Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2023 3:49:20 PM EDT
Anyone have any tricks for removing a Shield front sight? Trying to swap the stock white dot out and the thing is in there TIGHT. 1/4" steel punch wrapped in tape and my 4 oz hammer are not moving it at all. Bigger hammer? Heat?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve never had an M&P of any sort where a large hammer and steel punch didn’t do the trick.  In fact, that’s my usual method of removing OEM M&P sights.

I’d try heat next, just because it’s quick.

Then I’d soak the front sight and slide in Kroil then try a hammer again.

ETA:  are you holding the slide in a padded vise?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
My gunsmith had to cut it out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you asked for me... (kidding)

Most definitely SOAK in penetrating oil overnight.

If you have sight & slide tool you'll be 100% ahead of the game.  Not expensive on Amazon - Ebay these days.

But you most certainly can remove the S&W sights with CAREFUL use of a vise and punch.  Go SLOW.  Focus the force on the point you want.  Don't go & just wail away.

Watch the rear sights - I've seen that small springs under the sights on M&P's launch a bunch if not ready for it.

It's been a long while, but I'm pretty sure the Shield is similar .  Anyone who has done it more recently confirm or deny?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I replaced one on a 2.0 and used my sight tool. It is a great investment and not that pricey. They can be had for around $50 and I have done a bunch of my guns.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheap universal tool worked fine on the rear, it's the front that's an absolute bear. I'll try heat, oil, and a bigger hammer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Just to update a bigger hammer and Kroil worked. Fit the new front so it would go in about 1/3 by hand. My backup plan was to cut the sight in half, fortunately did not have to do that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just to update a bigger hammer and Kroil worked. Fit the new front so it would go in about 1/3 by hand. My backup plan was to cut the sight in half, fortunately did not have to do that.
View Quote

@jhon that’s how you do it!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you got it out!  I tried to drift the front sight on mine over a bit, hit it a bunch, gave up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top