Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 8:58:31 AM EDT
Anyone have a S&W 3rd gen 45acp pistol? 4505-4506-4567-4566-4563-etc etc etc ????

How durable , and reliable are these? Accurate?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned 4506 & 4566.

SOLID, STRONG & Good Shooting.

If you run out of ammo, you can beat the opponent to death with one...

They are Very Heavy, Very Large & Ergonomics are not perfect (try releasing the slide lock with a normal or even large human hand without shifting the gun out of firing position)

Magazines are around but have gotten pricey as of late.

You could get a straight or a palm swell grips (one piece plastic from S&W)  Hogue also made Soft Rubber & Hardwood grips for them too (not sure if they still do but would think so)
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The only parts you need to replace are the springs and (eventually with tons of shooting) the extractor. The extractor requires fitting and isn't a drop in part, but it's allegedly not that hard to do. I haven't been able to clean the extractor in my third gen because I don't have a hydraulic press to push the retaining pin out.

ETA: There's a video of a 4506 that feeds empty cases.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a 4506 years ago and it was a great pistol. Like the others have said, magazines can get expensive and parts are drying up. Numrich is a good place to find hard to find parts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 4506, 4566 and 4516-1.  Will feed anything, including empty casings, and after a whole lotta years carrying 3rd gens as duty guns keeping them running is muscle memory.  But yeah, they are perfect for the boat since they can double as anchors if needed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
This isn't GD - sju
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 4506-1, 4566, and a 4566 TSW. All are fantastic guns. Can feed spent shell casings. Trying to get a WVSP 4566
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have one now, but I've had two 4506, a 4586, a 4546 and a 4583tsw.

The 4583 had the worst trigger, the 86 was fine and the 46 was very smooth.  I firmly believe that the earlier 3rd gen guns usually have the better triggers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]

The 4506 is a fantastic pistol. It will feed any thing you give it, although a bit heavy, it's a great reliable pistol.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20763/20180213_152304-739058.jpg
The 4506 is a fantastic pistol. It will feed any thing you give it, although a bit heavy, it's a great reliable pistol.
View Quote
That's a 4506-1
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes it is a 4506-1, it doesn't have a squared trigger guard and the frame is "thicker" to be used on on 1006 production line. I was under the impression that the OP was inquiring about the 4506 in general, not just 4506-0 and 4506-1. How about some pictures of the 4506-0?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
4566 TSW from a Texas LEO department, last sold on GB. With riveted lower mounting plate, those aren't "picitinny" compatible 100% and do make holster selection somewhat problematic. A poster on the S&W forum took his off and it's tempting. Uses SIG holsters as 95% compatible, and will fit 1911 issue holsters or generic unboned types.

No more kick that a SIG P938, weight has value. The SA side is nice, the early machined triggers are actually rougher and generally have heavier pulls compared to the later powder metal ones. Those tend to have no machining marks and the net surface is much smoother.

Mags may be getting slightly higher and less available, here's a hint - they are identical to 1911 mags, just a different latch location. Another hint: people cut new ones in 1911 mags and they work. 1911 mags will never be "unavailable," I've been looking at the folded lip Chip McCormick version wondering why somebody can't just do or get new latch holes done. It's not rocket science, I'd sooner trust that than someone melting my Glock grip into a Kustomized value engineered mess. IE nobody says Don't build your own 1911 - with numerous fitting issues - but some do go all ALEET ALEET! if you suggest working on your own mags.

Anyway, the DA is that, longer, and stiffer, but much like a revolver, which the S&W was competing against in the day, there was a baseline feel for those and few complained. And, compared to a .38 SP duty gun, the weight is similar loaded, again, no big deal. The notion of a "heavy" firearm is a modern concept, it was granted a duty grade large caliber gun was heavier than a Browning .32 or snub nose. Big guns were holster guns, not pocket carry, nobody intended for the 4566 to be "concealable." Lots of remarks about it go to the perspective of this generation, not then.

