Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2018 12:45:29 AM EDT
I have posted a similar question in the sig sub group.

I am wondering which to get.

I want to be covered when I travel (even through banned states), and if they start limiting my mags here.

Which do you recommend. I had posted in the general discussion and decided on staying 9MM. Cheaper ammo and I can carry more mags.

I have been able to hold a 938 tonight and have held a Shield.

The only issue is, I will IMMEDIATELY trade or sell the flush mag because I must have the grip mag.

What do you all think?

Which should I get?

ETA: would a full size, stock M&P be a good trade for one of these?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
FW_wife went w/ the 938, don't think she shot the Shield.  She likes the 938, I don't, I find the recoil is too harsh and I carry a Glock 23.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Walther pps M2
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I've not shot or handled a 365, so no comment there. I own and have carried both the Shield and the P938. In my opinion, it's no contest. The 938 is a better gun in pretty much every way. If the grip is a little small for you, get the Hogue grip. It makes a big difference. My 938 (with the Hogue grip) is more comfortable, has less recoil and is more accurate. Your mileage may vary.

The only reason I'd pick the shield is if I wasn't comfortable carrying cocked and locked for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of me Wants a P365 because of their size and capacity but my unemployed finances says no until I'm gainfully employed again.  Even then I'll have to handle and try one.

While I like the notion of the SA with safety P238/938 Sigs I don't want them for pocket guns.  Only as belt guns because they need to be carried in condition one to make me feel comfortable.

I tried a Shield and a Sig P290RS side by side and chose the the Sig.  Only my thoughts and YMMV.

Best of luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The 26 is wider than the SIG 365, but you can build one w/ no paperwork and it uses the standard magazine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the help. The only reason I said I needed a extended mag was because with the smaller grip my pinkie just floats around with nothing to do.

Eventually, I would like this to be my carry to every state gun so I believe these three will allow me to do that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just checked the MA gun approved list, the P365 is not on it.

So I am now limited to shield or 938. Quality and mag price may be the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:03:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only issue is, I will IMMEDIATELY trade or sell the flush mag because I must have the grip mag.
View Quote
Based on this Id say Shield, since it has the largest grip of the three. Still nice and slim but with the extended mags its a full grip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I was leaning that way. I think the other is very nice but the shield is longer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#11]
love my shield. shoots well for such a small gun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my FS but am wanting to downsize for a few reasons.

1) I am traveling and will go through banned states. I don't want to worry about what I am carrying.

2) I am concealing more. Before, I was where I could and should OC.

3) have a feeling my state will soon follow after others. I might as well prep as I can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Is the 938 on the California list?  Or does it not matter, since you can't get a carry permit there anyway?  Would love to know the combination of permits you have.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the 938 on the California list?  Or does it not matter, since you can't get a carry permit there anyway?  Would love to know the combination of permits you have.
View Quote
It is not on either the list that is gtg or the list that removes it. I just don't see it anywhere.

Honestly, this is stupid the hoops that have to be jumped just to exercise our rights.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure you have to have a pistol from the Massachusetts list unless you're buying a new pistol in Massachusetts.  Same in California.  I think those are new sales only specific lists, not that you can't carry a pistol from out of state on a carry permit or in your vehicle.

From what I vaguely remember, Massachusetts specific triggers suck donkey balls.

If I could hire enough lawyers, I think I could get carry permits to carry everywhere but California, NYC, & Hawaii.  For those three I'd have to rent or buy a property there.

