Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2018 2:51:42 AM EDT
I'm thinking about getting myself a SAA clone for my birthday in a few weeks but I'm kinda lost as to which one would be best. I've looked into the differences before and couldnt get a consistent answer between everything I found.
Ideally, I'm looking to get a 5.5" barrel 1873 pattern with high polish blue barrel and cylinder with case hardened frame and trigger guard. As to all the different manufacturers, Cimarron, Uberti, etc, who makes the best for the money? I know there are some models that have been worked over to have a, from I have gathered, substantially better trigger and smoother action. Is it truly worth it?
The only SAA clone I've handled that wasn't a Vaquero was one of the Cimarron offerings and I loved it. So I guess I'm biased towards them until I have better info.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
In for replies as this is relevant to my interests as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have limited experience with the many models, but this is mine. The first one I shot was a Colt and I borrowed it again when introducing my kids to cowboy guns. My older daughter, then 14, was a big John Wayne fan and she did well with it. I bought the Taurus version when it came out because funds were tight and I introduce a lot of people to shooting a variety of guns and liked the idea of a frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar so a round under the firing pin wasn't venerable. The biggest gripe I have is the prominent "Taurus" logo on the barrel. I had some leading issues early on and polished the forcing cone, but was completely eliminated by lubing the bullets with Lee Alox. I load with Hodgdon Clays (not Universal Clays) powder. The blue/color case finish is exquisite and I enjoy shooting it. My son bought a Uberti nickeled one.  Had to polish the chambers and he had a pistolsmith work the trigger. The front sight windage was off a bit and he never got it corrected (barrel vise needed) before he sold it. I always wanted a Cimarron Evil Roy but now I'll just be staying with what I got. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
1. Standard Manufacturing--As good as Colt and maybe better at $2,000
2. Taylor's
3. Uberti
4. Cimarron
5. Heritage
6. Pietta
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt SAA 3rd gen and a few Ubertis. Always loved the Ubertis.

1873 SAAs
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt SAA
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Uberti Single Actions
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2. Taylor's
3. Uberti
4. Cimarron
5. Heritage
6. Pietta
View Quote
I wish I had not went and looked at Standards website

I must have this!
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The newer Uberties have new safety features added. Taylor&Co. Have been switching over to Piettas. I have one and love it.
No safety crap on the Piettas. Go to buds and search on the Taylors. I want more. I have a Uberti/stoeger and also 2 Pietta 1858 Remingtons.
I had a Ruger Vaquero and didnt like it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I love this picture of mine. Laser engraved Legacy Outlaw Taylor&Co. and Uberti/Stoeger
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I know they are out of some peoples budget but deals on Colts can be found. This 3rd gen in .357 was under $1300 a couple years ago.

There is just something about a Colt SAA.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd love a Colt, but the budget is really liking the Uberti
But I do like how the Uberti doesnt have a transfer bar or any of that. Any advice against the Uberti? Cabelas has them for a good price, and I can get dealer pricing via several distributors through my work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I must have this!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. Taylor's
3. Uberti
4. Cimarron
5. Heritage
6. Pietta

I must have this!
That is most definitely one SWEET piece of art
Notice how all of the screws are aligned on the port side.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd love a Colt, but the budget is really liking the Uberti
But I do like how the Uberti doesnt have a transfer bar or any of that. Any advice against the Uberti? Cabelas has them for a good price, and I can get dealer pricing via several distributors through my work.
View Quote
For the price, nothing against it.
Actually I have loved Uberti for a good while.
Showing you more of my Uberti stuff

Good Ole West.
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Replica SAAs, Uberti .45 LC
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting myself a SAA clone for my birthday in a few weeks but I'm kinda lost as to which one would be best. I've looked into the differences before and couldnt get a consistent answer between everything I found.
Ideally, I'm looking to get a 5.5" barrel 1873 pattern with high polish blue barrel and cylinder with case hardened frame and trigger guard. As to all the different manufacturers, Cimarron, Uberti, etc, who makes the best for the money? I know there are some models that have been worked over to have a, from I have gathered, substantially better trigger and smoother action. Is it truly worth it?
The only SAA clone I've handled that wasn't a Vaquero was one of the Cimarron offerings and I loved it. So I guess I'm biased towards them until I have better info.
View Quote
At the moment I own six Uberti's and Cimarron's that are made by Uberti, and a seventh is in the works. Also own a 100% USFA and two 1st Generation Colts. But I just can't say enough good about the Uberti's. Quality had just gotten better and better over the years.

You don't say what caliber, but if you want a truly high polish blue, one of these beauties may be just what you want-

They're available in 45 Colt only. I got mine earlier this year and it had been a display model in a gun shop in Louisiana where some ham-handed coon ass put the ring on the cylinder. No matter though, it is just stupid, ridiculously accurate, especially for a fixed sight Colt reproduction.

As someone already mentioned, the new Uberti's now come with a safety feature in the form of a retracting firing pin. I bought a Uberti Flat Top back in August and it has it. I hate it and will change it back to the old style eventually, but it's not the end of the world. If one shops carefully and is careful to buy a Cattleman and not a Cattleman II, they can avoid the safety feature.