Fine gun, mines used, fires, no hiccups, have no idea how many rounds its already seen. The tritium sights are dark now - nearly 20 years old - which testifies to tritium not being all that, especially with $120+ costs to refurb or replace.

Glad I bought mine two years ago, it's approaching double what I paid for it.

And BTW, the S&W was invented precisely to replace the 1911. Army opened trials in 1954 for a replacement, requiring 9mm, compact size, and DA/SA. It was post War Army looking at the Walther P38 and thinking "this thing is wonderful." They had a couple of submissions - one of which was the 1911 Commander - but shut it all down because bean counters kept pointing out there were nearly 3 million 1911's in inventory.

Ironically, we finally adopted another lineage successor to the P38 - the Beretta 92 series. We eventually got there, at the same time the S&W was the dominant auto pistol being adopted by LEO's nationwide. If it was replacing a revolver, it was the #1 choice, and for some jurisdictions, still is - they are still in production in the Houghton plant on contracts. They pop up here and again in small dealers NIB as contract overruns.

So, for that, I bought a 4566 TSW for the money when the CMP 1911's were not only becoming a pricey future option, but also because it's just flat out superior. Yes, I said it. It reflects another 50 years of auto pistol design and innovation. The difference between a Model T and a 65 Ford. Why wouldn't you buy it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I might be getting one of these.

If the stars align.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:34:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Owned a 4506 before.  My RIP firearms instructor used to comment that those damn things could feed rocks. I carried it for a month on duty. ( we provided our own weapons then). I also carried a 92FS mainly.  The 4506 was a great gun and I loved it, but one thing.  8 hours on your waist will taint you.  I ended up selling it. I kind of regret it, but then I remember the weight.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Or even more old school, the 645.  Great gun - full steel on every piece of metal in it.  Shooting it takes you back in time to the days of Miami Vice.

Classic series of pistols - I need to hunt around and pick up a 5906 for old time's sake.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Niiiiiice!!!!  I thought WVSP were getting rid of theirs & I keep hoping to see them for sale.  I have (2) 4506, a 4566TSW and a 4586.  The 3rd gen .45s are the awesome & have the best DA/SA triggers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a 4553TSW and it works great, is fairly light and shoots nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Owned a 4506 before.  My RIP firearms instructor used to comment that those damn things could feed rocks. I carried it for a month on duty. ( we provided our own weapons then). I also carried a 92FS mainly.  The 4506 was a great gun and I loved it, but one thing.  8 hours on your waist will taint you.  I ended up selling it. I kind of regret it, but then I remember the weight.
View Quote
Sounds like a security job I had in the 90s.  I was sent to instructor school for two weeks and I was looking forward to carrying the 4506.  I lasted two months when I decided to switch to the G23.  I had to check my holster for a week because I thought I left it behind
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Safe queen now
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
My 4506 is Absolutely my favorite hand gun .
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#20]
That Stars have aligned!

Should be shipping out soon.

S&W 4566 TSW for the WVSP. Very rare and hard to find. The last .45 ACP 3rd Generation Pistol S&W ever made.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a few of the 9mm i really want a 3rd gen 45 acp myself.

great guns.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Or even more old school, the 645.  Great gun - full steel on every piece of metal in it.  Shooting it takes you back in time to the days of Miami Vice.

Classic series of pistols - I need to hunt around and pick up a 5906 for old time's sake.
View Quote
I just picked one up, cleaned up nice. I was going to grab a 1006 but the mag prices are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a 4586 for a while.  Great gun, reliable, accurate and would truly feed just about any garbage round you could scrounge up.

Traded it for a Browning Hi-Power several years ago.  I miss it sometimes, but I'm much happier with the BHP.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Merry Christmas

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
4566 TSW from a Texas LEO department, last sold on GB. With riveted lower mounting plate, those aren't "picitinny" compatible 100% and do make holster selection somewhat problematic. A poster on the S&W forum took his off and it's tempting. Uses SIG holsters as 95% compatible, and will fit 1911 issue holsters or generic unboned types.