But the general prescription for a carry pistol is 10 round magazines, and no hollowpoints in NJ, Hornady plastic tips excepted.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]
It all depends on what you feel comfortable carrying-a standard striker fired pistol (double action) vs. a 1911 style pistol (single action). They are all great choices and you can't lose on any of them. For me, I cannot get used to or feel comfortable carrying a single action/1911 style pistol, so my choice was easy. Some prefer the opposite. I have a Shield and like what it offers. Mags are cheap,($19.99 for the 8 round from CDNN Sports-there are others out there that offer similar prices). There are some amazing deals on these lately, PSA had them on sale for $249.00 the other day. For the money, they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
OP, I am thinking of buying one or more of the 3 guns on your list. I thought I would mention that a company called Maggutz can increase the 7 & 8 round mags by 1 or more for the Shield. I like all three guns and may buy at least two of them in the coming months.
Check into the Maggutz for the Shield. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not sure you have to have a pistol from the Massachusetts list unless you're buying a new pistol in Massachusetts.  Same in California.  I think those are new sales only specific lists, not that you can't carry a pistol from out of state on a carry permit or in your vehicle.

From what I vaguely remember, Massachusetts specific triggers suck donkey balls.

If I could hire enough lawyers, I think I could get carry permits to carry everywhere but California, NYC, & Hawaii.  For those three I'd have to rent or buy a property there.

But the general prescription for a carry pistol is 10 round magazines, and no hollowpoints in NJ, Hornady plastic tips excepted.
View Quote
That is interesting. I knew HP was no go in NJ but the thing about the list is new.

I did a search and it seems even my conceal permit is not allowed in some of the states. I should try to get a few non resident license just to increase where I can go.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It all depends on what you feel comfortable carrying-a standard striker fired pistol (double action) vs. a 1911 style pistol (single action). They are all great choices and you can't lose on any of them. For me, I cannot get used to or feel comfortable carrying a single action/1911 style pistol, so my choice was easy. Some prefer the opposite. I have a Shield and like what it offers. Mags are cheap,($19.99 for the 8 round from CDNN Sports-there are others out there that offer similar prices). There are some amazing deals on these lately, PSA had them on sale for $249.00 the other day. For the money, they are hard to beat.
View Quote
The mag price is appealing.

That price is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, I am thinking of buying one or more of the 3 guns on your list. I thought I would mention that a company called Maggutz can increase the 7 & 8 round mags by 1 or more for the Shield. I like all three guns and may buy at least two of them in the coming months.
Check into the Maggutz for the Shield. Good luck.
View Quote
Thanks. I really appreciate it. I will check them out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have owned both the shield and the Kimber micro 9 which is very similar to the 9:38 and I sold the shield and kept the ember. It's just a little bit smaller but it's much more concealable and comfortable.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Walther pps m2 should be on your list also. I have a shield 1.0 but a couple of friends have the pps. Great little gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have owned both the shield and the Kimber micro 9 which is very similar to the 9:38 and I sold the shield and kept the ember. It's just a little bit smaller but it's much more concealable and comfortable.

https://i.imgur.com/HwB0Qsd.jpg
View Quote
I did price the Kimbers. They are nice.

But I am possibly looking at an even trade and I may be able to get one on the shield.

If money was no option, Sig, Kimbers, Dan Wesson, or something higher would be on my list for sure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Walther pps m2 should be on your list also. I have a shield 1.0 but a couple of friends have the pps. Great little gun.
View Quote
I am not real familiar with a Walther. I heard the can be across the board for function. I don't know if this is true but just what I heard.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#25]
All three of these are really nice guns. So in then end you won't make a bad choice.

My next carry gun is going to be the 938 so that's the one that I would say that you should go with. I agree with you that I don't like the flush mags and grip mag is what makes this gun worth carrying. I like it because it is very compact but with the grip mag you feel like you have full control over the firearm. And it's size is going to make it a little easier or more comfortable to carry. The only down side would be I think it has a slightly smaller mag capacity than the Shield and the P365.

That being said the Shield and P365 aren't far off in size so then it comes down to your personal preference.

Your M&P will give you some good trade value but depending on who you're trading it to (private party or gun store). With the private party you'll be able to get close to the used retail value for it. If you trade it into a gun store you'll likely get 70 to 80% of the used value...sometimes less.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All three of these are really nice guns. So in then end you won't make a bad choice.

