Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 12:59:14 AM EDT
I've got a guy wanting to trade me a like new Uberti 1873 Cattleman in .45 Colt. I know this is a Colt SAA type gun and my knowledge pretty much ends there. I've never owned a single action revolver and honestly never even considered one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
That's what it is, it's an Italian made replica of a Colt Single Action Army. They are used by  Cowboy mounted Shooters Etc.
Fun to shoot but 45 Colt ammo is not cheap, about $0.50 a round and up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot a pair of Uberti SAA clones in 44-40 along with an 1873 lever action rifle in my Cowboy Action Shooting days. All3 were solid performers. Very durable, accurate, and well made. I was shooting 2 matches a month for a while and averaging 150 rounds a match. Add in practice and I was going through around 500 rounds a month for a few years. All three guns ran just fine. I am a reloader so it was very easy to keep ammo costs under control. If you think you are going to shoot it a lot get a starter reloading rig or win the lottery.

Uberti makes good stuff. Go for it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a few sub models of the "cattleman". They range from $400 to a little over $700, depending on the model, barrel length, finish, etc.
What's your end on the trade?

I too had never shot a single action Colt type until last year. I'm hooked now. I found a vintage (1960's) Lawrence fast draw rig and when I go to the range wearing my six gun and drawing and shooting steel one handed, it just makes shooting feel like it's something new again. Hard to explain. My fiancé, who's also been shooting for decades says she feels the same way.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, don't think I'm going to be interested.

If it was either a more commonly available caliber like .38/.357 or something more powerful like .44 mag I might bite.

High priced/low powered .45 Colt doesn't really do it for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it was either a more commonly available caliber like .38/.357 or something more powerful like .44 mag I might bite.

View Quote
Full house magnums will shoot a SAA loose anyway. You want power, go Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Full house magnums will shoot a SAA loose anyway. You want power, go Blackhawk.
View Quote
If by SAA you mean Uberti's, they're far, far tougher than most realize, especially those made in the last few years. Another little tidbit few realize is that they're on par with Ruger's New Vaquero; same size cylinder, same chamber wall thicknesses.

One of my half dozen Uberti SA's is a '90's production 44-40. When I bought it, it was well used. I fitted a
44 Special cylinder to it and have since fired over 3,000 rounds through most of which were hunting loads. She's still in good shape and has maintained her accuracy!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree that .45 Colt is low powered, low velocity yes, but definitely not low power.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Be aware that new production Uberti clones will be of the "Cattleman II" type of action with 3-clicks and the retracting firing pin. I have the Smoke Wagon Deluxe from Taylors & Co. and there is nothing particularly bad about it, as it is far less offensive than a transfer-bar type action. It is a very nice shooting revolver, and the tuned action is very nice. The fit and finish is very good on recent Uberti clones. All imported versions will have this action now: Cimmaron model P, Taylor's Smoke Wagon, or a base Uberti/Stoeger Cattleman II.

Pietta still makes the 4-click Colt-type action on some of their models. These can be found under the EMF Great Western II or the Cimarron Frontier line. I have two EMF GWII and they are pretty good cosmetically, but they have visible casting or MIM marks on some of the small parts, while the Uberti small parts are cosmetically better finished, as well as a better level of polish and blue on the cylinder and barrel. My 2017 produced .357Mag GWII has a decent/average trigger, while my 2018 GWII in .45 Colt has an absolutely fantastic trigger.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uberti's and Ruger New Vaquero's can safely be loaded quite a bit heavier than the original 45 Colt loading of a 250 gr. bullet @ ~850 fps.

My Uberti Frisco shot very well with a 263 gr. cast SWC running 1045 fps as well as a 288 gr. cast SWC running just under 1,000 fps. I chose the latter load because I prefer heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one and like it.  It's a quality piece; looks and feels nice.

It's not useful for anything other than nostalgia.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one and like it.  It's a quality piece; looks and feels nice.

It's not useful for anything other than nostalgia.
View Quote
Eau contraire....

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Touche'.  Point ceded.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Touche'.  Point ceded.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Nicely done ggibbs..........I just got an Uberti 5 1'2" gunslinger in 45colt.. Absolutely love it..I was concerned about the ammo prices, but found a few online places that have decent prices and will probably start to reload this caliber. Now looking for a matching rifle in 45 colt.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nicely done ggibbs..........I just got an Uberti 5 1'2" gunslinger in 45colt.. Absolutely love it..I was concerned about the ammo prices, but found a few online places that have decent prices and will probably start to reload this caliber. Now looking for a matching rifle in 45 colt.
View Quote
Thanks, glad you're liking your 45 Colt.

For more than occasional shooting, handloading is almost a requirement. Using commercial cast bullets, one can load 45 Colt for less than $10 per box of 50 once you have your brass. Cast your own bullets and it's even cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a Cimarron Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 357, a Thunderer with 3.5" barrel.
Case hardened, blued. Nice grips.
I'm still trying to figure out the action, but everything seems pretty smooth.
Shooting soon to follow.

Bought it thinking to make a cross draw gun leather rig for it.
I don't know how useful it will be aside from "style points", but it certainly scratches an itch for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just picked up a Cimarron Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 357, a Thunderer with 3.5" barrel.
Shooting soon to follow.

I don't know how useful it will be aside from "style points", but it certainly scratches an itch for me.
View Quote
What about the action are you trying to figure out? Maybe we can help.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shooting soon to follow.

Thank you!
After reading a bit more in this & another thread, I've got it figured out. It's the "old" style 4-click action.
Set pin for cylinder is underside diagonal on the frame, which the manual also states it's the older style.
Suits me.
The only negligent discharge I've ever had came with a transfer bar equipped single action.
I should get my outlaw model in next week.
Pics then.
The Cimarron Ubertis are nice. Hefty, solid, smooth, nice fit & finish.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:41:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m halfway looking for a 45 Colt levergun myself.  Probably a Winchester-Miroku or Uberti 1866.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Be aware that new production Uberti clones will be of the "Cattleman II" type of action with 3-clicks and the retracting firing pin. I have the Smoke Wagon Deluxe from Taylors & Co. and there is nothing particularly bad about it, as it is far less offensive than a transfer-bar type action. It is a very nice shooting revolver, and the tuned action is very nice. The fit and finish is very good on recent Uberti clones. All imported versions will have this action now: Cimmaron model P, Taylor's Smoke Wagon, or a base Uberti/Stoeger Cattleman II.

Pietta still makes the 4-click Colt-type action on some of their models. These can be found under the EMF Great Western II or the Cimarron Frontier line. I have two EMF GWII and they are pretty good cosmetically, but they have visible casting or MIM marks on some of the small parts, while the Uberti small parts are cosmetically better finished, as well as a better level of polish and blue on the cylinder and barrel. My 2017 produced .357Mag GWII has a decent/average trigger, while my 2018 GWII in .45 Colt has an absolutely fantastic trigger.
View Quote
I have a 4 cliick uberti in 38/357 and love it.  It's accurate once you get used to shooting SAA, reliable, never gave me a lick of issues and pleasant recoil.   love it, highly recommend them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top