Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2021 4:28:03 PM EDT
For insurance purposes, I'm going through my firearms and trying to get a value of all of them. I just received this pistol from my dad. It was my grandfather's. Im not a revolver guy, so I have no clue about this one. My dad said it was a bedside pistol, and wasn't shot much. Definitely a no sell pistol for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I paid $600 for a slightly rougher but more desirable M66 4" NO dash about a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
600-ish
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid $600 for a slightly rougher but more desirable M66 4" NO dash about a year ago.
View Quote
Good price. I believe that $800 is fair a value of your pistol. Considering those target stocks are worth at minimum $100
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good price. I believe that $800 is fair a value of your pistol. Considering those target stocks are worth at minimum $100
View Quote

Smith and Wesson has a book on the value of each of their guns. This probably goes as high as $800 so I’d tell insurance $800 or more unless you have to prove it. You won’t be able to buy one for $600 when this one disappears.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Market is down a bit right now on used S&W revolvers. I'd agree it would sell for $600ish but also agree value should be in the $750ish range.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
$800 all day long.  Will only continue to go up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

$800 and it would sit for a long time. It would move at $600 but not right away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct. Considering that a new one that is no where near the quality has MSRP of $874. I'd use that as a value for insurance.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info fellas. Just what I needed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Market is down a bit right now on used S&W revolvers. I'd agree it would sell for $600ish but also agree value should be in the $750ish range.
View Quote

That's not right at all. The days of 600 dollar pre lock guns are over. Sure there are deals to be found with sellers that have been living under a rock, but that's an 800 dollar gun at she sits right there. Hell, the grips alone are worth at least 200.  Toss in the box and paper work and you are sitting at close to 1000 dollars.

I bought a 8 3/8th inch 686 back during the first part of 2020 for 600 dollars. The local dealer just sold the same model with the same barrel for 1400. Covid has made people retarded.

OP

Insure it for 1200.

https://www.guns.com/search?keyword=66&product.category=HANDGUNS&condition=used&product.manufacturer=SMITH%20%26%20WESSON
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$800 and it would sit for a long time. It would move at $600 but not right away.
View Quote

This.

Anyone whom claims otherwise hasn't worked a single second in a gun shop in the last 1-2 years. Smiths just aren't moving like they used to. Even we old farts are buying other guns instead.

I've got multiple Smiths I'd love to sell but I'd take a bath on them & it's better for me to wait a bit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd insure it for at least $800
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This.

Anyone whom claims otherwise hasn't worked a single second in a gun shop in the last 1-2 years. Smiths just aren't moving like they used to. Even we old farts are buying other guns instead.

I've got multiple Smiths I'd love to sell but I'd take a bath on them & it's better for me to wait a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That’s interesting because here in CO, S&W or Ruger revolvers move fast.  I talk to two gun shop owners about it and I see it with how fast listings go up and then are gone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That’s interesting because here in CO, S&W or Ruger revolvers move fast.  I talk to two gun shop owners about it and I see it with how fast listings go up and then are gone.
View Quote

Same here in TX. That 66 wouldn;t last a day here at 800 bucks. Hell, I paid more for mine last year, a 66 no dash.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Same here in TX. That 66 wouldn't last a day here at 800 bucks. Hell, I paid more for mine last year, a 66 no dash.
View Quote

That's also true out here in Arizona.  Pre-lock Smiths with the forged parts are bringing brain dead prices here in Arizona as well. Its not just the oldsters interested in them either.  There's even a lot of younger people in the market for the older, quality revolvers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top