Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 3:33:18 PM EDT
Anyone ever seen this?  I’m trying to figure out if someone added it or if it’s factory.  I called Smith and Wesson they weren’t super helpful and claimed factory, gun built in 1994 but I’m still puzzled bc I can’t find any pics of 940s or J frames with this location of serial #.

It also has the # in the usual areas
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine didn't have that nor have I seen it on any other S&W revolver. Private owner or maybe a PD that issued them did it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I could see where an Agency might place the serial number on the side if the grips cover serial number.   Many Agencies routinely take inventory of issued equipment.   If an Agency bought enough firearms I think S&W would do extra engraving to get the contract.  A lot of Agency weapons had Department logos, Initials or emblems engraved.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Model 360J that has the serial number on the side, Below the cylinder release.  It has a hole in the butt that I assume is for a lanyard ring, as these were an overrun for a Japanese police contract and they use lanyards.

I recently purchased a Performance Center 442 that has the S/N on the butt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an NYPD 5946 that was part of the original T&E
program and it was factory engraved by S&W for that purpose.
I'll post a pic in a minute.
Eta:
I also have a 4013TSWthat has a sheriff's office inventory number
on the slide, barrel and frame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
So it could go either way?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the most often used phrase in Smith auto loader circles.
S&W was all over the map with nuances and methodology.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top