Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2023 5:11:22 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I didn’t see any post on this pistol so I figured it would start one. I Just picked up the M&P 2.0 Metal 9mm and so far I’m really liking it. This is my first M&P other then the ez380 I bought for my wife which an excellent pistol for those who are recoil sensitive. I should point out I have a few S&W revolvers including one of my favorite handguns, a 3 inch model 66 combat magnum. Anyway, back to the Metal. I bought a CHPW plate and installed an 2moa EPS I had on hand.  I can make up my mind on a light so I keep switching lights back and forth between a Surefire x300b and a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. I have had the Metal to the range once and so far have 170 rounds though it without an issue. I find the pistol to comfortable and love the aggressive grip. Accuracy has been outstanding and the flat trigger is really good, I have no plans on replacing it. I was even lucky to grab 3 used 17 round mags off Aim surplus (I should have bought more before then went out of stock) one looks new and the other two are gently used, all work great. Once I decide on a light and pick up a holster this may replace my 19x as my SHTF.

Whats the consensus here, are the M&P Metal’s well received?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my competitor.

The trigger is kind of crappy in my opinion. I'm spoiled by PRP triggers in my XDMs. Long, gritty take up but at least the break is clean and the reset is very positive. Did a 600 rd range session last Saturday. Still gritty so I'll probably polish it up some.

Nobody makes an aftermarket yet. Sadly.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like my competitor.

The trigger is kind of crappy in my opinion. I'm spoiled by PRP Sltriggers in my XDMs. Long, gritty take up but at least the break is clean and the reset is very positive. Did a 600 rd range session last Saturday. Still gritty so I'll probably polish it up some.

Nobody makes an aftermarket yet. Sadly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20230331_120154-2764995.jpg
View Quote

Your competitor is awesome. I love how your SRO sits forward enough to cover the loaded chamber indicator, I hope that prevents the chamber debris from fogging up your optic. I find that my eps needs a quick wipe after about 100 rounds. Additionally I practice a lot of dry-fire with my guns so that may help smooth out my trigger a little, plus I’m a 4.5 to 5.5lbs combat trigger only shooter. No competition triggers for me. Thank you for your reply
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
How does it shoot 115grs ? My 2.0 PC did not like them at all. They kept hitting my optic and dinging it went to 124s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does it shoot 115grs ? My 2.0 PC did not like them at all. They kept hitting my optic and dinging it went to 124s.
View Quote

My competitor was perfectly fine with it.  Not sure if you were asking me or OP. I shoot 115s almost exclusively. No optic strikes at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Still shooting and liking mine. Haven’t replaced my 2.0 with it for carry but once Apex puts out parts for it I may make the swap. Alex told me this week not to use any of the 2.0 parts in the Metal because they’re mostly different and they’re working towards a Metal parts kit. Custom fit barrel, trigger and enhanced fire control kit made a huge difference in my current 2.0.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Still shooting and liking mine. Haven’t replaced my 2.0 with it for carry but once Apex puts out parts for it I may make the swap. Alex told me this week not to use any of the 2.0 parts in the Metal because they’re mostly different and they’re working towards a Metal parts kit. Custom fit barrel, trigger and enhanced fire control kit made a huge difference in my current 2.0. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215811/91205383-8D08-47AC-9F2C-D53A7F5C04D1-2528694.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/215811/BFFE2A4A-089A-479D-A775-B5C0000F9E65-2586781.jpg
View Quote

Yeah a friend of mine has a standard 2.0 with an Apex and I liked shooting his more than mine. Very nice trigger.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
While I was waiting on my background check on a S&W 610 last weekend, I fondled a Competitor.

I have to say I think it was love at first sight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I want a Competitor for my nightstand but nobody has it in stock locally. They won't special order due to the impeding ban.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want a Competitor for my nightstand but nobody has it in stock locally. They won't special order due to the impeding ban.
View Quote

GunBroker?
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

GunBroker?
View Quote

Might not come in on time and I'll be screwed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
@-Obsessed-

The trigger can be improved pretty easily with a little application of polish.

On the sear safety plunger, polish the exposed surface

On the trigger bar, take off the slight burr at the rear of the "dog head" looking section, polish the part that interfaces with the sear safety plunger. Polish the section on the outside that rubs against the ambi-side of the slide catch/release.

You can polish the surfaces of the sear and the sear surface of the striker, but don't change the geometry between the two.

All told, less than twenty minutes work will greatly improve the trigger. It will not change the reset and pretravel like the forward set Apex trigger does, but it's much, much better compared to factory.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:13:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish they had suppressor height sights for RDS use.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What does the ban have to do with ordering a handgun? You should be able to get it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Metal shoots fine with 115FMJ, 147FMJ and 147 JHP HST. I haven’t noticed any of the brass hitting my EPS. Only issue I have is the optic fogging up around 100 rounds due to gas / debris coming from the loaded chamber indicator and ejection port.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

GunBroker?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GunBroker?

I bought my Metal on Gunbroker, got a good deal and it arrived in 3 days to my ffl.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What does the ban have to do with ordering a handgun? You should be able to get it.
View Quote

Well apparently I'm retarded. I thought the assault rifle banned included any semi auto firearm with a threaded barrel. For some reason I thought the Competitor had a threaded barrel too. Not just ports.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
How is felt recoil on these compared to a regular plastic M&P?

I noticed that my steel frame CZ75 feels like it recoils more than my lighter weight M&P.  I thought that the plastic frame might be the reason, which has made me hesitate buying an aluminum frame M&P.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]

That is a sharp looking pistol.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Do the standard M1.0 ans M2.0 mags work on the Competitor?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How is felt recoil on these compared to a regular plastic M&P?