Here is one that DOESN'T have the new safety feature-

Uberti 1873 Frisco 4 3/4"

And one that does-

Uberti 1873 Frisco 5 1/2"

Notice the position of the trigger in the trigger guard. The trigger of the one with the retracting firing sits further out in the trigger guard.

It is true that so far Pietta is not using the safety feature. I owned one for a couple of weeks but didn't care for it as it wasn't finished quite as well as the Uberti's I've owned and handled and physically it's the same size as a Colt where the Uberti produced revolvers have a very, VERY slightly larger cylinder window and cylinder, which makes them a bit stronger.

I'd suggest browsing Dixie Gun Works as they stock a shit ton of Uberti SA's.

Let us know what you decide on!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

At the moment I own six Uberti's and Cimarron's that are made by Uberti, and a seventh is in the works. Also own a 100% USFA and two 1st Generation Colts. But I just can't say enough good about the Uberti's. Quality had just gotten better and better over the years.

You don't say what caliber, but if you want a truly high polish blue, one of these beauties may be just what you want-

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Uberti%20Frisco-2%20red_zps9glj3r9h.jpg

They're available in 45 Colt only. I got mine earlier this year and it had been a display model in a gun shop in Louisiana where some ham-handed coon ass put the ring on the cylinder. No matter though, it is just stupid, ridiculously accurate, especially for a fixed sight Colt reproduction.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Frisco%2025%20yds._zpswpbjdqcv.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Frisco%2050%20yds.%20290%20gr%20SWC%20edit_zpstjm3gwdo.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti%20Frisco/Frisco%2075%20yds%2045-270%20edited_zpsc5kix4z8.jpg

As someone already mentioned, the new Uberti's now come with a safety feature in the form of a retracting firing pin. I bought a Uberti Flat Top back in August and it has it. I hate it and will change it back to the old style eventually, but it's not the end of the world. If one shops carefully and is careful to buy a Cattleman and not a Cattleman II, they can avoid the safety feature.

Here is one that DOESN'T have the new safety feature-

Uberti 1873 Frisco 4 3/4"

And one that does-

Uberti 1873 Frisco 5 1/2"

Notice the position of the trigger in the trigger guard. The trigger of the one with the retracting firing sits further out in the trigger guard.

It is true that so far Pietta is not using the safety feature. I owned one for a couple of weeks but didn't care for it as it wasn't finished quite as well as the Uberti's I've owned and handled and physically it's the same size as a Colt where the Uberti produced revolvers have a very, VERY slightly larger cylinder window and cylinder, which makes them a bit stronger.

I'd suggest browsing Dixie Gun Works as they stock a shit ton of Uberti SA's.

Let us know what you decide on!
View Quote
I appreciate the info! As for caliber I'm set on .45 Colt. Are there any noticeable differences between the Uberti made guns and the Cimarrons, since Uberti makes them for Cimarron?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I appreciate the info! As for caliber I'm set on .45 Colt. Are there any noticeable differences between the Uberti made guns and the Cimarrons, since Uberti makes them for Cimarron?
View Quote
On the older examples, I always felt the Cimarron's were finished a little better. Uberti builds them for Cimarron, to Cimarron's specs. However the Uberti Frisco pictured above, which was made in '14 and this '17 production Flat Top are both fitted and finished to a high degree

Notice how closely the loading gate fits at the top and how the line between the frame and the grip and trigger guard is almost indistinguishable.

Dixie Gun Works is an importer too. An acquaintance of mine, who is a single action snob of sorts and owns several custom SA's,  got a Flat Top from Dixie and was thrilled with the fit and finish.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
If you are looking for a SAA clone and prefer the classic Colt action (4 -clicks spelling out C-O-L-T) and no transfer bar or retractable firing pins like the new Ubertis are using, take a look at the Cimarron Frontier that is a Pietta distributed by Cimarron.  It's an excellent gun and I prefer it over the new Ubertis by a wide margin. Bud's have them for a very respectable price.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a SAA clone and prefer the classic Colt action (4 -clicks spelling out C-O-L-T) and no transfer bar or retractable firing pins like the new Ubertis are using, take a look at the Cimarron Frontier that is a Pietta distributed by Cimarron.  It's an excellent gun and I prefer it over the new Ubertis by a wide margin. Bud's have them for a very respectable price.

https://i.imgur.com/N2ea5mD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/eUe49t6.jpg
View Quote
Taylor & Co has been switching over to Piettas to. Mine is above. The Laser engraved Nickel job. Was $530.00 ? I forget the exact amount, but I agree with everything you have said. Also read up on the Uberti Cattleman II. Its got some BS spring loaded hammer firing pin block. if I wanted that I would buy a double action revolver.
A lot of people buy first and then realize oh, how do I change the hammer etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cimarron offers the prettiest models!
Evidence below

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Pietta
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#19]
You should buy one, then another, and then another, and eventually end up with a dozen or more. It doesn't matter which one you start with because you will be fascinated by each and everyone of them. I have a couple of dozen pistols and revolvers and it's never enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top