Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2018 10:47:53 PM EDT
What’s the idea behind this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#2]
At least it wasn't a Fitz Special cut job.

But, having said that.....the person probably had the sort of same idea.  And, a lefty to boot.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a Pachmayr custom. Bobbed hammer, relieved trigger guard, bbl stamp, and engraving on frame.

Ironic that it is now sporting Hogue grips......
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a Pachmayr custom. Bobbed hammer, relieved trigger guard, bbl stamp, and engraving on frame.

Ironic that it is now sporting Hogue grips......
View Quote
Original custom grip is still here.
POI is right of POA. Troubleshooting to see if a round butt vs. square makes any difference.
I have a square butt 4” 65 that’s right on but this 3” round butt is off. Might look into regulating it somehow if the grip swap doesn’t help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it on both sides? Might be a lightening cut
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only on the latch side.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only on the latch side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only on the latch side.
All I know is you have a rare piece. Pachmayr didn't do a lot of full house custom guns.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W Texas Ranger Model 19s have the same cut. It is to make it a bit easier to get your trigger finger in quicker and not catch on the guard. Being set up for a lefty I expect it was a customer request custom.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
This is said to have been invented by famous Border Patrolman Bill Jordon.

He had HUGE hands and had trouble getting his banana size trigger finger in the guard on his S&W Model 19.
He thought the old Fitzgerald method of cutting the entire front of the trigger guard off was dangerous, so he had the idea to just cut a half moon section out of the trigger guard to give more clearance.

There was a picture in a gun magazine years ago showing his hand with a coin in it.  
It looked like a dime...... it was a quarter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
S&W Texas Ranger Model 19s have the same cut. It is to make it a bit easier to get your trigger finger in quicker and not catch on the guard. Being set up for a lefty I expect it was a customer request custom.
View Quote
I researched that and the other Pachmayr UC custom guns that turn up on the S&W collector forums have the same thing. It isn't for lefties.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:26:20 AM EDT
[#11]
For some kind of special competition/retention holster?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the idea was that person overthought revolvers.  Nobody ever died in a gunfight because their trigger guard still had the 1/16" of metal still there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Just a guess, is the crane also modified?  Is the cut in the trigger guard to allow the cylinder to open further than a standard factory gun to facilitate reloading with a speed loader?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just a guess, is the crane also modified?  Is the cut in the trigger guard to allow the cylinder to open further than a standard factory gun to facilitate reloading with a speed loader?
View Quote
No mods to the crane.
It doesn’t open any differently than other Model 65s.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I researched that and the other Pachmayr UC custom guns that turn up on the S&W collector forums have the same thing. It isn't for lefties.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting, can't wait to hear the definitive word on what it's for..
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe as noted above, it's for people with bigger mitts and thick fingers who might like the clearance just to get their finger in at an angle.

There's no clearance issue here for me, but imagine if you had longer and thicker fingers, the clearance cut might make it easier to get the whole finger in there for guys who like to really wrap their trigger finger around the trigger.

Just a guess?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top