavertail backstrap, of which I am quite fond.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I just lay a 19 magazine on the frame with the mag catch lined up with the notch in the mag.

Cut it a little long with a small hand saw and then sand it down with sandpaper on a flat surface.  

I cut the half-moon notch in the inside of the back of the magwell by hand with a knife and sand it smooth.  That notch keeps from popping rounds out of the mag during reloads and gives your thumb a place to grip the mag if you need to rip it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top