Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2018 11:28:17 AM EDT
I'm thinking very hard about giving .40 a try again.

As such I'm looking for something with light recoil in the platform.

I've read that the M&P was designed first as a .40.

I never cared for the first gen M&P trigger but the 2.0 trigger seems much improved.

Guys who own a M&P ans/or 2.0 in .40 what's your two cents on them?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot a few M&P 1.0s in .40 and own a 2.0 in 9mm.

Discounting the trigger in the 1.0, all the ones I have shot, shot very well. Soft recoil when compared to the .40 Glocks I have shot, accurate and seemingly reliable. Not that the recoil of .40 in a Glock was bad, it was just heavier, more snappy and more abrupt than 9mm or .45. I didn't like the recoil characteristics of .40 in Glocks, in the M&Ps it was mild and pleasant. For me, the triggers in the 1.0s I have shot sucked so bad that I didn't even consider them.

On the 2.0, the trigger is WORLDS better than the 1.0. Although I'll readily admit that I haven't shot, or even held, an H&K VP9 or a Walther PPQ (the poly guns that reportedly have the best triggers), the trigger in the M&P 2.0 is WONDERFUL! Light takeup, a well defined wall, a light, crisp break (for a poly gun, anyway) and a well defined, audible and tactile reset. The reset isn't as well defined as a Glock, for example, but it is TONS better than the 1.0 examples I have handled and shot. The takeup in my 2.0 started out kinda gritty but smoothed out very well with use. The 2.0 in .40 should be the same, good trigger combined with good recoil characteristics.

I'm in the same boat. I don't on any .40s but have quite a bit of .40 ammo (I think I have 500 rds of Speer Gold Dot 180gr and about the same amount of commercially reloaded 180gr FMJ), so I've been considering buying a .40, just to have one. Although I don't know if this will hold true in the next panic, in the last panic, .40 ammo seemed to be available and relatively cheap, compared to 9mm, which I usually shoot. Having a .40 would also help with this. The .40 I was considering is an M&P 2.0 to match up with the 9mm 2.0 I already have. If you end up getting one, let us know how it works out.

Bub75
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have shot a few M&P 1.0s in .40 and own a 2.0 in 9mm.

Discounting the trigger in the 1.0, all the ones I have shot, shot very well. Soft recoil when compared to the .40 Glocks I have shot, accurate and seemingly reliable. Not that the recoil of .40 in a Glock was bad, it was just heavier, more snappy and more abrupt than 9mm or .45. I didn't like the recoil characteristics of .40 in Glocks, in the M&Ps it was mild and pleasant. For me, the triggers in the 1.0s I have shot sucked so bad that I didn't even consider them.

On the 2.0, the trigger is WORLDS better than the 1.0. Although I'll readily admit that I haven't shot, or even held, an H&K VP9 or a Walther PPQ (the poly guns that reportedly have the best triggers), the trigger in the M&P 2.0 is WONDERFUL! Light takeup, a well defined wall, a light, crisp break (for a poly gun, anyway) and a well defined, audible and tactile reset. The reset isn't as well defined as a Glock, for example, but it is TONS better than the 1.0 examples I have handled and shot. The takeup in my 2.0 started out kinda gritty but smoothed out very well with use. The 2.0 in .40 should be the same, good trigger combined with good recoil characteristics.

I'm in the same boat. I don't on any .40s but have quite a bit of .40 ammo (I think I have 500 rds of Speer Gold Dot 180gr and about the same amount of commercially reloaded 180gr FMJ), so I've been considering buying a .40, just to have one. Although I don't know if this will hold true in the next panic, in the last panic, .40 ammo seemed to be available and relatively cheap, compared to 9mm, which I usually shoot. Having a .40 would also help with this. The .40 I was considering is an M&P 2.0 to match up with the 9mm 2.0 I already have. If you end up getting one, let us know how it works out.

Bub75
View Quote
honestly the only reason I'm looking at a .40 is just so I have one and so I have one if panic happens again
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO get the 9 or the 45.

The 45 is a great gun. The size is really close to a double stack 9/40, it's pretty unique in a way. Most 45ACP Polymer pistols are really fat/bulky.

The M&P40 is also a nice gun though. If you have tons of ammo I would get it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Felt Recoil wise, the first handgun I ever fired in my teens was an HK USP40 and it was a dream to shoot. Then, the first handgun I ever purchased was a Glock 22 and I didn't care for it as much. The recoil was pretty snappy, but manageable. Then I fired a M&P40 (Gen 1) and found it to be very pleasant to shoot. I can only extrapolate that the M&P40 2.0 would be even better. That said, I prefer 9mm or .45 ACP, but .40 is good in the right gun. If you absolutely HAD to have a striker fired .40, the M&P would be my top recommendation.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm picking up one of these this weekend for the same reason. If a run happens I'll have at least one .40. Also, I can get the RMR / Pro slide and get basically an M&P MOS.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't comment on the 40 but I do have the M&P 45 and it shoots very good with minimal felt recoil. I had some new shooters wanting to shoot it. They couldn't believe how close to their 9mm the recoil was. Now shooting my carry ammo is a little different. I carry with Golden Saber 185 +p ammo. That puts me in 10mm territory ballistic wise anyways.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#7]
You are better off buying a $249 shipped 1.0 from SOS and stippling it yourself.  If you can...
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 2.0 M/P 40 L/E package , comes with night sights  and 3 mags , its been flawless , soft shooter, and the stock 2.0 trigger feels fine the way it is . I been using a Dasantis  leather open top speed scab you forget its on .
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If you can still swap barrels and mags with the 9mm buy the 40 and a 9mm barrel and mags to go with it.

I’m not sure if you can do this though. Maybe someone else can chime in about it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Palmetto has 1.0 40's with three mags for $279 shipped.  Do it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I was in the same position last year.  I wanted a 2.0 Compact but not another 9mm.  I bought one in .40 S&W.  It's one of the softest shooting .40s I have ever fired.  Accurate, reliable and feels good in the hand.  I've carried a Glock .40 many years as a LEO.  The M&P 2.0 is miles ahead of it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Palmetto has 1.0 40's with three mags for $279 shipped.  Do it.
View Quote
I did and I just picked up a 2.0 .40S&W compact. It feels great in the hand. I can’t wait to shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top