Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2022 11:19:00 PM EDT
I'm pursuing a purchase of a S&W Performance Center 642 (J Frame), and am trying to figure out what the differences are between the three versions that S&W sells.  Does anyone know?  I'm especially interested in any differences in trigger tuning.  One of the three specifically mentions "Enhanced Action" in its name, but it seems the other two have the exact same trigger...or do they?

Grateful for any insights this group might have.  Thank you!

The three versions:

1.  S&W sku 10186 (Model 642 Performance Center Edition) - with the rubber grip with wood insert 10186

2.  S&W sku 178042 (Performance Center Pro Series Model 642) - with rubber grip 178042

3.  S&W sku 170348 (Performance Center Model 642 Enhanced Action) - with wood grip 170348
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Just different grips. I would buy the checkered wood grip one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm pursuing a purchase of a S&W Performance Center 642 (J Frame), and am trying to figure out what the differences are between the three versions that S&W sells.  Does anyone know?  I'm especially interested in any differences in trigger tuning.  One of the three specifically mentions "Enhanced Action" in its name, but it seems the other two have the exact same trigger...or do they?

Grateful for any insights this group might have.  Thank you!

The three versions:

1.  S&W sku 10186 (Model 642 Performance Center Edition) - with the rubber grip with wood insert 10186

2.  S&W sku 178042 (Performance Center Pro Series Model 642) - with rubber grip 178042

3.  S&W sku 170348 (Performance Center Model 642 Enhanced Action) - with wood grip 170348
View Quote

1 moonclip cut no lock extra polishing chrome trigger

2 moonclip cut no lock matte finish, case hardened trigger

3 lock no moonclip cut

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just different grips. I would buy the checkered wood grip one.
View Quote

Not even sorta.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
In the past Performance Center guns had improved actions/trigger pulls where the Pro Series guns are basically production level guns with unique configurations. Whether the cost difference is worth it is totally subjective. Ideally you find them in stock so you can actually dry fire them but that can be tough.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Just chiming in to suggest looking at the no lock 640 Pro which is a very nice 357 option.  Moon cut with factory nite sights front & rear, with a green CT grip it is a very well appointed psckage
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just chiming in to suggest looking at the no lock 640 Pro which is a very nice 357 option.  Moon cut with factory nite sights front & rear, with a green CT grip it is a very well appointed psckage
View Quote

I was thinking about that 640 Pro - even though I can't imagine shooting 357 from a J Frame.  The extra weight of stainless steel should make 38 Special super easy to shoot.  My fear was the trigger may not be as good as a Performance Center 642 - is that correct, or is the trigger similar enough not to be worth going for PC 642 vs a 640 Pro?
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking about that 640 Pro - even though I can't imagine shooting 357 from a J Frame.  The extra weight of stainless steel should make 38 Special super easy to shoot.  My fear was the trigger may not be as good as a Performance Center 642 - is that correct, or is the trigger similar enough not to be worth going for PC 642 vs a 640 Pro?
View Quote

.357 out of the 640 isn't bad at all.  I have carried the Hornady critical defense 125g chronoed At 1250 out of my 640.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Performance center triggers are going to be better. None of them are amazing in my experience and they say it's harder to get a great trigger in the J frame. Have you tried to put hands on any of them? I think there's a point of diminishing return with a J frame gun. They aren't really made for precision work.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The 642 is an Airweight while the 640 is a stainless gun, about eight to ten ounces heavier depending on the configuration.  I much prefer the Airweight for what I typically want a snub nosed .38 for.  That said, I have owned steel framed J frames and have a 3" 360, the Scandium .357.    The Apex trigger kit or even a Wolff spring kit does help some as does just shooting and dry firing them; when installing springs, check to make sure the action surfaces are smooth as well since S&W doesn't seem to put nearly as much effort into fitting them anymore.

ETA- If your eyes are up to it (and mine are getting worse), they can be very accurate.  I do not like the XS Big Dot front sights though as I think they cover too much of the target, but that's just my opinion.  They are also a very good gun for quick, instinctive shooting at close range too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]
You can get a very good trigger in a J-frame.  A TK Custom spring kit in a Model 637 and a Model 60 reduced the single action to 2 pounds and the double action to 7.75 pounds.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can get a very good trigger in a J-frame.  A TK Custom spring kit in a Model 637 and a Model 60 reduced the single action to 2 pounds and the double action to 7.75 pounds.
View Quote

Also, India-Stone "polishing" the rebound slide on all sides as well as the contact engagement points will really smooth things up in addition to the new lighter weight hammer and rebound springs. Just polish to a high sheen wile removing zero metal. Button her back up, insert snap caps and pull the trigger a lot while watching a movie... Open back up and lube the contact points after many dry fires and you have a darn good SA/DA trigger.

I did this to the wife's Smith 642... Before she couldn't get thru 5 shots without not being able to fire the complete cylinder. Now... she practices cylinder dumps at 8 yards.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top