Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2022 9:16:19 PM EDT
My new Ruger max 9 is on its way back  to Ruger.

I have put about 400 rounds of factory 9mm trough it. I was having issue with the magazine randomly popping out.
About 3 weeks ago i contacted Ruger about this issue and they sent me a new spring and mag release. I put them in and yesterday my range opened back up after deer season. I was there and the mag dropped 5 times out of 75 rounds. I was using both 10 and 12 round magazines and the issue was with both.
I got home cleaned it and called Ruger back, they promptly sent me a fed ex label, today it is on its way.  They tried to say it was my grip and I was accidentally hitting the release.  My grip doesn’t put my finger anywhere near the  mag release. On the other side my middle finger rest just under where the release travels and rubs the top of the finger. If the mag release was being pushed i would feel it.
I am thinking the grip may be flexing under recoil. When not shooting the magazine is tight in the grip.

In the letter I sent stating the issues I put this is my carry pistol and I have lost trust in it.

They told me it may be 4 weeks before I get it back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger has good CS, should make it right.  Might as well give them one more chance.

...but if you can't trust it, don't.  I got to that point with a Kel-Tec PF9 years ago, dumped it at a gun show, bought an LC9.

There are plenty of other choices out there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
When i get it back I am going to test it again. I just got in 500 rounds of cci aluminum cased rounds.
If the magazine drops again I will use the magazine release I have and grind it down so it sits below the grip and will need a tool to drop the magazine. If it still drops randomly then it is 100 % the gun and not me. I am 99% sure it isn’t my grip that is hitting the release.

I like the pistol and put lot of money in it with buying 4 additional magazines, holster and all the rounds I put trough it.

4 months ago i sent my lcp in became it wasn’t hitting anything at 10 yards, they had it back to me with in a week and while not target grade accuracy it now is good for it’s intended use.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got my max9 back. very fast turn around. Reading the notes,  it said  they replaced the grip frame and fired 200 rounds of black hills 115 fmj without malfunction. When I took it apart the barrel even looked clean and had diffrent cleaner smell them the one I use.

they also sent me a chamber flag. I guess they didn't like the White paracord I had in it.  and they also sent a cleaning cloth.

I have to wait a few days to get out and test it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Update?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top