Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2022 5:58:40 PM EDT
Bought a model 66-8 last week, got her to the range today and I was shooting to the left..very much to the left. Cycled some more rounds to make sure it wasn’t me but all the shots were left.  I adjusted the rear sight to as far right as it would go and then finally the bullets were center.

In my mind this is either my trigger pull, my grip or the gun is messed up ( bad sights, out of alignment barrel)

Has anyone else encountered something similar to this?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, check if the barrel is rotated.  Is it a pinned barrel?

Also check the crane and frame for any indication that the frame may be bent.

I am assuming it does the same for all chambers?

I have a Taurus rimfire that is like this, and it is likely the barrel was installed wrong.  It is accurate as hell, so I didn't send it in to be corrected.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

The "experts" all say its just me.

This is why I switched to a dot sight.

Now I can just shoot, and not have some "expert" questioning me about why the sight is hanging over the right edge of the gun.

Although I guess dots aren't officially cool on revolvers yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, check if the barrel is rotated.  Is it a pinned barrel?  

Also check the crane and frame for any indication that the frame may be bent.

I am assuming it does the same for all chambers?

I have a Taurus rimfire that is like this, and it is likely the barrel was installed wrong.  It is accurate as hell, so I didn't send it in to be corrected.
View Quote

When I look at the barrel from muzzle towards receiver it does appear to be “crooked” or slightly off center.

The barrel is not pinned

There is a slight gap between the crane and the frame but nothing worse then my J frame.

I truly believe the sight is off center with the 2 piece barrel being crooked
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Take the gun to a USPSA/IPSC match, and ask somebody who wins matches to try it out.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Take the gun to a USPSA/IPSC match, and ask somebody who wins matches to try it out.

View Quote

Not a half bad idea

I have other smith revolvers and I shoot often.

I am not ruling me out of the equation though. I don’t want to get a big head
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I emailed smith and sent pictures.

They have suggested I return it for inspection
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I emailed smith and sent pictures.

They have suggested I return it for inspection
View Quote

they’ll send it back, saying it’s “in spec” and you’ll be right where you started
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe
Maybe not
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got off the phone with Smith and Wesson. They adjusted the barrel alignment, I am scheduled to have the gun back Friday. Glad they did me right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top