My next carry gun is going to be the 938 so that's the one that I would say that you should go with. I agree with you that I don't like the flush mags and grip mag is what makes this gun worth carrying. I like it because it is very compact but with the grip mag you feel like you have full control over the firearm. And it's size is going to make it a little easier or more comfortable to carry. The only down side would be I think it has a slightly smaller mag capacity than the Shield and the P365.

That being said the Shield and P365 aren't far off in size so then it comes down to your personal preference.

Your M&P will give you some good trade value but depending on who you're trading it to (private party or gun store). With the private party you'll be able to get close to the used retail value for it. If you trade it into a gun store you'll likely get 70 to 80% of the used value...sometimes less.
View Quote
Thanks. I did mention in my other thread that I like my M&P.

However, I loved my sig P250.

The biggest issue is cost. I can do a direct trade for a shield while trying to come up with a cost for added money for a sig would be tough.

I would love a sig.

I did hold a 938 and a Chile side by side and the shield won because of the grip size. Cost plays a major part though and Shields are cheaper.

ETA:
Found a couple of things to help make the p365 more attractive. I am down to that and a shield.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am not real familiar with a Walther. I heard the can be across the board for function. I don't know if this is true but just what I heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have not seen or heard anything bad about the Walther’s, any of them. The magazine for the Walther is a little more expensive than a shield, but you only need a couple.
The Walther pps has been on sale for $299 with two mags.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you for the info. I really do appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#29]
I prefer the SIG in every way.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I prefer the SIG in every way.
View Quote
I held the 365 for the first time and am leaning that way. Loved the gun.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Sig fan and had a p938 for several years but never really warmed up to it.

The 10 lb SA trigger pull is ridiculous IMHO, dropping in the Mustang spring made a big difference and if you own one I'd recommend it.

The weight of the gun never bothered me but I never felt like the gun fit my hand well enough, even with a pinky extension, to manage the recoil. Now just for reference I've also had a Kahr PM45 that I shot without issue.

I've had a Shield 9mm 1.0 for many years, soft recoil, accurate, reliable. I don't care for the flush mags, I always had better results with the 8 round extended mags. Only complaint on those were the spacer at the bottom not staying in place when out of the gun. I eventually went with a Samson magwell grip and just removed the spacers. it's a full length grip for me but still flat enough. I also have a Shield .45 and the grip fills my hand a little better than the 9 but it's also a little bigger in every dimension and is heavier loaded with 230 gr.

The 365 is an interesting design but til the price comes down and it has more time to prove itself, I'll pass for now. But it's one I'm keeping tabs on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I have carried a well used Gen. 1 Shield for the last two years. I have shot the hell out of it and it's never missed a lick. It eats gold dots, hst, xtp, ball and even steel without a single ftf or fte. That says a lot in my book. So much so that I have been hesitant to be tempted by anything else.  I carry an 7 round mag with Maguts internals taking it to 9+1 rounds, with a 8 round mag minus spacer for reloads. The 9 round mag only sticks out about a 1/4" past the grip which is just enough purchase for your pinky. If I need more firepower I carry a G19 or M&P 2.0 compact.  There may be better guns out there, but for me the 10 round Shield has been perfect.

ETA Pic with 9 round magazine:

Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Well...now I am torn.

Crap. Wish I could get both.

I really like the sig but if I can get the ten round mags, I know I can trade for a shield quickly.

Eta: it looks as though I can get mag extensions for both the 7 and 8 round mag. Takes them to 9+1 and 10+1.

Are there any states that have banned this configuration?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I picked up a Shield 2.0 maybe three months ago, it's a neat little pistol,
I've got 750 - 800 rds of mixed ball and HP through it without a single
hic -up of any kind, including 147gr HST, its surprisingly accurate
for it's size and it's worked out well for M-F edc at work.
My wife gave me some extra Shield mags and Magguts kits for Christmas
so I'll see how they run this weekend, they're pretty slick, I put a +1 in
the flush mag for 8rds, a +2 in a flush mag for 9rds thats only .25" longer
and a +2 in a 8rd for 10rds thats only and additional .25"
I did handle a 365 at a lgs a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed,
I expect I may own one at some point, but think I'll wait and see how they
hold up with high round counts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Walther pps M2
View Quote
One of if not the most underrated single stack out there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#36]
OK, I had an opportunity to handle a P365 today at a LGS. I did not have an opportunity to shoot it.

