Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2020 2:19:41 PM EDT
I found a Model 41 in decent shape yesterday, no box with one extra mag. I have $500.00 in it but the tag price was $800.00. I used "trade fodder" to acquire it.

The serial, which according to a chart someone posted on the S&W Fourm puts it made around 1979 - 1980.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I was lucky in one respect. I bought a box of 40 holsters a few weeks back and there was a S&W branded holster for a Model 41 in the lot. Not that I think i will be carrying it afield but it's nice to have.

Attachment Attached File

Since it did not have a box I went ahead and made me a fitted storage case for it that holds the pistol, two spare mags, a box of ammo, and the holster in the lid compartment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A Volquartsen extractor improves reliability on those.

I also had a problem that the safety would pop on during a string of fire.  That is also easily fixed.

I love mine, an absolute tack driver.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up my M41 in 1995, used for $350....used it to shoot in the Chevy Truck Sportsman's Team Challenge until 1998, then kind of retired it as a safe queen... an arthritic knee has me looking at more Steel Challenge and fewer USPSA events, and a local club has a rimfire pistol and rifle combination event...so it has been brought back out of retirement, fitted with a Holosun 507c... a little heavy, but I don't plan on winning the Cadillac anyway... the low slide doesn't really lend itself to the thumb forward two handed grip... mine likes CCI Green Tag...
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I grew up shooting my Dad's 41, and when a friend of a friend was thinning out his safe I picked up his "backup" 41.  SN puts it in the 70's, IIRC.  That pistol will ruin all other .22 pistols for you.

Good score on the holster, I went with a cheapo Uncle Mike's sidekick for mine. Why carry a .22 rifle hunting squirrels when the 41 is just as accurate, if not more so?

Mine seems to like higher velocity ammo more than standard target loads. No extractor problems yet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
One has to be a grown up if one owns a 41.

Put basic CCI STD thru it and if you are not shooting well--- It is not the gun , it's you.

I believe there was a time period when S&W had a bad run of mags , if it isn't running well try a different mag
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad used to let us shoot his Ruger Mk 1, but the adults could only shoot his S&W41.

Kids’ table...
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking pistol!  I picked up a 41 years ago and I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t shot it in at least 5 years.  I need to change that.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I learned on the Model 41.

Bought my son a 1972 for Christmas a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Really miss mine, great pistols

IF it became possible to own ONE ,22lr handgun I'd have a S&W M41 without any hesitation
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Worked with a guy that told his dad he wanted a .22 for Christmas, his dad got him a 41.
Hated that guy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My mom's got a late 90s 41. Man, that is a nice gun.

Love the sights on yours, OP- very old school cool.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Congratulations - you did well.  And nice niche-carving for the carrying case.
I used to take mine rabbit hunting, mostly to sit on a stump with a friend and listen to his Beagles.  Eventually that bunny would come scorching down a path right at us, then backpedal hitting the brakes & stop.  The 41 took over from there. Classic firearm, worth passing on to the right progeny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top