Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2019 6:47:24 PM EDT
I was dry firing my 442 with snap caps and I noticed suddenly the trigger felt very gritty.

I took it apart and found the hammer stud is broken. It's pressed into a blind hole, no way to get it out. I guess it's going back to the factory.

I bought it brand new this year. Haven't put a lot of rounds through it so this is very disappointing. I wish it was at least user serviceable.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruh roh

Here we go again. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn,  I am glad it happened when you were practicing.  I had the pin on the hand of my 642 break at the range.  I got it fixed and sold it.

I don't think I would personally carry that gun even after it was fixed
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had that happen to an old 65.  Got replaced by S&W with a 620; I had to pay a bit, but it seemed like a good deal at the time.

I know there tends to be shitshows about airweights with hammer studs breaking lately.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had that happen to an old 65.  Got replaced by S&W with a 620; I had to pay a bit, but it seemed like a good deal at the time.

I know there tends to be shitshows about airweights with hammer studs breaking lately.
View Quote
I'm not being butthurt or dramatic about it. But I bought the gun this year and it's not like I have abused it or anything. I expect it to be fixed at no cost to me.

I will say it does make me feel like going out and buying a Ruger SP101.

Although I have had an SP101 that had to go back to Ruger due to the cylinder failing to lock up. The Ruger action is much tougher though.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn,  I am glad it happened when you were practicing.  I had the pin on the hand of my 642 break at the range.  I got it fixed and sold it.

I don't think I would personally carry that gun even after it was fixed
View Quote
The gun would still fire but the trigger feels gritty/crunchy.

The stud is held on place by the hole in the side plate. Still needs to be fixed obviously.

Seems like a manufacturing defect in the MIM process. Probably a poor choice for a MIM part.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the colt night cobra
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of modern Smith snubs seem like a crap shoot as far as quality, which is unfortunate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Is the stud pressed in or an integral machined post?  Your photo is clear, I just do not know what I am seeing.

A steel stud should have ripped apart the aluminum before breaking the steel.

I only ask because of the Kluster Phuck in this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Smith-and-wesson-told-me-to-pack-sand-Not-happy--Their-correspendance-and-my-response-/33-189335/
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The same happened pend twice my brother with a 642 I bought him for Christmas last year. Required new frames both times. I don’t think he was out of pocket for anything though. Makes me nervous about mine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the stud pressed in or an integral machined post?  Your photo is clear, I just do not know what I am seeing.

A steel stud should have ripped apart the aluminum before breaking the steel.

I only ask because of the Kluster Phuck in this thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Smith-and-wesson-told-me-to-pack-sand-Not-happy--Their-correspendance-and-my-response-/33-189335/
View Quote
It's a steel stud pressed into the allot frame.

It looks like this.

It sheared right off at the base. I assume it's a MIM part.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Contact S&W. They should issue a call tag. Ship it back. They will likely replace the gun, not fix the broken stud. When you get it back, decide if you trust it and sell if you do not.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I called and got my shipping label today. Going to drop it off with fedex after work.

After doing some more research this seems more common than I realized. I guess most people don't shoot and dry fire practice with their Airweights very much. People that do seem to experience this failure.

That kind of bothers me because if I'm going to carry a gun I want to be able to shoot it a lot to stay proficient with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow- is this something fairly new with the 442/642 series?
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its a known issue with the Airweight aluminum frame guns... makes me want to sell my 442 Pro and buy a Scandium .357 (they are a bit more durable, particularly the hammer stud).
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its a known issue with the Airweight aluminum frame guns... makes me want to sell my 442 Pro and buy a Scandium .357 (they are a bit more durable, particularly the hammer stud).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my 642 not long after they came out with them, it's had lots of rounds through it including a lot of +P (never saw the point in keeping track of rounds fired through a non precision gun) and even more dry firing, so far so good.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought my 642 not long after they came out with them, it's had lots of rounds through it including a lot of +P (never saw the point in keeping track of rounds fired through a non precision gun) and even more dry firing, so far so good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably a pre MIM gun
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
No...though it seems to occur most often in dry fire practice or when improperly removing the side plate.