I was pretty shocked to see its size and weight. It feels considerably smaller than the Shield I have been carrying for two years.

The first thought that went through my mind was "How can this hold ten rounds?"

In fact I would venture to say it may be too small if that's such a thing. Visions of the Kel-Tek PF9 recoil flashed through my mind. It felt more like an LCP than something similar to the Shield to me.

I am not sure I am ready to throw down $500 on it today, but it did get me thinking about a possible future purchase.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I picked up a Shield 2.0 maybe three months ago, it's a neat little pistol,
I've got 750 - 800 rds of mixed ball and HP through it without a single
hic -up of any kind, including 147gr HST, its surprisingly accurate
for it's size and it's worked out well for M-F edc at work.
My wife gave me some extra Shield mags and Magguts kits for Christmas
so I'll see how they run this weekend, they're pretty slick, I put a +1 in
the flush mag for 8rds, a +2 in a flush mag for 9rds thats only .25" longer
and a +2 in a 8rd for 10rds thats only and additional .25"
I did handle a 365 at a lgs a couple of weeks ago and was pretty impressed,
I expect I may own one at some point, but think I'll wait and see how they
hold up with high round counts.
View Quote
Time is the biggest factor right now. M&P has the time behind it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

One of if not the most underrated single stack out there.
View Quote
I did get to handle it. It was nice but not as comfortable for my grip. But i did check them out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OK, I had an opportunity to handle a P365 today at a LGS. I did not have an opportunity to shoot it.

I was pretty shocked to see its size and weight. It feels considerably smaller than the Shield I have been carrying for two years.

The first thought that went through my mind was "How can this hold ten rounds?"

In fact I would venture to say it may be too small if that's such a thing. Visions of the Kel-Tek PF9 recoil flashed through my mind. It felt more like an LCP than something similar to the Shield to me.

I am not sure I am ready to throw down $500 on it today, but it did get me thinking about a possible future purchase.
View Quote
I was impressed as well. However, the cost, the Price of mags, and my budget is all part of my thoughts right now.

I am, for those reasons, leaning toward the shield. I can get the mag extenders for the mags and get close if not right on the 10+1 mags on both.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#40]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Shield-9mm-1-0-Version-Slippery-Grip-Frame-Talon-SkateBoard-Tape-Good-Except/16-185589/

The Talonized Shield 9mm 1.0 version or the newer super gripped 2.0 version are far superior to the competition.  This from a Glock guy.

The Shield 9 1.0 just runs and runs feeding firing ejecting anything that says 9mm on the headstamp.  The Talon grips make it fast to shoot. It simply works.  7 or 8 round mags give size options.

My 43 has a horrid trigger.  I haven't yet got Glock to sub in a (-) 5.5# instead of the ( ) 8# early version.

The SIG.  Ha Ha.  You really want to trust MumByeMIM parts waiting for them to break and on and on for the defects.

Hint:  A couple rounds of capacity do not make up for a shitty too small grip and questionable QC and Indian MIM parts.

The Shield works.  Is refined by now.  Nothing needs fixing.  And just keeps working.  You can chase every fad gun and go broke.  One that is proven to work is far better than the latest and greatest QC failure.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Shield-9mm-1-0-Version-Slippery-Grip-Frame-Talon-SkateBoard-Tape-Good-Except/16-185589/

The Talonized Shield 9mm 1.0 version or the newer super gripped 2.0 version are far superior to the competition.  This from a Glock guy.

