User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2020 2:47:05 AM EDT
http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/4693452

STI is no longer STI, but instead Staccato
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
When company leadership sits down and decides, “I wish we had less brand recognition.”
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:29:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Have they ever figured out a way to make a reliable magazine?  

Cool looking gun though
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Those 2011s are incredible.   Unless you get one that won’t run without more work.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When company leadership sits down and decides, "I wish we had less brand recognition."
View Quote

No kidding.

What a dumb move.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh and let’s call every model the same name but differentiate them with random letters.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Strayer-Tripp, Inc. has not been the same since Sandy Strayer left STI
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool looking gun though
View Quote

A double stack, single feed is just a POS.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Tripp, made some good guns when he had his shop here in Alpine.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cool looking gun though
View Quote

My gen 2 mags with TTI basepads have been 100% in my combat master.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
MBX mags are amazing.

The new STI (staccato) mags have also ran flawless for me.

I have never tuned a mag and wouldn’t know where to start. Granted I’m new to the 2011 game and started with a Nighthawk double stack.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No kidding.

What a dumb move.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When company leadership sits down and decides, "I wish we had less brand recognition."

No kidding.

What a dumb move.

It was news to me that STI's problem was the branding and the logo

I kinda felt calling every gun a "staccato" was kinda stupid?
Perhaps it's because I actually think the name "staccato" wasn't the best - and it's not immediately obvious what the gun configurations are.
Then they double down and change the company name to that?

This isn't GD so I'll stop here but. I think it's downright dopey.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Perhaps it's because I actually think the name "staccato" wasn't the best - and it's not immediately obvious what the gun configurations are.
View Quote

Oh come on, it's perfectly clear, as you can see.  Makes perfect logical sense.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/stilol_jpg-1434812.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
But that is literally every doublestack pistol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry guys it’s my fault. Everything I buy into dies.
VTX
Excursion
EDM Windrunner
STI

My bad

Quoted:

View Quote

It’s like DVC but better!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

So....does this mean I own a Staccato Staccato P now?  

Yeah strange move.  Talked about this with some buddies, one of them figured it had to do with STI/Staccato competing for LE contracts.  Who knows?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When company leadership sits down and decides, “I wish we had less brand recognition.”
View Quote

One could argue there are advantages to that in this case.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One could argue there are advantages to that in this case.
View Quote

lol true.

But still dumb
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many taper up to a single stack?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah strange move.  Talked about this with some buddies, one of them figured it had to do with STI/Staccato competing for LE contracts.  Who knows?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what you will about S&W 3rd gens but at least they had an ethos system.

Some of the moves by the current crop of owners are hard to interpret as anything other than boneheaded.  I do give them credit for bringing back a polymer single stack frame.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What issues are you taking with them?
View Quote

Foremost, putting out a half-assed mag redesign with the Gen 2s and the Gen 2 grip.   They decided to move right on to a Gen 3 because of the issues with the Gen 2.  

Second, renaming their company after one of their pistol models and then renaming the pistol models to random letters with no rhyme or reason... and then changing it all up again in 2020.    I agree that they probably needed to move on from "STI" since neither Strayer nor Tripp have been there in 25 years, but they went about it poorly, IMO.

Third, continuing to send guns out the door with bad QC, especially in light of their substantial price increases.  Nobody should have to send back a $3000 1911 because it shoots 6" low at 7 yards, but there was a rash of that kind of thing being complained about on other forums.

They've made some steps in the right direction, but their missteps threaten to cancel any progress.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Literally all of them. Thats thats what the taper at the top of the mag is for. SMG's and other PCC's are double stack and feed from either side, but no standard pistol takes that style of magazine.

That said, I don't know anything about 2011's other than they were known for possibly being finicky about mags.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Literally all of them. Thats thats what the taper at the top of the mag is for. SMG's and other PCC's are double stack and feed from either side, but no standard pistol takes that style of magazine.

That said, I don't know anything about 2011's other than they were known for possibly being finicky about mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're mag finicky because the mags are fucked up in a way that no other magazine is fucked up.  

The bottom of the mag is like any other double stack, the top of the mag is like a 1911.

Stupid design.  They should have built the gun around a know good magazine but they built  their own fucked up magazines half a century after double stack mags had been perfected.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I always wondered if the mag design was flakey, or genius.   That looooong taper to the feed lips is not really seen elsewhere.   When they run they are hard to beat.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always wondered if the mag design was flakey, or genius.   That looooong taper to the feed lips is not really seen elsewhere.   When they run they are hard to beat.  
View Quote
As someone whose first love is big power forced induction cars, this is exactly how we rationalize stupifyingly expensive builds that run roughly one day per year
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool looking gun though

Redacted for my lack of reading comprehension
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:29:39 AM EDT
[#31]
No issues with my 2019 P and picking up my C2 in a few hours.

