Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2018 9:39:55 PM EDT
I just bought this very nice Sp101 at a pawn shop today and must say that I'm impressed with its ruggedness. It is very clean and lock-up is nice and tight everywhere. After cleaning it, it seems that the previous owner mostly shot 38spl loads through it. Didn't come with a box or anything, but would like to get some new grips for it. The ones on it are I think the second pair you get from Ruger in the box(Hogue 3-finger rubber)?
While they feel FANTASTIC in the hand and I'm betting would really soften that recoil, I think they are UGlY as SIN! I'm thinking of getting some Badgers Dymalux Black boot grips because they look beautiful as hell and I bet feel pretty good while not shooting it.
Anyone have any thoughts or info on what to get for this little hog-leg? Thanks,
Ray
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the hogue mono grip for mine, it’s not pretty but it’s comfortable to hang onto. Mine was like new when I bought it, so I took it apart and cleaned it out there was so much metal shavings in the trigger area, i couldn’t believe it, I believe someone at ruger had to be packing it in there on purpose.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
LOl, mine is pretty clean after looking inside.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You are not kidding about 158g being a little harsh. I swear this is the most unpleasant pistol I have ever shot! My 7.5" 44mag is a pussycat compared to this little monster. I think I'll stick with the rubber grips, lol.
Will the lighter 125g ammo really make a difference in felt recoil?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had one for about 15 years. Paid $300 used at the funshow.

I installed a spring kit and did some smoothing to get the trigger pull nice.

I happen to like the Hogue grips with the finger slots and have them all 3 of my Sp 101's.

I don't shoot 38's in any of my 357's. Don't need to I handload and can load to the power level I want.

Had this 357 out a couple of weeks ago, it still kills steel dead.

I have found that full power 125 gr 357's are the best load for this revolver. Lots of power and recoil still managable.

When I shoot the full power 158 gr 357's, recovery time is a lot longer and you notice the recoil.

My every day practice load is what I call 3/4 power, 158 gr home cast powder coated bullet at about 1000fps. (10.0 grs True Blue powder)
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You are not kidding about 158g being a little harsh. I swear this is the most unpleasant pistol I have ever shot! My 7.5" 44mag is a pussycat compared to this little monster. I think I'll stick with the rubber grips, lol.
Will the lighter 125g ammo really make a difference in felt recoil?
View Quote
Assuming the 125 grain is a hot self defense round, the recoil will probably be more abusive. At least that is my experience. In addition the muzzle blast and flash will be more unpleasant. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Good catch. They are a great revolver for the money. They are made to last forever and they look attractive as well compared to other Ruger or other brands of guns. I forgot how well mine shot until we took it out the other day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good catch. They are a great revolver for the money. They are made to last forever and they look attractive as well compared to other Ruger or other brands of guns. I forgot how well mine shot until we took it out the other day.
View Quote
I love the looks and feel of it. I'm still gonna shoot full loads in it. I shot 25 158g mag loads and and about 25 38spl. This one and the Speed Six are Ruger's sexiest models, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top