Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 1:55:51 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

(Not mine )
So I may or may not have picked up a S&W586 which was obviously promptly lost in a tragic boating accident.

I just wanna say thank you to all the guys on this revolver board who shared all their opinions in the threads here!
I read all the ones I could get my hands on.

I gotta say I think this revolver is awesome.
I started down this path when the new Colt python caught my eye, I was looking at 4 1/4in barrel.
I liked the look, the form factor, a revolver that was not too big, not too small, had a very sweet trigger.
Then COVID hit and their availability dried up, along with the quality control issues (that I fully believe will be solved if not already,) and the fact that the trigger got revised which apparently increased the pull weight.
To me, that was significant.

I started looking at the Smith and Wesson guns, and I'm glad I did.
I was looking at the M19-9 guns, when I found the 586 was more what I was looking for.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a carry piece, it's basically illegal in my coastal commie state, I was looking for something that would be a shoot .357 all day gun
After feeling the 568-8? Instantly loved it.
This thing is awesome.
It's like the women I like,
Not an ultralite, not petite, has weight where I like seeing and feeling it?
But ain't a crew served N-frame gun.

The trigger is surprisingly heavy? (Coming from a custom 1911)
But smooth.
The balance is amazing, it points very naturally.
It really is "right sized"!

Final feels: I'm really surprised how much I like it, I honestly can't see myself selling it.
It's my second favorite handgun behind a custom 1911
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
A great revolver.  I bought a 686 about 20 years ago.  Probably my most accurate pistol.

How's the single-action trigger pull?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]
So, you say you just bought your FIRST revolver?

Congrats, don't forget to post the next one you buy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A great revolver.  I bought a 686 about 20 years ago.  Probably my most accurate pistol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Crisp! Crisp.
I'll be honest I think the DA pull is heavy, the SA, if it never lightens up I'd be pleased just how it is.
If it lightens, so be it

I'm going to guesstimate the DA pull is about 12lbs, and the SA, that pull is so crisp and so short that it's hard to tell.
Off the top of my head I'm going to say it's about 4lbs.
I expect them to break in a little better than they are right now.

Though I am giving serious thought to a set of wilson combat trigger springs, with the heaviest return spring in it, strain screw tightened all the way down and all

Quoted:
So, you say you just bought your FIRST revolver?

Congrats, don't forget to post the next one you buy.

My second!

I have a 629-6 I got a long time ago. 6in barrel, half lug.
Being really honest? I kinda regretted that purchase for a while, I don't feel that way anymore.
Particularly after learning more about these Smith and Wesson guns, the history, the revisions they've made over the years, and attempts to keep revolvers alive today in a polymer striker fired gun world.
I admire the fact that they've kept that fire burning, and that they had the business sense to bring back a blued 586, complete with wood grips, in a "classic" format for a customer like me.

The DA on the 629 is, a bit much.
I have strong hands, but I remember being surprised by it when new.
The SA trigger, awesome, even brand new and "Dirty" and greasy. Unreal.

The two revolvers, the 4in 586, and a 6in 629.
I kinda felt like, if I could only have 2 revolvers? For me, on a non-concealed carry state without significant wildlife, that's how to do it.
.357 is a great "Do all" caliber.  .44 is, for most people, the most recoil they can handle and still have fun.
One stainless with rubber hogues, one blued with wood grips

Though I will say after seeing what some of you guys have, I do get tempted to add more
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
NICE! 586s are hard to find. I bought 3 686s before I found my first 586
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Crisp! Crisp.
I'll be honest I think the DA pull is heavy, the SA, if it never lightens up I'd be pleased just how it is.
If it lightens, so be it

I'm going to guesstimate the DA pull is about 12lbs, and the SA, that pull is so crisp and so short that it's hard to tell.

View Quote

On most S&Ws, hard to improve on the SA trigger pull from the factory.  I've smoothed the DA on mine out by dryfiring thousands of times.  Strengthens the trigger finger, too.  Enjoy your guns!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Replace the main spring with Wilson or Wolff.
Polish all the moving parts inside.
Dry fire a lot.

Be super happy every time you go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/BF4A760C-2DEF-4889-BDB1-3FC83A447BD6_jpe-1431647.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/BF4A760C-2DEF-4889-BDB1-3FC83A447BD6_jpe-1431647.JPG

I'm a big fan of the full lug look on revolvers
I'm happy that S&W brought back the "Classic" line so there's more out the wild!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Crisp! Crisp.
If it lightens, so be it

On most S&Ws, hard to improve on the SA trigger pull from the factory.  I've smoothed the DA on mine out by dryfiring thousands of times.  Strengthens the trigger finger, too.  Enjoy your guns!

It's something that impressed me about the 629 and the 586, even when new, the SA trigger was excellent. Absolutely excellent.

I'm working on the DA pull at the moment - it's so smooth the front sight doesn't seem to move a bunch if I concentrate on the trigger pull, even at that weight.

Quoted:
Replace the main spring with Wilson or Wolff.
Polish all the moving parts inside.
Dry fire a lot.

Be super happy every time you go to the range.

Interesting.

I've read about the horror stories of what happens when guys "overdo it" and remove too much power from the hammer and end up with light primer strikes.
But I do have the wilson kit in my S&W which helped a bunch - I went with the stiffest return sprint.
Any lower and the SA went into "hair trigger" territory"

I was reluctant to throw one into the 586 without testing out the 629 first and making sure it touches off primers!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 8 3/8” 586 and love it, fun little gun to shoot, originally bought it to deer hunt with and put a 4X Burris on her but never had it out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice choice!

