Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 8:34:26 PM EDT
Like the title says, I have an opportunity to purchase a new USP9 tactical for $850. Comes with 2 mags. I would suppress it with a SiCo hybrid.

I’ve never shot one but know the history of them. Are they still worth it?
I have a colt M45a1, every glock 9mm, Wilson combat M9, Sog P365 and an HK P30SK LEM and want a more dedicated supressor host 9mm pistol

I love the LEM Trigger and DA/SA actions.

My biggest complaint is the blacked out front and rear supressor sights. Obviously I can shell out more money and change them but I’d have to also buy more magazines for this thing which also aren’t cheap.

For USP owners, would you consider this pistol to be worth it? Or is it’s an outdated pistol with better options out there?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link???

I'll buy it at that price if you won't.  

$850 is a steal.

Hell, I paid $1100 for my USED usp tac 45.

USP is pretty much bulletproof and can be used as a club when you're out of ammo.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m an LEO and work at my LGS on my free time. It’s $950 but I get that friends and family discount lol. Seems like a good deal.
Like i said I’ve never shot one. I hope it’s a good shooter if I go through with it
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Not only no, Hell no.  A car sized 9mm for shy of $1k.  Just stop now.

Get a P99 if you want German DA/SA, with features- that fit in a human hand.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a usp 45 and it is without a doubt my favorite pistol. It puts a smile on my face ever time I shoot it. It’s also incredibly accurate. I’d love to pick up a 9mm version at some point, and if I were you and had the cash, I’d get it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not only no, Hell no.  A car sized 9mm for shy of $1k.  Just stop now.

Get a P99 if you want German DA/SA, with features- that fit in a human hand.
View Quote
That just made me laugh so hard.
The P99 is very convincing as I just watched a couple James Bond’s with Pierce Brosnan haha such a cool gun
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My USPT’s are tack drivers, a pleasure to shoot, boringly reliable and indestructible. Shoot one and you will see what all the fuss is about.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The newer HK are better in ergonomics and magazines capacity.  That said the 9mm USP is built on a .40 frame and you can't afford the ammo necessary to destroy it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The newer HK are better in ergonomics and magazines capacity.  That said the 9mm USP is built on a .40 frame and you can't afford the ammo necessary to destroy it.
View Quote
Yea I’d never buy .40. It’s a dying round and I don’t have any other pistols that shoot it. Modern 9mm I wager out performs .40. I just love the USP and have always wanted one. Would go 9mm.  My 1911 is the only .45 I have and I don’t care to stock lots of it
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a usp-t in both 9 and 45.  As others have stated both are great shooters and imo the best host gun available.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
As a USP-o-phile, I say “go for it”. If it’s the actual Tactical with match trigger and barrel o ring you won’t be disappointed. I just picked up one from another member here for $1100, so $850 is a good price. It suppresses better than my MK 23 or 45 Tactical.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s a hell of a deal.  It’s a great pistol and is built like a tank.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like the USP.  It also has the match trigger which is pretty good imo.  Id jump at that price.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Go for it!

I have a normal USP 9mm and it is light shooting and accurate.  It was a minty LEO teade in with jet funnel mag for $425.

The only thing i wish it had is suppressor sights.

Id buy it, you won’t be disappointed.

On the right with sico O9K...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't care for the blacked out target sights either.  Since you work in a gun shop order the LE model.  Now they are more difficult to come by.  They come with target night sights and a third mag.  That's what I did.  As a general use firearm & suppressor host, there is no better pistol imo.  As for accuracy, the only pistol I shoot better is a P7M8.  Take that for whatever it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I put it in the back of the shop to pay for it next week as we were busy and didn’t have time for my goodies.

The USP does NOT Have “tactical” engraved in the slide and it does not seem to have an adjustable trigger. At least the trigger doesn’t look like the one on HK’s site with the little pad behind it.

It DOES have a threaded barrel and supressor height sights all blacked out. Comes with a total of 4 mags (2 were thrown in)
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Without the roll mark and match trigger you are looking at an SD model.  It’s essentially a USP with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:57:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Is that good or bad? Idk too much about USP’s. So many damn models. Read the box. It is a USP SD V1 with the safe/fire and de cocker.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Without the roll mark and match trigger you are looking at an SD model.  It’s essentially a USP with a threaded barrel.
View Quote
This.

That also effects the price a little bit. That is why it is under a grand.
From what I read online, the SD model is just a standard USP with a extended/threaded barrel and taller sights.
The tactical (the slide says tactical) has the O-ring barrel and match trigger, and taller adjustable sights.
Now if the extra few hundred dollars is worth it to you for the slide marking, barrel and trigger is up to you.
I venture a guess and most regular shooters would not really be able to tell much of a difference (accuracy and performance) between the two. But some professional/match shooters might be able to. The trigger would probably be the most noticeable difference in feel.

