Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 12:10:55 PM EDT
This is the hottest 9mm load that I've chrono'd to date, but not by much compared to older lots of Silver and Brown Bear. I am not sure what powder they use, but it's a hefty charge at 9.5gr (I misspoke in the video at 9.8gr). I'm guessing this would be ideal in heavy bolt SMG's :D
9x19mm, 115gr FMJ, Samson / IMI, Black Tip

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Uzi ammo
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure would like to see velocity & a gel test of Liberty's 50 grn out of a 16" bbl.  I'd pay for the ammo if you were interested.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a PSA AR-9 with a 16" barrel and live in MI, a little North of GR.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a PSA AR-9 with a 16" barrel and live in MI, a little North of GR.
View Quote

That ammo won't play well with a closed-bolt, 16" bbl AR pattern gun.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  That ammo won't play well with a closed-bolt, 16" bbl AR pattern gun.
View Quote

Which ammo, and why not?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which ammo, and why not?
View Quote

I think he means the black tip. Its borderline overpressure and designed for open bolt smg's. In a closed bolt ar pattern it'll jack up operating pressure and spike the dwell time
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
9.8 gr of Titegroup?

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think he means the black tip. Its borderline overpressure and designed for closed bolt smg's. In a closed bolt ar pattern it'll jack up operating preside and spike the dwell time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ammo, and why not?

I think he means the black tip. Its borderline overpressure and designed for closed bolt smg's. In a closed bolt ar pattern it'll jack up operating preside and spike the dwell time

Actually best in open bolt guns with the advantage of the delay imparted by API ......kind of like the L7A1 ball that's out there....
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not convinced that API imparts any significant advantage.  Straight blowback is about the safest operating system conceived.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure would like to see velocity & a gel test of Liberty's 50 grn out of a 16" bbl.  I'd pay for the ammo if you were interested.
View Quote
no one has tested it in gel? 16" velocity is about 2550 fps from a test I did awhile back
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no one has tested it in gel? 16" velocity is about 2550 fps from a test I did awhile back
View Quote

Holy shit, sign me up. Time to get that 16" scorpion I always wanted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That ammo won't play well with a closed-bolt, 16" bbl AR pattern gun.
View Quote

It will at least once.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  no one has tested it in gel? 16" velocity is about 2550 fps from a test I did awhile back
View Quote

It's been tested in gel from a handgun & came up short, 10-11" IIRC.  Hence my curiosity for 16", as my EDC secondary is a SUB-2000.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's been tested in gel from a handgun & came up short, 10-11" IIRC.  Hence my curiosity for 16", as my EDC secondary is a SUB-2000.
View Quote
I could work on making that happen sometime this summer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I could work on making that happen sometime this summer.
View Quote

Let me know.  Would be be happy to cover a box of ammo.  Would be great to turn my SUB into a PS90.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually best in open bolt guns with the advantage of the delay imparted by API ......kind of like the L7A1 ball that's out there....
View Quote

Thats what I meant lol. My brain combined "for open bolt guns" and "not for closed bolt guns" so I just ended up with "for closed bolt guns"
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thats what I meant lol. My brain combined "for open bolt guns" and "not for closed bolt guns" so I just ended up with "for closed bolt guns"
View Quote
L7A1 is very warm as well :D
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Me thinks this is a re-brand/resale/private label of Liberty's lineup.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  no one has tested it in gel? 16" velocity is about 2550 fps from a test I did awhile back

I cant imagine it doing any better from a 16" gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  I cant imagine it doing any better from a 16" gun.
View Quote

Given it's picked up an extra 500 fps, I don't see why it wouldn't.  That's an additional 25% of velocity, and you're into M193 ballistics from SBRs.  I'm happy to pay for the ammo to test.  There are precious few gel tests of carry 9x19mm ammo from 16" bbls, which I think is an actual problem.  115 grn JHPs might well open up too fast & underpenetrate from a 16" carbine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Given it's picked up an extra 500 fps, I don't see why it wouldn't.  That's an additional 25% of velocity, and you're into M193 ballistics from SBRs.  I'm happy to pay for the ammo to test.  There are precious few gel tests of carry 9x19mm ammo from 16" bbls, which I think is an actual problem.  115 grn JHPs might well open up too fast & underpenetrate from a 16" carbine.
View Quote

Does it actually pick up 500fps? I find that somewhat hard to imagine as light bullets with very fast powders, like liberty's load, don't see much fps increase with longer barrels. I imagine a standard JHP, 124 to 150gr like HST, ranger t, and gold dot, unless I'm wrong and the Liberty perform like a poor mans mk318, which I highly doubt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I cant imagine it doing any better from a 16" gun.