I noticed that my steel frame CZ75 feels like it recoils more than my lighter weight M&P.  I thought that the plastic frame might be the reason, which has made me hesitate buying an aluminum frame M&P.
View Quote

I didn't notice any appreciable difference shooting them back to back.

Quoted:

That is a sharp looking pistol.
View Quote

Thanks!

Quoted:
Do the standard M1.0 ans M2.0 mags work on the Competitor?
View Quote

Nope, mag well gets in the way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 for the Competitor and I echo other comments, trigger is good, but needs improvement. I put 200rds through it last week, all 115s with no issues or impacts to the RDS. I just fit an Apex barrel for it and will see how it shoots vs the factory, as well as try the trigger polish Leelaw suggested.

Link Posted: 4/25/2023 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like the competitor but I don’t like that it’s not ported. I went with the metal because I plan to add a comp from PMM or something similar. Additionally I’m leaning toward a carry magwell, I seen one online which is popular but I forget the name right this second.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do the standard M1.0 and M2.0 mags work on the Competitor?
View Quote

Yes, full size mags only, of course.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes, full size mags only, of course.
View Quote

If you pull the mag well. I don't think they fit with the magwell in place so they?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you pull the mag well. I don't think they fit with the magwell in place so they?
View Quote

Full-sized M&P mags do not fit the competitor with the magwell installed; they do fit with the magwell removed and competitor mags fit the full-sized M&P.

There is a fractional difference in the cut and location that I hope I captured in the picture. Competitor mag on the left, full-sized M&P mag on the right.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Full-sized M&P mags do not fit the competitor with the magwell installed; they do fit with the magwell removed and competitor mags fit the full-sized M&P.

There is a fractional difference in the cut and location that I hope I captured in the picture. Competitor mag on the left, full-sized M&P mag on the right.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_5656-2796247.jpg

View Quote

Awesome, that's what I thought but glad to have a confirmation.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, thanks for the correction/info on magazine compatibility, I must have forgotten about the mag well.

Anyway, I guess that's a reason I wouldn't buy one then.  I can just move the slide from my SKU 11828 (Pro Series 5") to an SKU 13194 (M&P Metal) and have something close enough to the competitor with mag compatibility.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, thanks for the correction/info on magazine compatibility, I must have forgotten about the mag well.

Anyway, I guess that's a reason I wouldn't buy one then.  I can just move the slide from my SKU 11828 (Pro Series 5") to an SKU 13194 (M&P Metal) and have something close enough to the competitor with mag compatibility.
View Quote

You can also remove the magwell. It slides right off. But yeah, you're not missing anything else except for the extended mag release in that case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a CORE, but I've not tried the slide on the Competitor.  I think the full-sized mags might work in the competitor if S&W would release the base plates.

ETA - Just tried the CORE Pro Series slide on the Competitor with no issues. The full-size mags fit the Competitor but have a very slight gap at the front lip of the magwell.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I live in a state that now has a 10rd+ mag ban.

I have a handful of M1.0.

Found localish selling his Competitor so seemed perfect if the mags fit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I just picked up the competitor, really like it.  Feels good in my hand, nicely accurate, and a good deal with the four included magazines.  Might have to pick up the standard model as a companion piece.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Change basepads, easy fix, Taylor Freelance
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Replaced the stock trigger with an Overwatch Precision TAC trigger system. I've only done dry fire, but It's less gritty and feels better.

The OP kit has a polished sear plunger and I believe the trigger bar is a skosh longer to better engage the sear cam earlier.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
LGS has one on consignment and it felt good in the hand. Taggage to see I need to be tempted into getting it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Try the Holosun SCS on it. It's a match made in heaven.

No need to change the sights and easiest setup I've ever had to get on the dot quickly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Try the Holosun SCS on it. It's a match made in heaven.

No need to change the sights and easiest setup I've ever had to get on the dot quickly.
View Quote

I really like the idea of the SCS models, I just can't get myself on board with the green reticle. It's already an extremely niche product (handgun model specific), why make it more niche with the smaller sales volume reticle color?
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I really like the idea of the SCS models, I just can't get myself on board with the green reticle. It's already an extremely niche product (handgun model specific), why make it more niche with the smaller sales volume reticle color?
View Quote

I wanted to try a green reticle. Bought a Viridian. Love the green. My eyes seem to pick it up faster than red. Wish more people offered it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I prefer green anyway. The only red dots I own that are actually red are RMR's, and if Trijicon made them in green, they'd be green too.

Time will tell how they do. I don't really see them as a niche product. They are made for the most mass produced optics ready guns made. I think provided they continue to hold up over the next few years, more and more people will adopt them. Right now most people just don't understand them and are afraid to try them.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got my Competitor yesterday been dry firing it out to range on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I prefer green anyway. The only red dots I own that are actually red are RMR's, and if Trijicon made them in green, they'd be green too.

Time will tell how they do. I don't really see them as a niche product. They are made for the most mass produced optics ready guns made. I think provided they continue to hold up over the next few years, more and more people will adopt them. Right now most people just don't understand them and are afraid to try them.
View Quote

I ended up getting one, my eyes absolutely do not focus the green very well. It's a smudge at best while all of my red dots are crystal clear. I looked through a pinhole aperture to make sure it wasn't an issue with the optic and the pinhole revealed a perfectly tight, focused green dot. It's just my eyes I guess. I'm going to keep it, but I'd have preferred if it was red.

What I meant by niche is that each one is firearm specific (and specific SKU's of the specific firearm), so if I decided to sell an RMR, anyone could buy it for their pistol, rifle, piggyback on a scope, etc., but if I sell the SCS-MP2 it's extremely limited to who I can sell it to. You don't just need an M&P, you need an optics ready M&P 2.0, and nothing else will work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top