Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2022 10:20:24 PM EDT
Broad question I know.  Sold a pre-lock 4" 686 years ago and have regretted it ever since.

LGS has a new mfg. on consignment for $667.00.  Thinking about getting it but looking for feedback on quality of old vs new production.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Newer ones ''might'' have tighter tolerances but overall quality, I'll give it to the old one's.

Not really impressed with all the cut corners on the newer ones. And for what they charge, is it that hard to align a barrel properly?

I think the old 4 and 5 screws were, for the money, the best quality overall.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the old 4 and 5 screws were, for the money, the best quality overall.
View Quote

Yes.  Very serious collector (now passed) I knew said up to about 1968 is peak. Dip for several years then back up in the late 70s to the early 90s. This matches what I've seen (much, much less than him).

Story is the very early 686s got n-frame level attention becuase they were very consciously trying to beat out the Python in LE business at the time.  My observations of several agree they are above-average for the period.  I had a 4" no dash 686 I sold and boy do I regret that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Opinion of a S&W armorer:

The New S&W Model 19 Classic ~ A S&W Armorer's Review

New ones are GTG, they compare well with the old ones
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Newer ones: parts are made to better tolerances, so if something breaks it's easier to replace yourself with little to no fitting. Plus Apex parts drop right in.

Old ones: much more hand fitting, better (smoother) actions, nicer finishes.

If you're a collector go with an older one. If you plan to shoot 20k rounds a year in competition then get a new one, spend $125 on a good action job and go to town.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I want to see S&W finish out a revolver like they did 50 years ago, because I don't see that.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Do new revolvers still have a Hillary hole? That’s a dealbreaker for me…
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

All new S&W revolvers, with the exception of a few J-frame models, have that damn hole.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All new S&W revolvers, with the exception of a few J-frame models, have that damn hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of the ''retro'' models runs they did had them deleted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Fxn, good to know. Are there any of the retro models currently in production? I would most definitely have to check them out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Varies widely.  My Smith collection runs for 1903 to 2021.  The best one of the bunch is a 2009 686 Pro.

Older Smiths weren't hand fitted because of some holy order of gunsmiths.  They were hand fitted because they had to be.  Manufacturing technology of the time required it.  Modern equipment negates that need, or much of it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Varies widely.  My Smith collection runs for 1903 to 2021.  The best one of the bunch is a 2009 686 Pro.

Older Smiths weren't hand fitted because of some holy order of gunsmiths.  They were hand fitted because they had to be.  Manufacturing technology of the time required it.  Modern equipment negates that need, or much of it.
View Quote

I don't think anyone will disagree with that IF the person/s who assembles it is actually paying attention and there are actual QC people that actually reject revolvers that exhibit a flaw or issue and that is where the modern day gun makers fall flat on their face even with easier assembly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
New ones give you tighter tolerances but the CQ leaves a lot to be desired. Not a fan of the two piece barrels, just from a aesthetic point of view. I refuse to buy a S&W with the lock. If someone gave me one with the Hillary Hole I would sell it to help fund whichever barrel length and finish I needed to fill a hole in my 19-2 collection. To those that like the new S&W revolvers, more power to ya. Leaves more of the old ones for me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9l2ipiKf4

View Quote

Great vid.  Wealth of knowledge.  I think I might just get that 686!
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Another Model 19 review.

Smith & Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum Complete Review
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9l2ipiKf4

A poster just posted that his brand new one looks like hammered dog shit.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I owned several of the Bangor Punta S&Ws.  They were kinda lacking and could be hit or miss.

The 625JM I bought last year is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I sold or gave away most of my classic Smith's. I kept the new ones. The old ones have amazing external finishes but horrible tool marks everywhere else...especially the internal surfaces under the side plate.

Anyway, I have a thing against carrying obsolete guns.

The QC of some new Smith revolvers is disappointing...but they will make it right. It's always nicer to be right the first time around.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Just scored a well-worn but mechanically tight  4”  S&W M19-3.

Build date by serial # is mid-1971. It came out of an estate, paid the widow $400 cash.

Bluing is worn is several patches, to include on the barrel near the muzzle, various spots on the cylinder, and under the cylinder latch.  There were a few spots of light rust under the grips, which are aftermarket grips with finger grooves.  I’m pretty sure I can get the rust off, and I’m going to track down S&W factory grips that would be correct for a K-frame, square butt, M19-3

All that said, the cylinder locks up tight and the bore is pristine. The owner was a dedicated reloader of 158grn lead SWCs in .38 Special Ed.  He loaded those to below mid-range velocity and kept the barrel clean. No lead build-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top