Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2018 10:57:14 PM EDT
So I'll be building an 80% handgun and want to put a serial # on it (not required in my state, but IS required for a state I often travel to... NJ).
So I understand the requirements of the criteria for serial #, except the "name" portion.
I am under the assumption this must be MY name (not some made up name)? Also, does it require FULL name (full first, middle, last), or just first/last, first/middle initial/last, or just first initial/middle initial, last initial?
Oh, and yes... this is a sub compact 10 rounder, so it will comply with new NJ law as well.

Can anyone help clear up the "name/manufacturer" requirements for me?
Thanks!

ETA: example (if my name were Homer Henry Simpson), could it be:
H.H.S? HHS Arms? Homer Simpson? Homer H Simpson?
Or could I just make up a name such as "Sexy Slut Sally"? (above version requirement applied)
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Post up the pertinent "requirements" saying you need your name on it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post up the pertinent "requirements" saying you need your name on it.
View Quote
Well, I'm doing a P80 frame, and P80 is NOT the firearm "manufacturer" (80's aren't a "firearm"). I am the "manufacturer" (since I am the one completing it) and most laws state a make/model (manufacturer), address (of manufacture) and unique serial # (for that make/model) are required on registered firearms (remember... I'm trying (was trying. Not doing it anymore) to keep it "legal" in a state that requires all firearms to be serialized/registered.
I've since given up on this project because I found out that state does NOT permit "home builds" in any shape or fashion anyway (states firearms must be from/of a LICENSED manufacturer, which I am not, nor is any "home builder").

ETA: the state I was referring to is NJ. I live in PA and don't have to deal with that nonsense. I'll just keep my "home builds" in PA.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
So if you don't live in NJ, why would you need to satisfy NJ owner registration laws?  I'm fully aware of what a P80 kit is and understand who is the manufacturer.

NJ doesn't honor ANY state's carry permit, regardless of them allowing home built firearms or not.  You're screwed if you get caught carrying your G19 in NJ too.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if you don't live in NJ, why would you need to satisfy NJ owner registration laws?  I'm fully aware of what a P80 kit is and understand who is the manufacturer.

NJ doesn't honor ANY state's carry permit, regardless of them allowing home built firearms or not.  You're screwed if you get caught carrying your G19 in NJ too.
View Quote
Because I have family and friends in NJ who shoot there. It would have been nice to meet up and shoot with them, bringing my preferred handguns. Not to carry, to shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Some restrictive states define carrying as transporting, eg CT, MA, and NY. Possession without a permission slip from the state will get you jammed up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top