Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 9:18:33 AM EDT
I stumbled across a full size stainless SR1911 in 9mm on clearance from the local farm store and after handling it a couple times I figured that I couldn't let it go home with anyone else. This is the first 9mm 1911 I have ever shot, so I thought I was taking a chance by going away from old reliable 45acp. I got the chance to shoot it a few day ago and holy shit! that is probably the most comfortable, smoothest shooting out of the box 1911 I have ever fired. The trigger could use a little work, but it functioned flawlessly and was just a pure pleasure to shoot. the slide is perfectly smooth and locks up tight. Everything works the way it should and the sights seem to shoot very well for me right out of the box with 115 FMJ's.

I tried searching for reviews on this particular firearm with very little info found. I have no complaints about this, actually I'm tickled pink about this unit. It may become one of my more frequent "go to" range accessories.

The Gee
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures........
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics! The Commander 9mm is on my short list.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up the lightweight commander.  Trigger pull is just over 3.75 lbs,  the store didn't have any extra magazines so I'm going to order some later today if I can find them.  I'm likely going to order some vz grips as well, but not sure yet exactly what I want.  I cleaned it up this morning with out to much effort, small bit of red locktite on rear site set screw so it shouldn't be moving anywhere soon.  I also noticed some yellow goo (paint), not sure what it is on the recoil spring.  I haven't seen that before but this is my first ruger 1911 .  I am impressed by the fit and finish for a sub $1000 gun, much better than I had anticipated and the stainless just looks damn good.  If it shoots well I may make another trip to the gun store as they had an officer's model in stock as well.    I'm going to try to get to the range later this week and will try to get a short review in.   Ruger has to slow up on new models I don't have enough money to buy all the stuff that they are coming out with right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 1200 rounds through my Lightweight 9MM Commander. Runs like a sewing machine. It is always a pleasure to shoot. A very good value in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have SR1911s in 45 and 10mm, I really want a 9mm next.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have SR1911s in 45 and 10mm, I really want a 9mm next.
View Quote
How are you liking the 10mm?
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a Ruger 1911 in 9mm yet, but I do have a Citadel 1911in 9mm. It is a soft shooting accurate pistol. It's one I bring out for beginning shooters. I'm a ruger fan. I need to pick one up.

jim
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks nice. I don't know how Ruger makes the quality pistols/rifles the way they do and set them at a lower/more competitive price as they do. You get quite a bargain with Ruger gun. Let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Are there any long-term durability concerns with the aluminum frame?
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm picking up a 9mm target model about lunchtime.

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Can we get a range report on the Target 9mm?

It's a sharp looking product, just wondering how it performs
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's going to be a little while before I can take mine to the range. The "ran out of matching parts" look doesn't do a thing for me, so I ordered new safeties, MSH, and a slide stop from EGW. Ought to be here by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's going to be a little while before I can take mine to the range. The "ran out of matching parts" look doesn't do a thing for me, so I ordered new safeties, MSH, and a slide stop from EGW. Ought to be here by the end of the week.
View Quote
That was good for a chuckle, I get what you are saying
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Colt Lightweight Commander was generally considered to be good for at least 20,000 rounds. That was in 1950 and aluminum alloys are much better now.  Kimber tested their alloy frame 1911s to 20,000 rounds and found no appreciable wear.   I knew of one IDPA shooter 10 years ago who had put 60,000 rounds through his Kimber and it was still running strong.

My Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander in 9mm has held up just fine for about 1000 rounds, and I think it will out last me as a concealed carry weapon, shot periodically for proficiency.   50 rounds a week for 10 years will be 26,000 round, and even at $6 per box for practice handloads, the ammo cost will be $3,120 - about 4.5 times the cost of the pistol itself - and I'm pretty sure the pistol will run just fine for a lot longer than that.   Consequently, I'm not worried about life span of the frame.

I have other steel framed 1911s for round intensive activities like tactical pistol match shooting.

My major beef with it was a lack of night sights, but with a dove tailed front sight, it's an easy fix:

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Midwayusa has 10-rd MetalForm mags on sale for $18.99/each.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm picking up a 9mm target model about lunchtime.

https://i.postimg.cc/NfPvTHLg/20180918_200837.jpg
View Quote
Awesome!  What is the average street price on those?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lifetime warranty.  Answer should be:  absolutely not.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.  I didn’t think that would cover normal wear and tear.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I'l post mine then.  

Out of the box I noticed that the recoil spring seemed rather heavy.  Sure enough, I ran into functioning problems.  Stovepipes about once per magazine and would not lock open on the last round.  Fired cases ejected right on top of me and sometimes actually landed on my arms.
A bit of research indicated that Ruger installs an 18 pound recoil spring at the factory.  I ordered a 14 pound spring per the Wollff reccomendation.  Later read on ARFCOM that I should have gone even lighter, but we'll see what happens.

It's really accurate though.

ETA:  There's one other thing I should mention.  I bought it at a big box store Black Friday sale and they had three examples on hand.  The other two had noticable slop in barrel to slide fit and this was the only one with a tight lockup.

UPDATE:  The lighter recoil spring did the trick and it functions just fine now.  May try an even lighter spring later though just to see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top