Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2018 4:40:01 PM EDT
I run the sandpaper Talon grips on my Glock and that’s what I love. I’m somewhat new to the 1911 platform and thought I would stop here for some advice . I tried various VZ but they are still too “slick”. Anyone recommend a company that makes a sandpaper type grip?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield TRP operators used to have sandpaper type grips. These are the closest thing I could find to them. I have no idea on the quality of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-Grips-Lava-Rock-Texture-Your-Choice-of-10-Colors-Ambi-or-No-Ambi-cut-/281674688836?hash=item41951ea944:g:b7QAAOSwpDdVPYY3
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Jerry Barnhart has some.  Pix are on his web site here: http://jerrybarnhart.com/shop/1911-thick-grip

I've had some on my Beretta 96 (obviously not the 1911 style!) for about 15 years and they are still solid so if these are the same quality they will last forever.

ETA: Since it's been a long time since I bought mine I honestly don't know anything about these, his shipping, or anything else.  I do recall that I ordered mine over the phone, talked to his wife, and they shipped them out that day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
VZ Grips makes some golf ball looking grips named Simonich that are very aggressive.

I prefer them with 20LPi checkering on my guns

I just got a set of Rail Scales I like as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Kensight makes a sharkskin grip that might work for you.
Have never tried them but a lot of bullseye shooters use them

Kensight sharkskin grip
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Which VZ grips have you tried? I've had some very aggressive grips from them and the gun doesnt move in my hand. I also run a checkered MSH and checkered front strap, and that helps too. Their new "Stipple" texture looks damn aggressive, been wanting to try a set of them.

I have a set of the sand-paper style TRP grips in a parts box, if youd like to try them, send me a PM. They came stock on my full-rail Operator, but also came with a set of G10 grips that I prefer.

Edit: Out of curiosity, which 1911 do you have?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which VZ grips have you tried?
View Quote
more importantly, post pictures of your hands...callous city or what?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
sand paper or similar suck for most people to EDC, they will chew clothing or skin. But pretty big in competition circles. I always bought skateboard deck tape (but you can do it with 3m stair traction tape) and cut to fit on otherwise smooth grips. You can also dip grips in epoxy and then roll in actual sand
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
On my first 1911 I pulled the grips and bushings off and ran skateboard tape. Gave me the slimmest 1911 for daily cow for 4ish years. I replaced the tape once a year due to wear. I found slim alumigrips a few years ago and prefer them now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I ran a set of cheap CDNN grips with WalMart skateboarding tape on them for a while.  I honestly liked that setup better than the GatorGrips
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I use to run VZ gunner grips on my 1911s as well, but come to the conclusion that I liked O G pachmarys the best.  They give me the “tacky” I look for as well as the right enough of width.  My hands sweat like crazy and sometimes I even throw some chalk on the grips.
FWIW my hands are pretty rough and have tattoos on my palms.....so my ideas prob. Won’t fit most people’s.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top