Guessing STI didn't want to be known as the Sexually Transmitted Infections guns.  

---

Picked up my C2 today and it has the new teflon? mags?  Will run a case of ammo through it this weekend when I return to work. All we have is Winchester 124gr FMJ and Ranger 127 gr +P+.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Double stack mags are either single feed or double feed.

Most PCCs/subgubs are double stack double feed. Handguns are double stack single feed, the 2011 just has an extreme trapper to the top of the mag.

Because the 2011 uses a 1911 slide, which is designed to use a single stack mag, the 2011 requires an extreme taper at the top to simulate a single stack 1911 mag.
View Quote

The Five-seveN is the only double stack, double feed pistol that I can think of.

Everything else that is double stack is single feed, but yeah the 2011 takes that to an even greater extent which I'm sure is the root of a lot of their issues.

Double stack single feed is more popular in PCC/subguns than it should be though, especially in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

So virtually every single modern high capacity handgun?

K....
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

K....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K....

I should have said the double stack - single stack magazine is retarded.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#35]
This is a shame.  My understanding from reading other boards (disclaimer: no way to verify if it is true) is that they were bought by an investment firm.

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a Cerberus / Freedom Group type situation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Just over an hour

Hell to the no
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Staccato < SVI
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Just over an hour

Hell to the no
View Quote

It was pretty informative.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It was pretty informative.
View Quote

Then summarize it for us

If I remember Monday I might put it on for my work commute. Is he just talking about the name or does he cover a bunch of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Those 2011s are incredible.   Unless you get one that won’t run without more work.
View Quote

You mean like my son's? He was not happy when his $2K+ pistol wouldn't run as good as his RIAs.

The factory did ended up fixing it, but an expensive gun like that shouldn't have made it out of the factory with problems.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You mean like my son's? He was not happy when his $2K+ pistol wouldn't run as good as his RIAs.

The factory did ended up fixing it, but an expensive gun like that shouldn't have made it out of the factory with problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ok I know a sponsored shooter that couldn't get his guns to work
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then summarize it for us

If I remember Monday I might put it on for my work commute. Is he just talking about the name or does he cover a bunch of stuff.
View Quote

Name change
Mags
Parts
Different grips
Warranty
Hero Program
And a bunch of babble.

I was on the deck having a cigar and a drink yesterday when it went live so i watched it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Steyr GB was a double-stack 9mm with a flush 18 round mag that feeds from both sides. It would have been a very popular pistol if that pesky Glock hadn't edged it out for the Austrian service pistol contract.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is a shame.  My understanding from reading other boards (disclaimer: no way to verify if it is true) is that they were bought by an investment firm.

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a Cerberus / Freedom Group type situation.
View Quote

representing a '60s TV detective?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It used to piss STI guys off to no end when I would beat them at club matches with a stock para.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I don’t understand STI. They’ve practically abandoned their core market of competition shooters and focused on $3,000 “defensive pistols”. It’s like they’re chasing customers who are too rich to buy Gucci Glocks.

They also raised their dealer program from a 3 gun minimum to a $15k minimum. We used to sell a few a year but I’m not dropping $15k on a bunch of niche 2011s that don’t even understand their own market. They don’t seem to want competition shooters any more, LE isn’t buying $3000 sidearms, so are there really that many people carrying high end 2011s for self defense? Maybe it works for them, maybe it doesn’t. But they’ve definitely lost a big market that got them to where they are today.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don’t understand STI. They’ve practically abandoned their core market of competition shooters and focused on $3,000 “defensive pistols”. It’s like they’re chasing customers who are too rich to buy Gucci Glocks.

They also raised their dealer program from a 3 gun minimum to a $15k minimum. We used to sell a few a year but I’m not dropping $15k on a bunch of niche 2011s that don’t even under their own market. Maybe it works for them, maybe it doesn’t. But they’ve definitely lost a big market that got them to where they are today.
View Quote

I think they’re going for a much larger market now, the local dealers cannot keep them on the shelf.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
The increased buy in signals health usually. When your volume increases you get to a point where small volume dealers just aren't worth it. Honestly $15,000 isn't that much when almost all the guns are over 2k and some over 4k.

I would love to see the production numbers on the competition guns over the last decade. My guess is that with the glut of competent smiths out there that's where a lot of the market went. With the money they are asking it's not a stretch to just have a gun built. It is weird not seeing a Edge or similar. They kind of have one but it's only available in 9mm and 45 so Limited shooters aren't going to pick it up.

They have probably been losing market share for years to CZ and EAA and the new Dan Wesson DWX will definitely take more away. I don't really know anything about BUL but I sure am seeing them more and more. STI probably wanted to try and solidify their niche. I wish them the best but don't see one in my future any time soon unless I find a killer deal on a used gun. I have wanted one of the integral comp setups since I first saw the Costa Carry Comp but I just don't wan't one bad enough to pay 3-4 grand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top