No more kick that a SIG P938, weight has value. The SA side is nice, the early machined triggers are actually rougher and generally have heavier pulls compared to the later powder metal ones. Those tend to have no machining marks and the net surface is much smoother.

Mags may be getting slightly higher and less available, here's a hint - they are identical to 1911 mags, just a different latch location. Another hint: people cut new ones in 1911 mags and they work. 1911 mags will never be "unavailable," I've been looking at the folded lip Chip McCormick version wondering why somebody can't just do or get new latch holes done. It's not rocket science, I'd sooner trust that than someone melting my Glock grip into a Kustomized value engineered mess. IE nobody says Don't build your own 1911 - with numerous fitting issues - but some do go all ALEET ALEET! if you suggest working on your own mags.

Anyway, the DA is that, longer, and stiffer, but much like a revolver, which the S&W was competing against in the day, there was a baseline feel for those and few complained. And, compared to a .38 SP duty gun, the weight is similar loaded, again, no big deal. The notion of a "heavy" firearm is a modern concept, it was granted a duty grade large caliber gun was heavier than a Browning .32 or snub nose. Big guns were holster guns, not pocket carry, nobody intended for the 4566 to be "concealable." Lots of remarks about it go to the perspective of this generation, not then.

Fine gun, mines used, fires, no hiccups, have no idea how many rounds its already seen. The tritium sights are dark now - nearly 20 years old - which testifies to tritium not being all that, especially with $120+ costs to refurb or replace.

Glad I bought mine two years ago, it's approaching double what I paid for it.

And BTW, the S&W was invented precisely to replace the 1911. Army opened trials in 1954 for a replacement, requiring 9mm, compact size, and DA/SA. It was post War Army looking at the Walther P38 and thinking "this thing is wonderful." They had a couple of submissions - one of which was the 1911 Commander - but shut it all down because bean counters kept pointing out there were nearly 3 million 1911's in inventory.

Ironically, we finally adopted another lineage successor to the P38 - the Beretta 92 series. We eventually got there, at the same time the S&W was the dominant auto pistol being adopted by LEO's nationwide. If it was replacing a revolver, it was the #1 choice, and for some jurisdictions, still is - they are still in production in the Houghton plant on contracts. They pop up here and again in small dealers NIB as contract overruns.

So, for that, I bought a 4566 TSW for the money when the CMP 1911's were not only becoming a pricey future option, but also because it's just flat out superior. Yes, I said it. It reflects another 50 years of auto pistol design and innovation. The difference between a Model T and a 65 Ford. Why wouldn't you buy it?
View Quote
Great post.

I have a ex-LE 4566 (though not the TSW model). Got it years ago, shot it for a while (hadn't been shot much, though -  typical LE gun), and then shipped it off to Tripp Research for a brushed hard-chrome job. TR returned what looked like a brand new gun.

Over time I acquired about 8 S&W factory .45 mags for it. Of the 45XX-series, the 4566 is my favorite size-wise, and I prefer the DA/SA trigger over DAO.

The only thing that has me leery about these 3rd Gen pistols is the possibility of a critical part breaking, and then it being impossible to obtain a factory replacement, let alone finding a 'smith who knows how to work on these guns.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#29]
I have another Rare 4566 melonite.  Just listed it here on EE
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Always wanted a 4506 due to Miami Vice. I just have never have ended up with one
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#31]
The 4566TSW I had was a tack driving tank.  Mags were the only drawback; they are getting less and less common
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a 4586 years ago.  Foolishly traded it for something (can't recall what I traded for).

Great gun.  One of the few trades I regret.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I wanted one when I was younger. I did own a 5906 that I should have kept. Best TDA 9mm I’ve ever owned or shot. The 3rd Gen Smith and Wesson pistols are as good if not better than a Sig. Sad that S&W didn’t think so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#34]
But yeah, they are perfect for the boat since they can double as anchors if needed.
View Quote
A 4566 TSW weighs less, loaded or unloaded, than a 1911. The myth that all metal guns are somehow weighed with a balance scale using stones from the Magna Carta era is mistaken.