With all that said, I just bought a tactical a couple weeks ago and love it! I chose the tactical over the cheaper SD specifically for the roll mark, o-ring barrel, and trigger.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.

That also effects the price a little bit. That is why it is under a grand.
From what I read online, the SD model is just a standard USP with a extended/threaded barrel and taller sights.
The tactical (the slide says tactical) has the O-ring barrel and match trigger, and taller adjustable sights.
Now if the extra few hundred dollars is worth it to you for the slide marking, barrel and trigger is up to you.
I venture a guess and most regular shooters would not really be able to tell much of a difference (accuracy and performance) between the two. But some professional/match shooters might be able to. The trigger would probably be the most noticeable difference in feel.

With all that said, I just bought a tactical a couple weeks ago and love it! I chose the tactical over the cheaper SD specifically for the roll mark, o-ring barrel, and trigger.
View Quote
Nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#20]
This SD model I’m looking at HAS the o-ring barrel. Standard hk 13.5x1 left hand twist WITH an o-ring.

These sights are the adjustable blacked out ones not worried about the sights as I will be getting the meprolight front sight. Keeping the adjustable blacked out rear.

The trigger is my only concern-ish. The DA is pretty meh and the SA is ok. Would be cool to tune it but I have over 1,500 rds set aside for it to shoot over the next month or two depending on weather. Hopefully that’ll break it in and I’ll get used to it.

Thanks for all the updates. I’m excited to pick it up next week.
Got me looking at gettin a SiCo omega 9k here too... would be way lighter than putting my sico hybrid on it
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well I put it in the back of the shop to pay for it next week as we were busy and didn’t have time for my goodies.

The USP does NOT Have “tactical” engraved in the slide and it does not seem to have an adjustable trigger. At least the trigger doesn’t look like the one on HK’s site with the little pad behind it.

It DOES have a threaded barrel and supressor height sights all blacked out. Comes with a total of 4 mags (2 were thrown in)
View Quote
Does it have the mag well & use 18rd mags? That's what really makes the Tactical special, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#22]
No magwell and standard 15rd polymer mags
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive got the 9SD , and a 45T. I thin k the 9 is a great handgun, but I only paid about $650 for it. (used)
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No magwell and standard 15rd polymer mags
View Quote
Well, shit. No "tacticool" badge for you then..............  
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Best deal going is for a .40 Tactical USP.  From someone who thinks the .40 is dead.  And the 9mm is more lethal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The model you read off is the SD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:25:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the USP SD uses a different recoil spring assembly than the USP.

If you don't care about the "Tactical" stamp, get it and add the Match trigger and set screw for $15 plus shipping from HK USA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Best deal going is for a .40 Tactical USP.  From someone who thinks the .40 is dead.  And the 9mm is more lethal.
View Quote
The .40 is dead which is why you see all .40 pistols going on sale. At my LGS we can’t get rid of .40 ammo. Haven’t sold a single .40 pistol in months. Have had multiple people come in begging for us to buy their used .40 glocks, XDs, and M&Ps so they can get a new gun.

.40 wears on pistols much harder, and the ballistics isn’t much better or worse than a 9mm. So yes, with a decent self defense load like hornady or federal HST, I’d much rather take a round that is much easier to shoot, has more capacity yet has the same ballistics as a .40 and is cheaper to shoot.

Anyways, due to certain unfortunate life events regarding my wife getting into a car crash by a drunk, gonna have to get a new car. She’s ok so no worries. I’ve had to set this one back in the shelf and wait for it. I appreciate all the info and am excited to get one... hopefully soon
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#29]
So, I see you’re from Michigan.  So do you have warm weather out there year round or are you a “fair-weather” shooter that doesn’t shoot in colder weather or only at indoor ranges?  The reason I ask this is that when I take my USP-45 Tactical out hunting with me, I’m wearing pretty heavy gloves when the temperature gets down to -20 degrees or so.  As far as I know, no other handgun in current production has a larger trigger guard than the USP/Mk23 models, especially when carried cocked-and-locked.  Lesser designs don’t allow you to safely get access to the trigger with heavy gloves nor do those same designs always allow the trigger to go forward far enough to reset for following shots.  The CZ-75/Tangfolio clones come close but again, not as good as the USP trigger guard.  Not something a lot of people think about but when you live in cold weather areas, it’s something you really should take into consideration.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top