Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up one of the 2.0 shields from Brownells when they were running the 10%+ free shipping and $25 gift card (along with a $50 mail in rebate from S&W).  I couldn't pass at the price it came out to.

So far its running great with 147 and 124 Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guessing you forgot this isn’t GD?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at this guy with his two carry pistols and his fermica counter tops
Guessing you forgot this isn’t GD?
I thought it was funny.

Shot the Shield. It recoils less than the G43 but I am WAY more accurate with the GLOCK.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Put a Hogue "Handall Jr" on the G43 and it handles very nice. The older Shield was slick as a baby's butt, and Smith has such a shitty trigger, IMHO. I would have to put an Apex trigger in the shield. I tried three G43's at my LGS and I picked the sweetest trigger, there was a noticeable difference between them. I shoot the G43 very well and it fits my muscle memory as do my other Glocks. Mine has Trijicon HD "Lime" front night sights which are my favorite. The 2.0 Shield has been calling to me to try, but I must resist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig P365 makes the Glock 43 obsolete.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang this thread!! Like I don’t want a 45 shield bad enough already lol. Wife has the 9mm shield and loves it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it does once Sig can show a similar level of reliability over time.  That won't happen in the short term, even if the current production P365 is 100%.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dang this thread!! Like I don't want a 45 shield bad enough already lol. Wife has the 9mm shield and loves it.
View Quote
It's just money!  Arfcom told me so!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Going to get a lot opinions. I hated my 43. No real reason. Just didn’t get along with it. However shot my buddies ext mag, Dawson sights, apex trigger, g43 and loved it.

Love my Walter pps m2!!!!! Not 1 single bad thing to say about it. Recently picked up a sig p365. Holds more ammoand is a touch smaller. But I shoot that pps noticeably better
View Quote
I also hated my 43.

But I didnt like my shield (first gen) either.

BUT my reason for not liking the 43 was I just didnt like shooting it.  It was 100% reliable.  My shield wasnt
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
G43. Shot all the single stack 9's and owned the PPS M2 and G43. G43 no doubt about it. Best reliability, size, weight, shoot-ability of all of them. The shield feels thin and cheap to me. PPS m2 has the best ergos but the trigger sucks. Overall, can't beat the G43 with some good night sights. Plus I like Glocks because I can use a striker control device on them to drastically improve safety when reholstering.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G43. Shot all the single stack 9's and owned the PPS M2 and G43. G43 no doubt about it. Best reliability, size, weight, shoot-ability of all of them. The shield feels thin and cheap to me. PPS m2 has the best ergos but the trigger sucks. Overall, can't beat the G43 with some good night sights. Plus I like Glocks because I can use a striker control device on them to drastically improve safety when reholstering.
View Quote
I love Glock. However S&W M&P is just as reliable. I have a Shield 9 and 45. I don't know what you are perceiving to be cheap about them? They are very high quality. I would put both of my Shields right with my Glocks. The M&P's do feal very nice in the hand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dang this thread!! Like I don’t want a 45 shield bad enough already lol. Wife has the 9mm shield and loves it.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. The Shield 45 is a sweet shooter. My favorite carry.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is Arfcom: get both! Just picked up a Shield 2.0 9mm today to try out.

https://imgur.com/VJK39iN.jpg
It's spelled Formica, not fermica.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think it does once Sig can show a similar level of reliability over time.  That won't happen in the short term, even if the current production P365 is 100%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This all day!  Reputation is bred from perception and perception as they say, is reality.  I spend a lot of time on a working range that introduces a pretty torturous environment on handguns which are usually secondary, defensive weapons in my training and operational environment.  The members of my team that carry Sigs had initially experienced an excessively alarming number of failures compared to those that carry Glocks, very early on in the transition to the 320.  Keep in mind that most of these guys were carrying the battle horse 226’s and 229’s for over a decade before this 320 came to them and those guns were amazingly reliable and confidence inspiring in our environment.

