Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 5:13:46 PM EDT
M&P .38 special....  What year?

Attachment Attached File

Also...it’s missing a safety block plunger spring. Anyone know where to find one or a suitable replacement?  Most parts diagrams don’t show the block, plunger, or spring and only show the side plate.
Much thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a copy of the second edition - I will take a look...

(I always seem to have a hard time finding things, because I'm not an S&W guru)

There's a whole chapter of .38 M&P revolvers, and I'm a bit lost there...

The fact that it doesn't start with a letter narrows things down a bit, but not enough for me to have any confidence in what I'm seeing - maybe someone else with more S&W knowledge can help...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By targetworks:
I have a copy of the second edition - I will take a look...

(I always seem to have a hard time finding things, because I'm not an S&W guru)

There's a whole chapter of .38 M&P revolvers, and I'm a bit lost there...

The fact that it doesn't start with a letter narrows things down a bit, but not enough for me to have any confidence in what I'm seeing - maybe someone else with more S&W knowledge can help...
View Quote

From what I’ve read there’s a by year S/N list in the back near the glossary. Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, but it's somewhat mixed in its usefulness (and I'm never quite sure if I've chosen the right section of the list).

nvm
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]

I’m not sure what this is considered. Is it a K frame?  Is it a model 10 or just a “Military and Police .38 Special”?  I know nothing of old S&W’s. It’s a neighbors and I tore it down to clean and figure out what was wrong with the hammer safety. Either way, I appreciate the help!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]
423056 would have shipped in the early to mid 1920s, perhaps 1922 or 1923. Only a letter will give you the exact date.

Previous posters, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't guess. The S/N doesn't have a prefix so it's clearly prior to WWII. The first K frames with a letter prefix were the V (Victory) guns during WWII, then the VS, then just S, then C (fixed sights) or K (adjustable sights) starting in the late 1940s.

Plunger springs are easy to find on eBay and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By hkcavalier:
423056 would have shipped in the early to mid 1920s, perhaps 1922 or 1923. Only a letter will give you the exact date.

Previous posters, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't guess. The S/N doesn't have a prefix so it's clearly prior to WWII. The first K frames with a letter prefix were the V (Victory) guns during WWII, then the VS, then just S, then C (fixed sights) or K (adjustable sights) starting in the late 1940s.

Plunger springs are easy to find on eBay and elsewhere.
View Quote

Appreciate it. If you come across a spring shoot me a message or post here. Been looking to no avail. I’ll check eBay again now.  Not sure what variant that safety block is. This one is not the same, but the spring and plunger may be... Any S&W experts that can weigh in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-Military-Police-38spl-Block-Springs-Pins-S-W-0026-002-015/222533152135?hash=item33d0026d87:g:MJ8AAOSwtplZu~tt:sc:USPSPriority
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Appreciate it. If you come across a spring shoot me a message or post here. Been looking to no avail. I’ll check eBay again now.  Not sure what variant that safety block is. This one is not the same, but the spring and plunger may be... Any S&W experts that can weigh in?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson-Military-Police-38spl-Block-Springs-Pins-S-W-0026-002-015/222533152135?hash=item33d0026d87:g:MJ8AAOSwtplZu~tt:sc:USPSPriority
View Quote

Enjoy. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/358380A
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that it for sure though?  In this schematic the hammer block is shown on the side plate on the bottom right. The plunger and prong for the block are not shown. It’s only a few bucks, but I’d to tell him to order it and then get the wrong part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top