Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 6:27:43 PM EDT
So I recently traded for a S&W Gen 1 Shield in 9mm with safety. Had been wanting to go back to the Shield as a smaller carry gun than the G19 I normally carry but didn’t want to fork over the money for a 43/43x/48 currently so had been on the lookout for a Shield.

I’ve owned two other shields, one 1.0 and a 2.0, of which I preferred the 2.0 mainly cause of the grip texture. As previously mentioned, just wanted something smaller for when my G19 wouldn’t do.

Being cash poor currently, I dug through the safe to see what I could find to maybe part with cause I was talking to two different people regarding selling their shields (one 1.0 performance center & one 2.0). Decided to part with a Winchester Model 270 22LR pump rifle, posting it up on armslist and a local Carolina site.

Had a gentleman reached out to me on the Carolina site, originally to outright buy it. After some talking, turns out he had a NIB Shield 1.0 9mm but with safety. Would come with four magazines (x2 eight round, x2 seven), IWB holster, and factory box. Agreed to meet, and everything checked out so I took it. Originally wanted a non safety version, but thought this was too good a deal to pass up. Plus from what I’ve seen the safety is hard to accidentally engage

I’ve already got some Fox traction grips ordered as well as a Hyve OD green magazine release. Working on getting a pair of Ameriglo sights off another member.

Came with a decent holster made by a local N.C. guy, so I’m planning on rocking that for awhile.

Anything else I’m missing I need to get? Would like to maybe do the Apex trigger but I may just switch out the trigger for the Hyve cause the trigger pull isn’t horrible

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Apex trigger  and you are GTG.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same gun with safety. I have never accidentally engaged it and carry with the safety off.
I replaced the trigger springs with the Apex duty/carry kit I believe, added night sights, and also picked up some Taran Tactical mag extensions for my spare mags.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the same gun with safety. I have never accidentally engaged it and carry with the safety off.
I replaced the trigger springs with the Apex duty/carry kit I believe, added night sights, and also picked up some Taran Tactical mag extensions for my spare mags.
View Quote

@steve8140
Regarding the Apex duty kit, did you do the whole kit or just the Springs?

How are the Taran mag extensions compared to the factory 8 round in length? Don’t want to make it too long
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get the Apex trigger  and you are GTG.
View Quote

@JT_26

I’m leaning that way, just the cost of it right now is only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the Apex kit with just the internal parts for my Shield.  I didn't see any benefit in getting the full kit for that particular gun, and it was considerably less expensive without the trigger.  Also added AmeriGlo I-Dot sights and some Pearce "+0" extensions for the 7-round magazines.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got the Apex kit with just the internal parts for my Shield.  I didn't see any benefit in getting the full kit for that particular gun, and it was considerably less expensive without the trigger.  Also added AmeriGlo I-Dot sights and some Pearce "+0" extensions for the 7-round magazines.
View Quote

@spinr
Thanks for heads up , will have to look up those Pearce extensions

I may do like you did concerning trigger, mainly cause I’m not a huge fan of the hinged trigger
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@steve8140

How are the Taran mag extensions compared to the factory 8 round in length? Don’t want to make it too long
View Quote

I dont have the Tarans but do have the Hyve ones, like them a lot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@steve8140

View Quote

@crazysarge16
I only replaced the springs, it was back in 2013 when I bought the gun.
The Taran Tactical extensions have been great so far. They do make the mags a good amount longer which is why I carry with the flush mag but use these as my backup. Here’s some pics to see the difference between the 7,8 and extended 10 round mags.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@crazysarge16
I only replaced the springs, it was back in 2013 when I bought the gun.
The Taran Tactical extensions have been great so far. They do make the mags a good amount longer which is why I carry with the flush mag but use these as my backup. Here’s some pics to see the difference between the 7,8 and extended 10 round mags.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223734/EAC4D57C-DA1B-44A8-B092-B5819CB6BF1F_jpe-1433991.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223734/BD97D76F-82DE-4F61-9F58-B0B5DFFC7D1F_jpe-1433993.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223734/image_jpg-1433994.JPG
View Quote

@steve8140

Thanks for the pictures, that really helps a lot! Think I’ll pick up one Taran Tactical for a back up mag and keep the rest of mine the same

I keep looking at the spring kit and debating on whether I want that or get the whole kit cause I like a more flat faced trigger. Just in that moral dilemma stage to see if I want to spend the money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top