Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2021 5:29:10 PM EDT
Have a new to me 27-2 made in 1968 that I`m having some problems with. Would rather use S&W than a local gunsmith.

I`m going to call S&W Monday- but to satisfy my curious nature- is there a age limit to revolvers they will take for repair?

I thought that at one time they listed on their website they don`t take revolvers earlier than the 1980`s, I don`t see anything like that shown now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#1]
When I contacted them to work on my mother in laws early 70's model 19 they said they would happily work on it. I ended up going with someone local as the turn around time was kind of rough.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to update this in case someone else could find it helpful.

Called S&W this afternoon, gave them my revolver serial number, it`s a Model 27-2 made in 1968.

Very nice lady on the phone said no problem, they`d love to take a look at for me. Emailed a FedEx prepaid shipping label and already have the revolver sent on its way.

Bad news is they estimate 90 days before they have the problem diagnosed and contact me, with total time until return most likely 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
6 months isn't bad IMO. I had a rifle sit two years at a gunsmith before it got finished. The great thing is S&W will get it right and you can be 100% confident in the outcome.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
They refinished a 28 for me not too long ago, I would send it to S&W.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is S&W charging you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is S&W charging you?
View Quote

They may decide to wait until they see what's wrong with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You better hope they don't have to replace parts like the hammer or trigger. They don't make forged parts anymore, and will replace them with MIM.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty good service,(shipping on them), for a used gun, if that is what they did. S&W had a great reputation for things like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You better hope they don't have to replace parts like the hammer or trigger. They don't make forged parts anymore, and will replace them with MIM.
View Quote

I don't think they make MIM hammers with firing pins on them. I'm not sure if a modern MIM trigger will fit a 27-2 either. Regardless, those forged parts are damn tough and unlikely to need replacement.

They made a lot of 27s over the years. It would be easy enough to many parts second hand if you need to. I think S&W will let you source parts yourself and send them if need be.

I've sent them all manner of old revolvers over the years and they have always done their best to help me out. IMO they are one of the nicer customer service shops to work with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top