Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2020 11:26:51 AM EDT
I remember a post about a custom S&W 686 that was cut down to 5 inches, profiled and crowned, then a dovetail from the muzzle.  A S&W front sight base was fitted with interchangeable blades.  The post was complete with very detailed pictures.  I’ve been told a 5 inch 686 balances very nicely.

The problem is...  I don’t remember where I read the post.  Here?  1911Forum?   Smith&WessonForum?  ???

Does anyone know what I’m talking about or remember the post?  Any help is appreciated.

Fazer
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
yep

that’s me

I posted it here, and the smith wesson forum

It’s an older dash-4 that was originally a 6”

I had gunsmith Andy Horvath cut it to 5” and install a jack weygand front sight base / dawson .100” fiber front sight
also install a new 7 shot cylinder

the gun is absolutely wonderful

the dash 4 is my favorite era of 686
new enough to be drilled n tapped for optics,....old enough for forged hammer/trigger guts

and no hillary hole

I’m on my phone now, but here is a pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
5 inch barrel is definitely the sweet spot for S&W wheelguns.  Great balance between portability and performance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have tried to like a 6" 617, but I have failed. I had the barrel cut to 5". Now it matches exactly the weight and balance of my 5" 617PC and shoots beautifully. An interchangeable front sight doesn't hurt, either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yep

that’s me

I posted it here, and the smith wesson forum

It’s an older dash-4 that was originally a 6”

I had gunsmith Andy Horvath cut it to 5” and install a jack weygand front sight base / dawson .100” fiber front sight

the gun is absolutely wonderful

the dash 4 is my favorite era of 686
new enough to be drilled n tapped for optics,....old enough for forged hammer/trigger guts

and no hillary hole

I’m on my phone now, but here is a pic

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2275/CEE60D3A-8C84-4EDD-8383-86F6094F6956_jpe-1244655.JPG
View Quote
Yes, Thank you Derek!

After seeing your 686, I knew it was time to pull my 6” Classic Hunter with unfluted cylinder out for a project.  But, I lost your post at the end of the year.  I have a dash 3 from ‘89.  I shot local NRA matches in the early 90’s and mounted a scope.  I had to drill and tap my 686 at $25 a hole, if I remember correctly.

I’m too invested with gear to convert to a 7-shot cylinder.  My buddy bought the 3”, 7-shot last year and it is impressive.

Your 686 is Awesome!  I’ll contact Horvath.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful gun . My 6” is a laser beam so I don’t know if I could cut into it . Wish smith would make a 5” version without the Hillary hole though
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Beautiful gun . My 6” is a laser beam so I don’t know if I could cut into it . Wish smith would make a 5” version without the Hillary hole though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's still a tack driver

Horvath did an excellent job.

=========================================================

Quoted:
Awesome.
Thanks

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
@Derek45

Who’s grips are you wearing?  The smooth with no finger cuts look awesome.  Hogue?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I know they're new guns (with all that entails)and not a full custom but 5"ers are pretty available now.  THey were scarce as hen's teeth.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/150854
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Derek45

Who’s grips are you wearing?  The smooth with no finger cuts look awesome.  Hogue?
View Quote
@Fazer386

the finger groove are HOGUE, the target style are AHRENDS

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/s-w-revolver-exotic-wood-grips-prod22451.aspx

Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know they're new guns (with all that entails)and not a full custom but 5"ers are pretty available now.  THey were scarce as hen's teeth.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/150854
View Quote
hillary hole

non fluted cylinder

MIM parts

I like my old dash-4 better
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any info on where you purchased the front sight parts. I dug around for hours on the web and it seems like the Weigand parts are no longer in production or available.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any info on where you purchased the front sight parts. I dug around for hours on the web and it seems like the Weigand parts are no longer in production or available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I talked to Andy,  he supplies the parts
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#17]
@Derek45

Can I get an 8-3/8" cut down with the same effect of the barrel stamping being centered? I can pick up a cheap 8", they don't seem to bring as much money as the 6's

Edit: just Google images some 8" and it looks like it'll work
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks! I’ll give him a call.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@Derek45

Can I get an 8-3/8" cut down with the same effect of the barrel stamping being centered? I can pick up a cheap 8", they don't seem to bring as much money as the 6's

Edit: just Google images some 8" and it looks like it'll work
View Quote
Looks ok in this pic.

I didn't realize WEIGAND no longer made the front sight base.

When I had this work done, I got it at Brownells.

( front sight is a skinny 0.100" Dawson )

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad to hear he's still working.

when I talked to him, he sounded pretty old.

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looks ok in this pic.

I didn't realize WEIGAND no longer made the front sight base.

When I had this work done, I got it at Brownells.

( front sight is a skinny 0.100" Dawson )
View Quote
I saw it on either Brownells or Midway but they only had the blues listed and I think it was sold out. Like yours I’d need the stainless for mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top