Don't dry fire an Airweight extensively...and if the hammer or trigger stud doesn't break in the first few hundred rounds it likely never will. It's been theorized that a loose fit in the side plate will induce flex that eventually becomes a breakage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Crazy.  Like I said, I got mine not long after they came out and it's been dry fired thousands of times and had several thousand rounds through it, practice ammo to +P.  I don't shoot it very much anymore but it's still my favorite hiking gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I dry fired mine, always with snap caps. I only had it about 6 months before it broke. I don't really think I abused it, I was trying to get used to the trigger.

If it breaks when dry firing on snap caps, it would have broken on that many live rounds, or sooner. Seems like a design flaw or a manufacturing defect if any gun has a major failure on dry firing on snap caps.

I'm still waiting on my 442 to get repaired by S&W but in the meantime I bought an SP101 and while it's heavy I highly doubt it will fail after a lifetime of firing and dry firing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I find it hard to believe that they can't just simply knock out the old pin and press in a new one.
If I had one they wouldn't warrantee like in that other thread, I would drill a small hole, knock that old studd out and fabricate a pin out of drill rod.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe that they can't just simply knock out the old pin and press in a new one.
If I had one they wouldn't warrantee like in that other thread, I would drill a small hole, knock that old studd out and fabricate a pin out of drill rod.
View Quote
They can't. Look at it closely, they insert the stud, then swage the area to hold it in. If it breaks, it's done for.

That is one place where a far higher quality steel should absolutely be used because if it [the stud] breaks, the firearm is not repairable.

I personally detest the design myself. It was made that way to build the firearm as cheaply as possible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#22]
This is interesting because i have been loooking at Smith airweights as my SP101 is too big and heavy for summer pocket carry.   Wonder how widespread this is with newer models?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
hopefully, you get better customer service than some others around here

Please let us know how it turns out.

S&W has refused to warranty some alloy frames.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They can't. Look at it closely, they insert the stud, then swage the area to hold it in. If it breaks, it's done for.

That is one place where a far higher quality steel should absolutely be used because if it [the stud] breaks, the firearm is not repairable.

I personally detest the design myself. It was made that way to build the firearm as cheaply as possible.
View Quote
Sure it's a blind hole.
Center a small hole where the studd is.
Locate on other side and drill bigger hole.
1\8" should do.
knock out pressed in remains.
Insert new made studd.
Reswage area.
It could be done.
I've several way old smiths and the hammer studd is quite visible on the outside of the frame.
Those were pressed in.
Done right, the hole drilled to knock out the old studd would be mostly filled.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Had the same problem. Buy a Ruger LCR and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Think I am going to trade mine in on something else if it can't be trusted.
That is messed up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Think I am going to trade mine in on something else if it can't be trusted.
That is messed up.
View Quote
I wouldn't necessarily say it can't be trusted.

Any mechanical device can break. There's people out there with thousands of rounds on their J frames.

However, based on my experiences, I trust the Rugers more. I still like airweight J frames though I will probably baby them a little more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I still haven't got my gun back. I just wanted to post so my thread doesn't get archived before I get it back.

I did call them last week. After waiting on hold for 15 minutes the woman I talked to said they did metallurgy testing on it and then it went to the warranty department. "They have their own timeline so I can't tell you how long it will be." Whatever that means.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine broke like a month or so after I purchased it new about year ago. Smith replaced mine but it took at least a month. I want to say almost two but I can't remember 100 percent. They covered the transfer fee.

I was going to get a steel framed gun but I think I'm just going to pick up a duplicate because they are so cheap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine broke as well, I sent it to the factory. It took 4 weeks to fix, but it works now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mine broke as well, I sent it to the factory. It took 4 weeks to fix, but it works now.
View Quote
4 weeks? I am approaching 3 months.