All of the 320’s (some 9mm and some .40) have been replaced with new “revised” guns and the failure rate has drastically dropped BUT the perception remains and the trust level in that gun is very low.  The guys that carry it (and they have no choice, as they are issued) have VERY little faith in them even though the new ones have been far better and that’s a tuff feeling to wrestle with in an operational environment or any environment where carrying a pistol for defensive purpose.  Not one of those guys carries a Sig off duty, for which they make their own choice.

All that was just a long winded way of saying that it’s very hard to build trust and confidence, but very easy to destroy it.  The psychological aspect of choosing and carrying a gun is just as important (if not more) as the physical considerations.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Loved my shield45, hated carrying it. Unless you wear a t-shirt at all times the built in grip stipling will chew a damn hole in your skin contact area.

My g43 doesnt do that. Still own my g43 for this reason alone.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, after giving the Shield an honest shot (pun intended) it's going up for sale.

For me, everything about the GLOCK 43 is better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a shield 1.0 9mm yesterday for $250 nib. Several shops are getting different varieties of the 1.0’s and selling them pretty cheap. I wanted the green laser but it was $449 and the non safety shield was cheaper.
Would love to find some $15 mags
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I picked up a Performance Center shield this weekend. Didn't really want it... but sales.

Great trigger on them, very smooth.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I couldn't get the Shield to feed reliably with Gold Dot. Picked up a 43 and while it isn't perfect, it has been a good carry option for over three years now. I am definitely interested in the Sig 365 but I have never been a Sig guy so I am reluctant to bother.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I couldn't get the Shield to feed reliably with Gold Dot. Picked up a 43 and while it isn't perfect, it has been a good carry option for over three years now. I am definitely interested in the Sig 365 but I have never been a Sig guy so I am reluctant to bother.
View Quote
If you liked the sig and buy one, they will quit supporting it in two years.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both the Shield and G43. I carry the G43 but the Shield is more comfortable to me and easier to shoot.

Yesterday I ordered a Sig P365. We’ll see how reliable it is. Seems that they’ve worked some of the issues out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#21]
shot a 43 extensively, carry a shield and i can tell you that its splitting hairs. Both guns are ultra reliable, and you said it yourself you will be saving money in the long run with the shield. Id go shield and not look back.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Got lucky with some friends yesterday and got to compare three of the ones mentioned. G43, Shield 9mm and pps M2. Bottom line was they were all good and we could carry any of them. The Shield has a slight edge with the larger mag but all are good.
Pick the one that feels good and you get a good price on
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I ended up with a Black Friday sale Shield 2.0.  I'll try it for a bit, and will likely keep looking for a deal on a G43, lol.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Gen1 Shield, bought it after trying someone's G43 at the range.

I like glocks, but not the sub compacts. The grip is too short and thick for me, the shield is about as small a grip that I can shoot well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Going to get a lot opinions. I hated my 43. No real reason. Just didn’t get along with it. However shot my buddies ext mag, Dawson sights, apex trigger, g43 and loved it.

Love my Walter pps m2!!!!! Not 1 single bad thing to say about it. Recently picked up a sig p365. Holds more ammoand is a touch smaller. But I shoot that pps noticeably better
View Quote
I’m with this guy here.

Not a huge fan of my G43, even after I sent the grip out to have it stippled by Polymer refined.

I bought the PPS M2 sight unseen and have absolutely zero regrets about it. Great shooting, great carrying gun.

Tactile striker indicator is a plus for when I carry appendix.

After owning Glocks for so long, it was a bit of an adjustment getting used to using steel mags. Carried the PPS and a spare mag on a trip to Glacier/YNP; when I got back home I noticed there was corrosion in the mag from being pressed up against my sweaty undershirt for 12+ hours a day. Got a few mags inroate for carry finished in NP3+.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I trusted Sig to make a reliable firearm, I might concede your point.

