User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2021 2:14:40 PM EDT
Ordered an old gun that arrived today from gunbroker

It wasn’t insured and I didn’t have the option to insure

Happy with the gun. It was shipped in the presentation case
Heavy gun, 41 year old plastic, understandable results

Pic of damage: https://ibb.co/Df7Hrs9

It was perfect in the pictures before shipping

Complete presentation cases with tools and papers added a lot of value to the gun, probably $200-300

What would you view as a settlement with seller for damage? I do want to keep the gun

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends... how was it packaged? If he just tossed the presentation box with the gun in a usps box with no padding or anything you have a case. If shit happened, then not much you can do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
After looking at the pic, it appears the gun was placed in the box with no additional packaging, although not sure how you would pad that and still get the gun in the cutout. I dunno, might be worth reaching out to the seller and see if he will reimburse you a little, although asking for 200-300 bucks is probably a stretch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
That the exact situation. Gun placed right in presentation box

He said on phone he should have packed in a separate box due to frail plastic

I struggle with the value as I can’t get a replacement, but agree full value is likely too high
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I struggle with the value as I can’t get a replacement, but agree full value is likely too high
View Quote

Why is full value too high? He fucked it up he needs to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the guy offering? I think you’re sol if he won’t help. Insured was the easy to go here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy was good to deal with during the sale, responsive
First phone call went fine, he asked me to send pics but said it wasn’t insured.
I said I’d look to see if I could buy a replacement piece and get back to him. The part that broke isn’t available where I’ve looked.

I guess I’m looking at what a complete kit looks like (200-300) and what the pieces are. The hard part to get in the part that broke

This is a nice, shooter grade gun, with some accessories

Reasonable to ask for $100 and then also submit a claim for $50 that comes with priority mail?

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I would go after this guy for damages.

Yes. He should have shipped the gun in it's original cardboard box, or a like box to protect the gun. The presentation cases are worth money, but the insides of the boxes are like a jug of milk. There is an expiration date, and once it hits that date. Shit goes south pretty quick.

You very well could have done the same to the case by just sticking the gun in it to see what it looks like. The plastic gets brittle, and the flocking can turn to dust. It's just the way it is with these types of things. I have a half a dozen presentation cases that never saw their guns kept in them, and their insides are all disintegrating.

You could try to remold and add some thin plastic back into that area and reflock it, but your best bet would be to look for a newly made insert. I know that they have been for sale over the years, but have no idea of who made them.

Some people just make their own with closed cell foam that they fabric cover or flock.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ll be the curmudgeon here and say that it’s not the seller’s responsibility to pay for the damage. If you wanted insurance you should have requested it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ll be the curmudgeon here and say that it’s not the seller’s responsibility to pay for the damage. If you wanted insurance you should have requested it.
View Quote

Agreed. A simple business transaction, he sells, upon payment he ships. Done - unless gross negligence can be proven.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to figure out how the tip of the muzzle broke through the plastic insert during shipping but no outside damage to wooden case? Strange. Moving forward.......

Over at the S&W forums there is a gentleman who restores S&W Presentation cases to better than new condition at a reasonable cost. Not only did he restore my Model 29-2 8 3/8" Presentation case to like new condition, he delivered it to me when finished! He lives about an hour away, but wanted to take his wife to lunch here on the Lake where I live. Go to those forums and someone will give you his information. He's located in Ohio. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:44:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I struggle with the value as I can't get a replacement, but agree full value is likely too high
View Quote

This. Gun should have been packaged separately from presentation box. Both wrapped individually. Its the sellers fault.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how the tip of the muzzle broke through the plastic insert during shipping but no outside damage to wooden case? Strange. Moving forward.......

Over at the S&W forums there is a gentleman who restores S&W Presentation cases to better than new condition at a reasonable cost. Not only did he restore my Model 29-2 8 3/8" Presentation case to like new condition, he delivered it to me when finished! He lives about an hour away, but wanted to take his wife to lunch here on the Lake where I live. Go to those forums and someone will give you his information. He's located in Ohio. Good luck!
View Quote

The plastic gets brittle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top