The Shield 9 1.0 just runs and runs feeding firing ejecting anything that says 9mm on the headstamp.  The Talon grips make it fast to shoot. It simply works.  7 or 8 round mags give size options.

My 43 has a horrid trigger.  I haven't yet got Glock to sub in a (-) 5.5# instead of the ( ) 8# early version.

The SIG.  Ha Ha.  You really want to trust MumByeMIM parts waiting for them to break and on and on for the defects.

Hint:  A couple rounds of capacity do not make up for a shitty too small grip and questionable QC and Indian MIM parts.

The Shield works.  Is refined by now.  Nothing needs fixing.  And just keeps working.  You can chase every fad gun and go broke.  One that is proven to work is far better than the latest and greatest QC failure.
View Quote
That looks sharp. I am looking at a 2.0 but it looks as though everything I want can be done in a 1.0.

Eta: any reason to go 2.0 over 1.0?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#42]
1).  The factory textured grip is preferrable.

2).  Generally a better trigger.

3).  Reliability improvements, simple evolutionary experience making them run.

Worth the extra unless you already have a 1.0

Shoot a Shield and you will discover the 7 round mag is useful.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#43]
All great points on keeping the shield. You talked me down from the ledge.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I just ordered the Shield 2.0 #11810 today, hope to have it early next week. I own a G43 that shoots very well so this will be a test to see which one that I like best, time will tell. I have read so many reviews on the newer Shield and it just seems like a winner.

Shield 2.0 9mm #11810
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:08:50 AM EDT
[#45]
My lgs just got 2.0 in. 409ish. May go see what I can get.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#46]
So far the 3 mags I put the Magguts kit's in have run 100% with
Speer,S&B 115gr ball, Golden Saber 147gr and HST 147gr.
only about 100 rd's so far but 8+1 with a flush fit mag and
9+1 with a .25" extension is fairly impressive.
The 9 rd is pretty nice, it's about .25" shorter than the factory
8rd and gives significant grip improvement without compromising
much in conceal-ability.
Impressive enough, so I wont mind hold off one the 365 for a while.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I have owned and shot the Shield 1.0 before and I had put almost 3000 rounds through it with no issues at all but I sadly had to sell years ago and never got back around to replacing. I have owned the G26 GEN3 and GEN4 and as much as I tried to like them I just couldn't and I had put almost 4000 to 5000 rounds through each of them before I got rid of them. I owned a 365 and I put around 3000 to 4000 rounds through it as well. I liked it for the size but it was just a tad to small for me and I have small hands. I also found that the 365 was a little bit harder for me to shoot for some reason and I am thinking it was due to the grip size.

I had been looking for another Shield to replace the one I had to sell but everyone around wanted almost $400 for a used one that had been shot to shit and was not taken care with one mag and regular sights and shit. I was lucky enough to find a sweet deal here in the EE and picked up a very nice Shield Performance Center in 9mm that the seller had already Apexed out and set it up very nicely. I had been able to shoot Performance Center Shield as a friend of mine has one. That thing shot very nice and I had kind of been looking for one but around here the LGS's were wanting almost $600 just like the charge for NIB Glocks

Like others have said if you can try and shoot them before you buy as that is the best way to see what you would really like and what would really work for you. I also take into consideration proven performance history and track record. Parts availability and support from the manufacturer and after market parts support. Also like other have said the Shield has proved itself over time and does have a nice performance track so you really could go wrong with either the Shield 1.0 of the 2.0 as a CCW gun or hell even as a night stand gun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks like I am going for a shield.

Found a 2.0 for $409. Going to see what kings of trade i can cert for my full size.

Then I will get some mag extenders.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Found a 2.0 for $409. Going to see what kings of trade i can cert for my full size.

View Quote
Check this one out, three mags and night sights...

Shield 2.0 9mm N/S w/three mags
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
PSA recently had the Shield 9 w/night sights for $279 and sold out. You may want to monitor the sight and see if that deal returns anytime soon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top