It only takes two stones to carry one.

Weight is relative - in the days when a police belt was holstering an all stainless S&W about all that it carried was the gun, holster, reload, and maybe a  nightstick loop.

Look at an officers belt today and you know why they have concealed suspenders. Back injury due to overweight belts is the #1 occupational hazard. I'd be interested to see what a Glock with three fully loaded mag weighs in comparison. Like the Army, when the weapon weighs less, the culture is to increase ammo so that there is no net savings at all. And then we've added radios, double cuff cases, a trauma kit, etc etc until the average cop is humping more than a carpenter will now tolerate.

"Heavy stainless gun" is the least of a cops problems. As for the S&W, they are still made to contract and issued. Mine came from TX as an LEO turnin and it shoots and functions just fine. Light wear cosmetically and the trigger is now worse than a Taurus .38 or Kahr .380. in DA. Recoil management is actually better - ie you don't see national champs toting mouse guns on the line.

BTW, I've heard the things will chamber an empty case, in reality, I hope not. I'd rather clear an obvious malf than click a dead round.

and yes, boat anchor is a joke. The new kids on the block don't have enough under their belt to understand that, tho.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Still in service after 20 plus years on a lot of depts
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Silly question...what are the triggers like on these guns? There is a nice 4506 on my local Armslist that has my eye and I don't own any .45s at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A 4566 TSW weighs less, loaded or unloaded, than a 1911. The myth that all metal guns are somehow weighed with a balance scale using stones from the Magna Carta era is mistaken.

Weight is relative - in the days when a police belt was holstering an all stainless S&W about all that it carried was the gun, holster, reload, and maybe a  nightstick loop.

Look at an officers belt today and you know why they have concealed suspenders. Back injury due to overweight belts is the #1 occupational hazard. I'd be interested to see what a Glock with three fully loaded mag weighs in comparison. Like the Army, when the weapon weighs less, the culture is to increase ammo so that there is no net savings at all. And then we've added radios, double cuff cases, a trauma kit, etc etc until the average cop is humping more than a carpenter will now tolerate.

"Heavy stainless gun" is the least of a cops problems. As for the S&W, they are still made to contract and issued. Mine came from TX as an LEO turnin and it shoots and functions just fine. Light wear cosmetically and the trigger is now worse than a Taurus .38 or Kahr .380. in DA. Recoil management is actually better - ie you don't see national champs toting mouse guns on the line.

BTW, I've heard the things will chamber an empty case, in reality, I hope not. I'd rather clear an obvious malf than click a dead round.

and yes, boat anchor is a joke. The new kids on the block don't have enough under their belt to understand that, tho.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But yeah, they are perfect for the boat since they can double as anchors if needed.

S&W has officially ceased all production of the 3rd Gen guns. They are done and gone.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
S&W has officially ceased all production of the 3rd Gen guns. They are done and gone.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Sad for everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:30:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20763/20180213_152304-739058.jpg
View Quote
Just picked up my 4506-1 today; although heavy, it balances great

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Silly question...what are the triggers like on these guns? There is a nice 4506 on my local Armslist that has my eye and I don't own any .45s at the moment.
View Quote
DA is long with a lot of stacking, as I remember, but not overly heavy.  The SA had a bit of takeup.  The 4506-1 I had is on the shortlist of guns I wish I'd never sold.  Had a trade-in 4566TSW that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with, though - that's the only 3rd gen Smith I never cared for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Any idea where to get night sights for these 3rd gens?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
At this point, need to look for new old stock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Trijicon or Novaks for night sights
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rear night sightt

Front sight
(Although the front sight appears to be a special order, it's still available)

Edit: I'm not sure why they're not working.
They work when I tried them in "preview" before submitting.
Sorry folks.
Anyway, the links are for Midway USA.

How about a screenshot

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Those links don’t work.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Sent the slide of my 4506-1 to Trijicon to get re-lamped. The price is $57 USD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top