Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2018 2:26:33 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me about them? Actual first hand experience?

How do you like them?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
no one?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
People buy them.  Not ready for prime time.

Auto safety engagement with snappy .380acp seems fixed in recall Spring 2018.

Feeding malfs continue despite at least one new spring design and possibly two.  Springs too weak to control and feed last round or two.

Spotty triggers/pull for shiest on some.

Below:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Shield-380-EZ-last-round-in-magazine-gets-ejected-instead-of-chambering/16-183078/
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife bought one for herself about a week ago because due to a wrist problem, she's been struggling to manipulate the slide on her M&P 9c which is her carry gun.

She likes it a lot; it's been perfectly reliable so far  for 100 rounds, accurate, and almost effortless to manipulate.

It's light, thin, and pretty accurate as well,  with very little perceived recoil.

I think S&W hit a home run with this little pistol designed for use by folks with limited physical capacity and hand strength.

If it continues to prove reliable it will replace the M&P 9c to become her carry gun.

@voland
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought one a couple (three??) months ago.

Found out while registering the serial number on the S&W website that it was on recall for the moving safety issue.  Sent it in.  Got it back a couple weeks later.

Bought FMJ (Federal I think) and hollow points (Remington) and headed to the range.

Function has been 100% with both rounds.  No other brands tried, yet.

Accuracy is on par with my M&P 9MM FS pistol, meaning it would never be my first choice for carry if I can carry one of my CZ's.

My wife said she might want one.  Till I told her I'd trade her a new .380 EZ for her CZ75 Compact.  Then she back pedaled on the desire for one of them.

It may look like it's striker fired but it has a hammer inside the frame/slide that is concealed/covered/protected during operation.  At some point I'll buy another magazine, or two.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife's go to pistol. great little pistol.  Has some wrist and hand issues.  As far the safety issue I was never able to duplicate it after testing with some hot loads.  I still say grip issue caused and solves the issue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I just found out a friend of mine is now carrying one of these.

He's been carrying a J Frame for years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Picked one up in a trade.  Shot it last weekend for the first time.  I really liked it.  Put 50 rounds (all I had) without failures.  Accurate at 10 yards.  No recoil.  I need surgery for ulner nerve compression, so a bit sensitive to recoil right now.  Mine's is a winner.  Will give it to my sister and pick up another for myself.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I helped a lady Friend learn to shoot the 380 EZ.   She used to shoot years ago but had difficulty manipulating many other handguns because of age and arthritis.   She qualified with the S&W 380EZ for her CCW permit.    Her husband’s health has declined and she felt the need for a CCW and the 380 EZ works well for her.   As far as I know the pistol has been 100% reliable.   The 380EZ was accurate enough for me to trust it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I got to shoot a mag.  at the range a couple weeks ago .
It was a very nice gun to shoot ,no real recoil , just nice to shoot , no issuses.

The owner said he had a little over 100 rds thru it .
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know if it is a blowback system like most 380s, or a locked-breech like the Glock 42?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Locked breech.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hammer, rather than striker, fired too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pistol.  Perfect for beginning shooters.  I recommend not getting the external safety version.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked one up used (no safety) this summer as a trainer for my wife and her mother.

Only issue was occasional stovepipes, which isn't uncommon. The mag springs were way too soft.
Tried some stronger springs which fixed that but lost a round of capacity.
I'd heard the newer mags had stronger springs and that's true. Bought two new mags which worked right out of the box. Both new mags had yellow paint on the last few coils of the springs.

So I sent the original mags back to S&W who sent me brand new mags. Oddly, these replacement mags did not have any paint or markings on the springs but they work fine, no more feed issues.

Other than that, no issues. At 7 yards it seems to group as well as my Shield 9mm or PPS 9mm. Nice light single action trigger, not too much creep or overtravel. Recoil spring is pretty light so it handles light loads well. The back of the slide past the serrations is flared which makes it super easy to rack. It's longer than my Shield and the grip is a tad wider & longer so it seems to fit everyone's hand well.

I think I may keep this one, I thought I'd be trading it in for a G42/43 in six months or give my Shield 9mm to my wife but it's a really good gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Wish they'd do a version without the grip safety.  I've no particular beef with it....it just seems like gilding the lily....
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wish they'd do a version without the grip safety.  I've no particular beef with it....it just seems like gilding the lily....
View Quote
I am with you on this about the grip saftey. I will be holding off on these and se if they just might release one with out the grip saftey. I was looking at one of these and they seemed nice but I don't know anyone who has one I could try out,.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My fiance tried one at the range last weekend. She loved it. This will be her (truly) first handgun. We've put a lot of 9mm down range with various handguns, she just isn't having fun with the recoil from 9mm...even with full size all metal ones.

Im not a fan of .380 or low capacity mags, but she reeeealy enjoyed shooting/loading it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You lucky bastards.  Mine SUCKS.  Inertial last round feeds with every mag....and this is a REWORK gun that was supposed to be "fixed".

I am going to demand a refund from them.  Pfft...wish me luck.

I am very glad everyone else is having great luck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got back from the range with my Daughter. We rented one for her to try as I have had my eye on these since they came out.
this was a rental gun, we ran 100 rds of Aguila 95 gr. Ball thru it. it was dirty and I did not lube it.

Her first magazine of 8 rds at 5 yds... she figured out what she was doing with those two low shots... anticipating...

after she warmed up

one full magazine at 25 yds

She liked it a lot.. (Does not like my Glocks).
She liked the trigger, the sights, the ease in loading the mags nd manipulating the slide.

The grip safety was not a factor... it just worked... I ran a magazine thru... I kinda liked it....then I felt dirty and drew my G19 and all was right with the world

I do believe this will be the handgun I buy her when she turns 18.

No malfunctions at all, but only 100 rds, but it was a dirty rental gun....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top