Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2019 10:29:52 AM EDT
I was in the local shop a few days ago looking at 22 pistols.  I have 2 5.5" MKII's but wanted something a little lighter for my wife and daughter to shoot.

Compared the S&W 22 Compact and the SR22.  Came home, did some reading and watched some vids and went back yesterday and picked up the SR22.  $299 + tax and I was on my way.  It also included 3 mags.

Anyone own one?  Pros or cons?  Looks like it's going to be a fun pistol to play with.  Hoping to get to the range in the next few days to get if broken it.

Here's the required pic of the new gun...  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It just runs and runs and runs.  Ruger got this one right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
safe is down, fire is up  ;  backwards  
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Simply consider the flipper as a decocker.  Fire is up.  Decock is down.

More:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Beginner-Shooter-Info-Not-For-Experts-Please-Skip-How-To-Set-Up-A-New-Pistol-Photos-Re-Linked/4-164861/
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m very happy with mine.  My kids love it and it runs great suppressed too.  No complaints here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It may have been a mistake buying this gun. My daughter (32yo) wanted to shoot today so we loaded up and headed to the range. I let her shoot it and she proclaimed it as her new pistol.  She said she’d like to have it for her apartment gun vs her G26.

This thing is a blast to shoot. She started off with one of the MK II’s and put about a hundred rounds thru it. Once she started with the SR22 she had no interest going back to the MK II. For $299 I may just pick up another one in the next week or so.

We ran about 500 rounds thru it of various bulk pack ammo, mostly Federal and Winchester. The second round fired didn’t eject (Federal), all other ammo ran just fine using all 3 mags.  I think it’s going to be a keeper and a great plinker pistol.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
As much as my grandkids like the SR22, unless you have really small hands for a guy, buy a Ruger 22/45 Lite Mk.IV.   You will like it even better.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Ruger-Mk-IV-22-45-Lite-Under-An-ADE-Green-Micro-Dot-a-UTG-Tandemkross-Williams-Fire-Sight-Update/32-186292/

Get the Williams Fire Sights and forget the MiniRedDot business.

Trying to re-possess the SR22 is not a good idea.

Buy CCI MiniMags.  100% function.  You can practice with bulk junk, but CCI MM and Blazer work way better.

Buy a full case.  Free shipping.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-blazer-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-lead-round-nose-0021-p-1357.aspx
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife loves hers. It's basically a P22 that doesn't break. Holsters are hard to find. Have to roll my own.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Great gun.

First of all, if it goes click instead of bang, just pull the hammer back and try again. This works most of the time with mine.

Second, CCI mini mags is the most reliable ammo for mine.

Third, clean it every chance you get. .22lr can be dirty and this gun likes to be clean.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Why Ruger, why?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

More:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Beginner-Shooter-Info-Not-For-Experts-Please-Skip-How-To-Set-Up-A-New-Pistol-Photos-Re-Linked/4-164861/
View Quote
Same answer. Different day.

If you have trained on a SIG decocker, a Smith 1076, any slide mounted decocker like older Smiths or a Walther, or a service Beretta, you just decock and always put the lever back up for sure.  Lotta guns down is decock/safe, fire is up/level.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It will have good ammo run thru it most of the time but I still have cases of bulk pack Federal I bought years and years ago at Wal Mart when I heard the price was gonna be raised from 7.97 a box to 8.97 a box. I’m also loaded up on mini mags.

One of my MK II’s was bought new in 1982. I wish I had a dollar for every round that’s been shot they it.

Thanks for the input, glad to know others have enjoyed theirs too. I’m not too concerned about the safety going the “wrong” direction, this is going to be a range plinker and not a CC gun.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
RK guns carries the special issue ones for $260 sometimes.
Need to get the emails for when they are in stock.

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two of them. Work and shoot great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had one for years.  It's the pistol I carry in the saddlebag of my dual-sport motorcycle.  It eats anything.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Small enough to pocket carry??
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Small enough to pocket carry??
View Quote
Not really.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I've fed mine everything. Cheap ammo, ammo older than me, good ammo, it doesn't ever care. It's a hungry little beast. Only issues I've had were from old old ammo. Fun little gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I got one for my mother in law - she doesn't run that fast and .22 LR should be enough to snag the inheritance.