What 9mm loads are picking up 500fps? Thats .357 level increase with magnum slower powders.

I also think, assuming the liberty bullet is at least going a little faster, they will open up and slow down faster and penetrate even less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:38:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What 9mm loads are picking up 500fps? Thats .357 level increase with magnum slower powders.

I also think, assuming the liberty bullet is at least going a little faster, they will open up and slow down faster and penetrate even less.
View Quote

agreed. If anything, I think the liberty will likely loose velocity out of a 16" barrel. Even standard rounds like 124 and 124gr +p gold dot gain 30-100 fps, many rounds gain even less than that from a 16" tube
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

agreed. If anything, I think the liberty will likely loose velocity out of a 16" barrel. Even standard rounds like 124 and 124gr +p gold dot gain 30-100 fps, many rounds gain even less than that from a 16" tube
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  What 9mm loads are picking up 500fps? Thats .357 level increase with magnum slower powders.

Uh:

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I've shot some of that in my RRA 16" barrel carbine. It is BY FAR the most accurate FMJ load that I have ever tried in that gun. It's equal in accuracy to Win 147 Ranger with is the most consistently accurate load in that gun.

I have no idea of the velocity since I dont have a chrono but it "feels" nice and smooth and runs perfectly well. This RRA carbine is a Colt pattern gun. If I could get my hands on more of that IMI ammo I'd run it exclusively.

My IMI 115gr FMJ Carnine ammo came in the box that is made to look like a little wooden crate, from the late 80's early 90's I believe. The bullets have a black painted tip like in the OP and the cases are stamped "9mm Carbine".
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Uh:

View Quote

Well I stand corrected. Gel results would be interesting, especially to compare it to say mk318 out of a super short barrel. Liberty has a 16" gel test on their YouTube, but its only one shot into bare clearballistics gel, and they don't give penetration measurements or velocity
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Uh:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  What 9mm loads are picking up 500fps? Thats .357 level increase with magnum slower powders.

Uh:

@Buffman_LT1
I looked the other day but couldn't find it. Do you have it up?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1
I looked the other day but couldn't find it. Do you have it up?
View Quote
The 16" Civil Defense velocity? I used a round of it in an armor test here: >

Stopping Ultra Fast 9mm Rounds? Veteran's MFG Ultralight IIIA+

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is the hottest 9mm load that I've chrono'd to date, but not by much compared to older lots of Silver and Brown Bear. I am not sure what powder they use, but it's a hefty charge at 9.5gr (I misspoke in the video at 9.8gr). I'm guessing this would be ideal in heavy bolt SMG's :D
View Quote

That's not all that fast.

The large charge weight probably just means they used a slower powder. The advantage here is that it might produce less pressure for the same velocity than a faster powder would produce.

In fact, that load might be within the pressure limit for non-plus P ammo, i.e. it might not exceed 35,000 psi.

You might find this article of interest. Picking the right powder can produce very high velocity and still remain within normal operating pressure limits.
fast 9mm handloads
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree.  To give some hard numbers, at least back in the 90s, Cor-Bon's 115gr 9mm +P load, the one with the old Sierra JHP, would usually do 1350 or more out of most full-sized service pistol barrels.  This may have been before there was any kind of official SAAMI spec for 9mm +P.  I can't find information online as to when that was standardized.

I have heard that reloading manuals from the 1970s had equally heavy loads using stout charges of Herco, far in excess of anything in any loading manual that's been printed since then, but I do not have any specifics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top