Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2019 4:01:39 PM EDT
Though I have a certain afinity towards conventional OWB leather holsters, I am thinking that it might be time to buy a more modern OWB holster for my Glocks. I am thinking about buying a Safariland 6377. My primary use would be for range training and local action/multi-gun matches. I most frequently shoot wither my G22 or G19 for those type of purposes. If I buy a G22 compatible model, would it be compatible with my G19 as well? Though I'm not entirely opposed to buying more than 1 holster, I would prefer to get by with one for the time being.

Also, I have some familiarity with Safariland ALS holsters, as I have a hooded model for my P226R. Would the 6377 have the same type of push button retention release?
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Shorter pistols will work in a longer holster but may rattle a bit.

SLS = hood
ALS = release button/lever
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be just fine with your G19 in a holster for a G17/G22. You will just have some extra holster sticking down below the end of the slide/barrel.

For several years, I carried a G19 in a G17 ALS holster (I can't remember the model number off the top of my head) on duty at my PD job. When I went to buy the G19 holster, no one had them in stock (policy requires basketweave and no one I could find had basketweave in stock) and I could get a G17 holster from the PD, so I did until I could get a G19 holster. It worked well enough that I never bought the G19 holster and just kept using the G17 holster.

AFAIK, all Safariland kydex holsters have a tension screw, so you shouldn't even have any real rattle or play, either, When adjusting the tension screw, just be careful to adjust it in very small amounts until you get it to where you want it. Large adjustments can result in lots of tension when you don't want it and make the gun hard as hell to draw. Just go slow and you'll get there.

If you get a holster with the suede lining, here's an old timer's trick. Before you even use the holster, spray the suede lining with silicone lubricant. Use pure silicone, not WD-40 or something. Spray till the suede is absolutely drenched and the liquid runs out the end. Let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure it absorbs into the suede, then use a rag to rub out and absorb the excess silicone and let it dry. You will probably have to use a piece of dowel rod to get into the creases and tight areas. This helps break in the suede and the added slickness makes the draw very fast and easy, as well as adding some protection for the suede from absorbing water if you happen to be out and get rained on.

It took me a while to make the change from SLS to ALS, but now I absolutely love the ALS. Secure and automatically reactivates when you holster but still offering a fast, clean draw. I won't use anything else now for a duty holster or open carry holster. I have that exact same 6377 holster for my current S&W M&P 2.0 that I use for a duty gun for those times when I am at the station off duty and in "casual" uniform, for training classes and to go to the range. I also use an ALS holster for uniform carry. I think you'll really like the 6377 and it should serve you very well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the opportunity to shoot my first match with the 6377 last weekend. I enjoy using it a lot. Holstering/drawing/reholstering is so much simplified compared to the leather OWB holsters. It wears just about as comfortably. As I expected, I still prefer the more traditional leather holster for concealment purposes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought you'd like it. To date, everyone I know that has tried an ALS holster for OWB carry has loved it. Very easy, very fast and very instinctive. I have never tried any of the 7000 series holsters, but the 6000 series is bombproof, rigid and very durable. IMO, for OWB carry where concealment doesn't matter, they just can't be beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top