Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2020 3:37:55 PM EDT
Few month back I picked up a really rough MKII from GB for $200. I planned on making a little project out of it, and refinishing it myself. Then I found out that Ruger offers an inhouse refinishing service on their old firearms, so I sent it in to them. Here are a few before and after pics.

They only charged me $110 for the service, and it took about 6 weeks or so. As much as I wanted to do it myself, there's no way with supplies and labor that I could have gotten this kind of result for what I paid them to do it for me.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a great improvement.  How much did Ruger charge for it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

$110 plus $30 for shipping

https://ruger.com/service/partsService.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks amazing!   Brand new old gun and I love it!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for posting this. I have an old Single Six that needs some work and was on the fence about sending it to them.  Seeing the results you posted settled it for me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting this. I have an old Single Six that needs some work and was on the fence about sending it to them.  Seeing the results you posted settled it for me.
View Quote

Be careful.  When I worked a counter, a guy brought me an old 3-screw single six he inherited that he wanted sent back to Ruger for the change over in parts that they always advertise.  We did so, and ruger refused to send it back, claiming that it had been in a fire (it hadn't).  When they guy gave them absolute hell over the phone while I was standing there, Ruger eventually agreed to send him the old gun back in parts with the understanding that they would not be held liable for any problems with it in the future.  Customer got even madder than hell at that, and ripped them a new one.  Eventually, Ruger agreed that he could send them back the old gun and they would replace it with a brand new one.  He didn't care about "heirloom" or "collector" status, he just wanted a Single Six that he could carry and shoot all 6 chambers.

Depending on what you mean when you say "old Single Six", you might want to get them to put down in writing what the plan is for the firearm before it gets there.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My understanding is that Ruger has really tightened up on the old three-screw guns and won't service them now, even if they have already been converted.
Originally they would return the parts they replaced to add the transfer bar safety, then they started refusing to do that as people weren't happy with their trigger and would convert them back to original.
Not surprised to hear that they will just replace the gun now with a new gun without the old lock work. Surprised to hear that they tried to just steal the gun at first, Ruger customer service used to be better than that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
From the Ruger website:

https://ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

A FreeSafety Offer From Ruger
Do you own an "Old Model" (pre-1973) Ruger Single-Six, Blackhawk,Super Blackhawk, or Bearcat single action revolver like these?

The patented Ruger Conversion Kit is an entirely new operating system for these revolvers. It can help prevent accidental discharges caused by a drop or blow to the hammer if the user has failed to take the basic safety precaution of keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber.That's very important! This mechanism can be factory-installed without any further alteration. The frame and other major parts will not be affected by this Conversion. The value of the gun will not be impaired, and we will return your original parts for collector's purposes. To receive a FREE factory safety Conversion, write to us at Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc., Dept. KC, 411Sunapee Street,  Newport, NH 03773. W ewill provide you with a shipping container and instructions. You only pay initial shipping to our factory. We will cover all other charges including return shipping costs. Please write to us without delay if you have one of these guns, and tell your friends about the availability of this kit. Remember that the safest way to carry any older single-action revolver, regardless of manufacturer, is with the hammer down on an empty chamber.If your revolver has the words "NewModel," "Bisley," or "Vaquero" on the frame, this offer is not applicable. Please write to us at:Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.Department KC411 Sunapee Street Newport, NH 03773 for full details and a FREE shipping box

View Quote

I always get a kick out of that. "The value of your gun will not be impaired". Asking price tends to be the same on the converted guns, but they sure seem to sit waiting for a buyer a whole lot longer if they've had the conversion done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top