Time for another call. I almost forgot I had this gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#32]
did they fix it yet ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder if there has been some QC issues with the stud? My 442 was made around 2010, probably has around 1,000 rounds through it now and 10-20 x that many dry fires.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
did they fix it yet ?
View Quote
Yeah, really. Hope he got it back. I pocket carry a 642 a lot, this is not doing wonders for my faith in Smith.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
did they fix it yet ?
View Quote
They reached out about 10 days ago asking for FFL info which I sent promptly. They have to send it to an FFL since they changed the frame and it has a new SN.

Haven't heard anything since.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#36]
What a cluster. I have a 638 from the mid-2000s, carry it a lot, and have never heard of this issue. What timeframe did it start happening?

I was getting ready to purchase a Model 60 Pro, stainless frame, but I wonder if it uses the same hammer pin?

ETA: Found the other threads now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Still haven't heard anything since sending them my FFL info despite sending emails several times.

I don't know if they are working with all this COVID-19 stuff going on.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my gun back today.

Quite a long turn around time but they replaced the frame free of charge.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got my gun back today.

View Quote

Glad they took care of you.  Did your original gun have a lock on it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my gun back today.

No lock. Replacement has no lock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my gun back today.

No lock. Replacement has no lock.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418171/20200402_193140_jpg-1347499.JPG

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got my gun back today.

View Quote

I'm glad u got one back but thats bullshit for that long of a timeframe for a completely different gun.

The shit that we the customer put up with is ridiculous.

Would it take 3months to get a replacement washer or dryer?  Doubt it.

They could have had a new gun in your hand in a week or two.  

We need more Karen attitude.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm glad u got one back but thats bullshit for that long of a timeframe for a completely different gun.

View Quote

I'm actually surprised they rebuilt it with the old parts + new frame. I know because of how I painted my front sight.

I'm surprised they don't just scrap it and grab a new one off the line instead of paying labor to disassemble and reassemble.

ETA as for the customer service, I think I will just never buy a new S&W.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm actually surprised they rebuilt it with the old parts + new frame. I know because of how I painted my front sight.

I'm surprised they don't just scrap it and grab a new one off the line instead of paying labor to disassemble and reassemble.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats kind of a kick in the dick if u ask me.

You and the other members here that had similar outcomes have swayed me away from S&W.

I had better service from freakin Taurus and Keltec!!!

I'm sorry you had to go thru all that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No...though it seems to occur most often in dry fire practice or when improperly removing the side plate.

[color=#0000ff]Don't dry fire an Airweight extensively...and if the hammer or trigger stud doesn't break in the first few hundred rounds it likely never will. It's been theorized that a loose fit in the side plate will induce flex that eventually becomes a breakage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[color=#0000ff]Don't dry fire an Airweight extensively...and if the hammer or trigger stud doesn't break in the first few hundred rounds it likely never will. It's been theorized that a loose fit in the side plate will induce flex that eventually becomes a breakage.

[/color]

I think you are onto something here. Bought my wife her no lock 642 a year ago for her birthday. First thing I did when I got it home was I took the sideplate off. Screws had zero locktite on them and were too easy to remove. I "stoned" the rebound slide bottom drag surface to a beautiful polish with multiple India stones and installed a Wolff slightly reduced power rebound spring, replaced that awful hammer strut spring with a Wolff 1lb reduced power hammer strut/mainspring... and polished and lubed the hammer and sear contact surfaces. Then I added a hair of Blue Loctite to the sideplate, and yoke screws and buttoned her up smooth and snug... Trigger went from 11lbs down to 7.5lbs DAO... It has well over 2K DAO dry fire pulls about 300 rounds of full power practice and HP loads.

I think the slightly lesser powered Wolff springs, polished surface contacts and lube, and a sideplate properly torqued takes quite a bit of shear stress, drag, and binding off that critical hammer pin. It's my theory but I feel confident about it FWIW. I'd never give the wife something I didn't fully vet first and then make her put several hundred rounds thru first. She carries it every-day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top