No, really, she doesn't have the upper body strength to cock the internal hammer of a Mk 2 by racking the bolt.  W/ the SR-22, she can at least cock the hammer before she racks the slide, so she can clear malfunctions.

It

takes

her

seconds

to

clear

a

malfunction, but she can do it.

I got her the long bbl, on the grounds that .22 LR can use every extra inch for velocity to convert into penetration.  Eley arguably has the most reliable rimfire primers, and they have a 42 grn supersonic load that might be the best defense ammo in .22 LR.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Eley arguably has the most reliable rimfire primers, and they have a 42 grn supersonic load that might be the best defense ammo in .22 LR.
View Quote

In my experience, CCI > Eley.

If I were to use 22LR for SD, I'd use some Velocitors.  Those things are pretty hot.

Eley is 1,250 FPS.  Velocitor is 1,435 FPS.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm thinking of getting one of these as a can host. I assume they work well suppressed?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]
You'll need to get the threaded bbl model.  Ruger makes their own .22 can, so if it doesn't work you can send it in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I like mine, so do the grand kids. It's lighter than my 22/45 and Single Six. Bought it on an auction I lowballed that fell under the radar. Hard to beat a Ruger 22
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#23]
OST as a friend is interested in one...
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I want one but that goofy safety and the prices they were asking have kept me from buying one.  My 22/45 Lite with a  few mods is a tack driver but I wanted something small to toss in my daypack.  I'd hoped to find one used but I doubt that'll happen any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#25]
We have one and it has been reliable.
Just wish the mags held more rounds...
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Follow up 16 months later. The gun still shoots anything we run thru it. My daughter likes to shoot it about any time we go to the range it’s had several thousand rounds run thru it with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I had one for a few years, it was pretty good, a bit small for my hands and I don't have large hands.  It was pretty reliable but sometime would have failure to extract when a little dirty.  I sold it and got a G44 instead, as it felt like a more normal size pistol to train with (G19 size).  SR22 would be great for a woman or younger shooter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had one for years & my kids & wife loved shooting it.  It is quite small but comes with different size grips you can switch out, but even the larger ones aren't very big, at least to me, but I've got larger hands.  It shoots pretty much anything I feed it & has ran great.  Excellent plinker & great at teaching new & young shooters the fundamentals.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one for the wife but think I'll be replacing it with a Kel Tec P17.  I don't like the safety on the Ruger, as the poster above stated, it's backwards from any other pistol I have shot.  Otherwise it fits the hand, reasonable accurate, and feeds well (I don't recall any/many misfeeds).
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you have trained on a SIG decocker, a Smith 1076, any slide mounted decocker like older Smiths or a Walther, or a service Beretta, you just decock and always put the lever back up for sure.  Lotta guns down is decock/safe, fire is up/level.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More:

Same answer, yet another day.  Its a decocker.  Apparently you have never shot SIG, S&W, Walther, or Beretta pistols.  SIG, Smith, and Beretta have all had versions where the decocker automatically recovers to the DA fire position.  Walther metal guns always had decockers on the slide.  PP, PPK, PPK/S, TP22.

Good luck trading a gun with near perfect reliability for one that is not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I purchased an SR22 when they first came out. I have over 10,000 rounds through mine. The only ammunition that I’ve had problems with was the 36gr Federal that came in the 50 round, white cardboard box. This was from the 2019 Black Friday Deal. That same ammo runs fine in other guns.

At one point, the barrel screw backed out, allowing the barrel to be battered against the stud on the frame. I found out this was a problem on early guns. A call to Ruger got me a new barrel and barrel screw with thread-locker liberally pre-applied. I was soon back in business with no problems since.

My only complaint is that the grip is a bit small even for my “medium” glove sized hands. The grip surface is a sleeve that can work it’s way off when wet, sweaty or oily. When it does, it can interfere with the magazine base plate. I have since slightly relieved some of the rubber grip material at the bottom to ensure the magazine fully seats without extra effort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top