In my experience, do not change the mainspring. I tried both Wolff and Wilson "duty" mainsprings and got tons of light strikes. Switched back to stock and it went away. The one spring I will change is the rebound slide (trigger) spring.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought my 586 in the early fall of 1981 or 82.  Six inch, blued model.

To this day it is still the most accurate  magnum revolver I've ever shot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have replaced the main spring on 2 625, a 686, a 66, and a 629 with reduced power Wolff or Wilson. I also polished the internals of each (no metal was removed). All would set off any primer I tried if the strain screw was screwed all the way in.

If for some reason the lighter main spring was unreliable for you, you could put the factory one back in with little effort.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like 4" 586's. They can handle a lot of chores and look good doin it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my 586 about 8-9 years ago from a private seller when I was working a gun show. My dealer passed on it, allowing me to make an offer & I got it.

Sadly, I've yet to fire a single rd from it since I bought it..........
Thankfully mine is a no-lock version.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
My very first revolver was a Model 686 Plus with 4" barrel.  Over the years I've played with changing springs and polishing and a couple years ago I notice I had the issue of hammer "push off".  I had to send my gun back to S&W for them to resolve the issue.  Fortunately, the DA is very smooth and SA breaks like glass after I got it back from S&W.  No more farting around where I shouldn't be farting around.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a 8 3/8” 586 and love it, fun little gun to shoot, originally bought it to deer hunt with and put a 4X Burris on her but never had it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

8 3/8?  Man that thing probably has VERY little recoil. Totally different experience from a J-frame .357

Quoted:
I bought my 586 in the early fall of 1981 or 82.  Six inch, blued model.

To this day it is still the most accurate  magnum revolver I've ever shot.

I have to say I really like how it feels and points, I'm thinking it's not hard to shoot well

Quoted:
I really like 4" 586's. They can handle a lot of chores and look good doin it.

People have their own preferences and all, but I kept seeing the opinion, "a 4in .357 is incredibly versatile" and I settled on that configuration when this desire was once for a python
Now with a 4" 586? I have to say I love how it balances.
It's not too big, it's not too small.

Quoted:
I bought my 586 about 8-9 years ago from a private seller when I was working a gun show. My dealer passed on it, allowing me to make an offer & I got it.

Sadly, I've yet to fire a single rd from it since I bought it..........
Thankfully mine is a no-lock version.

Honestly I'm happy S&W brought it back so people can have them new
On "the list" of guns to look at, post-python I was looking at the S&W M19-9 guns.

I'm kinda thinking we're in a revolver renaissance now!

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice choice!

In my experience, do not change the mainspring. I tried both Wolff and Wilson "duty" mainsprings and got tons of light strikes. Switched back to stock and it went away. The one spring I will change is the rebound slide (trigger) spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice choice!

Shit
I currently have the wilson unit with the heaviest (14lb) spring in there, strain screw is allllllllll the way down.
I won't attempt to trust it for HD use until after testing it thoroughly.

But anecdotally I can say I have now  tried it with a lighter trigger, and whatever means I use to get there?
That's what I'd like from it triggerwise

Quoted:
I have replaced the main spring on 2 625, a 686, a 66, and a 629 with reduced power Wolff or Wilson. I also polished the internals of each (no metal was removed). All would set off any primer I tried if the strain screw was screwed all the way in.

If for some reason the lighter main spring was unreliable for you, you could put the factory one back in with little effort.

Interesting. I noticed that the strain screw on the 586 was holy shit tight, I kept it that way when putting in the wilson unit.
I'm getting the feeling that makes a big difference - I'm also a novice who wants to believe that though

Quoted:
My very first revolver was a Model 686 Plus with 4" barrel.  Over the years I've played with changing springs and polishing and a couple years ago I notice I had the issue of hammer "push off".  I had to send my gun back to S&W for them to resolve the issue.  Fortunately, the DA is very smooth and SA breaks like glass after I got it back from S&W.  No more farting around where I shouldn't be farting around.

I have the feeling that whether the wilson unit works or not, I might end up sending these out to a smith to have them "Done correctly" anyway!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the full lug look on revolvers
I'm happy that S&W brought back the "Classic" line so there's more out the wild!

It's something that impressed me about the 629 and the 586, even when new, the SA trigger was excellent. Absolutely excellent.

I'm working on the DA pull at the moment - it's so smooth the front sight doesn't seem to move a bunch if I concentrate on the trigger pull, even at that weight.

Interesting.

I've read about the horror stories of what happens when guys "overdo it" and remove too much power from the hammer and end up with light primer strikes.
But I do have the wilson kit in my S&W which helped a bunch - I went with the stiffest return sprint.
Any lower and the SA went into "hair trigger" territory"

I was reluctant to throw one into the 586 without testing out the 629 first and making sure it touches off primers!
View Quote

It takes very little time or effort to swap the springs. Do it and enjoy. On the rare gun that doesn't tolerate the swap just throw the factory springs back into the gun.

Always save the original parts in case you were to sell or swap the gun. I usually tuck the spare parts into a small bag with a note as to what they are and tuck it under the foam in the box the gun came in.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
The backyard trick of turning the strain screw out is not the best thing as it will tend to turn looser by itself over time. If you like what it does to the trigger pull buy a new screw from Brownells for a couple of bucks and grind the end shorter, this will allow you to tighten it down but still have less pressure on the main spring. You buy a replacement screw to keep the factory screw as a spare to return the trigger to factory if need be
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top