But I don't
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was wondering about that grip against skin.  It's awesome in the hand, but......  Wonder how long it would take to develop a callus........
View Quote
Don't event know it's there
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
The 43 carries better for me, the Shield worked fine too though. I’ve been carrying the PPS M2 mostly since the wife likes the 43. The M&P 2.0 texture is too aggressive and I had to hit mine with some sandpaper to take of the bite. Grabs the shirt too much and irritates the skin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If I trusted Sig "Cohen" to make a reliable firearm, I might concede your point.

But I don't
View Quote
Edited it for you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#31]
actually would recommend the M&P 9c over the shield or the Glock.   Has the interchangeable grip panels and higher capacity.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
agreed.  had a Glock 43.  could not sell it fast enough.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
actually would recommend the M&P 9c over the shield or the Glock.   Has the interchangeable grip panels and higher capacity.
View Quote
I find the Shield and 43 to carry much better than the thicker gun (M&Pc or 26). Width makes a big difference. I still carry larger guns at times but it requires a greater compromise in comfort.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#34]
1/2 dozen 6 of another, but overall, the shield imo offers the best bang for the buck
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Go with your gut, and which ever one feels best to you and you shoot well.

I went threw this myself a while ago.

I didn't know what I wanted, having only ever being around wheel guns and 1911's. So I went to the local indoor range/rental place. Tried the Shield (Gen 1.), G43, a Springfield XDS, and several others. It was between the G43 and Shield. I liked the Shield better, and bought it. One of the deciding factors was price...Shield was cheaper. Reliability was a non-issue, both had no-hiccups. Shield grip was more comfortable, and the G43 seemed "snappy".

4 years later, no regrets. Shield is still my EDC. The only thing I have done to it is add a Houge grip sleeve, bought some extra mags, and practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I haven't had a pps in hand, might try it.  365 is just outside current budget.
View Quote
When you factor in that the P365 comes stick with great sights and no need for mag extensions as it comes with the 2 10’s and you can get 12’s for your extras.

I’ve got one and move it, better than the Shields or G43 I’ve shot in the past and replaced my PM9.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

When you factor in that the P365 comes stick with great sights and no need for mag extensions as it comes with the 2 10’s and you can get 12’s for your extras.

I’ve got one and move it, better than the Shields or G43 I’ve shot in the past and replaced my PM9.
View Quote
I'm really tempted by the P365, for all the reasons already mentioned.  The capacity over the G43 is a huge improvement.  I'll wait it out a bit to see if the reliability is what it's claimed.  For the record I carry the G43 with a TT+2 extension and I like it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I tried the G43, I now have 3 Shields. Wife carries one of the three. I tried to like the G43 but it was not there for me. I do have 5 other Glocks however,

I put rubber grip tape on my Shields (talon grips) and "mag guts" in the mags, worked perfectly for a very long time. I did also change the sights to Trijicon HDs, huge plus in my book.

Quoted:
Just got back from a range session shooting the 2.0 Shield and G43 side by side, trying to decide which to buy.  Both shoot to point of aim, and groups are the same size, so that's no help.  I like the size of the G43 better, slight preference towards G43 trigger also (Shield is perfectly serviceable).  Mag capacity and factory steel sights are a plus for the Shield.

43 is a touch over $100 more than the Shield.  I would pay a $100 difference for the Glock if I didn't have to immediately throw more money at it to bring the 'feature' level to the same as the Shield.  Add replacement sights and mag extensions to the Glock, price difference is easily more than $200.  If the Shield was clearly an inferior gun, it would be a simple choice, but it checks all the boxes.  I just like the 43 a bit more.

Anything I'm missing in my decision making process?  Anyone have anything specific to add about either gun?  Should I flip a coin?  Buy both?  What sayeth the hive???
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I like my 43, so this inst for me, but Palmetto State Armory has the 9mm M&P Shield on sale for $249. That would be tough to beat.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Get a Shield. It’s a great carry pistol and it’s in your price range. Put night sights and a bike tire on it, be done with it. I carry the shield when I can’t conceal my G19.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top