Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2021 4:09:06 PM EDT
I’m seeing the old original style magazines (with the chrome bottoms) for the Ruger MKIs and earlier listed for $50-100 on EBay or the current version for about $20 new. Any benefit to the early style or just collector pieces? I have a couple and I’m wondering if I should sell them off and get the newer style or keep them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You should sell them to me for 21 dollars,buy new ones for 20 dollars,and pocket your huge profits and exult in your business acumen.Seriously though,the new ones are pretty much junk compared to the old chromed ones,in my opinion.I only have one,and treasure it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Mark II mags work in my Standard but sometimes hang up and don't eject well. I discovered I need to rock it one way to help it eject. I'd use the original ones if possible. Mark II mags also seem cheap but maybe better than nothing. Now that I have a Mark IV I doubt I'll ever shoot it again though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a couple for my boy two years ago, or so, from these guys.

gunmag warehouse ruger-mark-i-old-style-22lr-9-round-steel-magazine
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The old mags go for a premium. I found that newer mags could fit but, the original release lever wanted to catch when trying to remove mags. I swapped out the release for a Volquartsen unit for a MKII/III and it's no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
That was my experience as well, the new mags with the plastic sliding bottoms would not play well with the heel mag release. The bottoms tended to shift just enough to let the edge of the mag body snag before dropping. They feed fine but a PITA to change as they also don’t drop down a bit like the flatter MKI factory mags with the old zigzag springs.

WAAY back I bought a Triple K replacement mag, was constructed like the factory mags with a fixed bottom but was black plastic rather than chromed metal, they change out like factory but not sure if they still make em that way. Mine did come with the zigzag spring.

Also have a Mecgar mag, seemed like I didn’t have to mess with that one as much as the new Ruger replacement mag. Works the same but the bottom didn’t shift as much.

I bought four or five original mags thru eBay over the years, usually under $40 before shipping but no idea what they go for today. I will say every one had a really good spring as I’m not sure where you could get replacements. I know that sounds high but I’ve paid more around the same time for Star BM & Zastava M88A pistol mags.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a MKI bull barrel I bought in 1982 or so and it will work with either style of mags. Didn't they make a change in them around 1980 or so to take either style?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top