Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2020 7:31:29 PM EDT
Today I picked up a like NIB Smith & Wesson 442-1 with accessories. I've always wanted a J-Frame Smith but never made it a priority due to I usually carry auto's. I've owned a CA Undercover for about 20yrs now but it's more of a drawer desk gun in my computer room. I shoot it once a year or so. Then found a couple years ago a SP-101 2.25" 357 which I really like! Heavy, but a nice companion when I'm bow hunting.

For this new 442-1 I already have a Mika Pocket holster my Undercover uses but I'll be making some changes soon. Looking forward to shooting it with standard and +P loads. I'm more of a 158gr SWC type of guy for CCW carry though. Hopefully I can hit the range tomorrow after work and see how well this little guy works!

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
they're a great option when you can't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I suspect that after a couple of cylinders of +P ammo, you may discover why it was LNIB.
Up there with "LNIB 500 S&W for sale only two rounds through it"
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suspect that after a couple of cylinders of +P ammo, you may discover why it was LNIB.
Up there with "LNIB 500 S&W for sale only two rounds through it"
View Quote
Lol. I'm not recoil shy/sensitive with these little air weight revolvers with heavy or +P loads. It's what I'll carry when I CCW. BUT TRUST ME, I'll shoot recreational practice loads mostly.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't the 442-1 still have the Uncle Mike's boot grip?  I can't recall when they changed but I like it better than the later S&W version.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun. It is my chair gun when I am home. It had an Apex trigger kit in it when I got it and it is even more amazing with it's trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice, I just ordered the Performance Center version of the 442.

Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet! My brother liked my 442 so much he's buying the SS version model 642.
Quoted:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IMG_7511.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my 642-1, with a pocket Sticky holster it rides perfect and gives me a backup when I'm out and about. At home, it sits on my desk and provides a sense of security. I also have a 637, but if a deal pops up for a 442 I'm gonna grab it. Nice pistol OP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

they're a great option when you can't carry a gun.
View Quote
lol, exactly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IMG_7511.jpg
I’ve got a pre lock 640 that I shoot fairly well.  I also have a 360J that is my deep conceal carry gun, but it has the lock.  The PC442 from CDNN is a Performance Center Gun with no lock for $399. I have to grab one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally made it to the range yesterday in 18 degree temps for a quick test firing. Fired about 70rds: 50rds of Federal 158gr LRN & 20rds of assorted Federal, Hornady & Remington +P ammunition. I was shooting mainly high @ 10 yd range. The only two low rounds seen were +P that obviously I flinched when firing. The +P was very manageable. Of the three (3) different +P ammo's I used I liked the Remington 125gr JHP High Terminal Performance loads. They're in the revolver now.

The DAO (double action only) trigger is still very stiff. I've been dry firing the day lights out of it with some success using snap caps. But no, I won't do a drop in spring kit to decrease the DAO trigger pull. Just me. Very pleased so far and looking forward to carrying this little gem in my front pocket in a Mika Pocket holster I've had for years. And more trigger time as the weather improves.

Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
have one.. great carry gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top