Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2019 6:01:59 PM EDT
Is the newer Ruger LCP2 worth $50 more than the older LCP?
I was looking to buy one and I have a chance to buy new LCP for $200 or new LCP 2 for $250.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, better sights, better trigger, magazine comes with extended grip. Comes with pocket holster (not sure if LCP’s do)
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
yes. I just did a bunch of shopping and reading, and previously owned 1 or 2 of the LCP1s. yes! the 2 has real sights, real trigger, comes with both mag floor plates and a pocket holster. I was able to shoot steel plates at 15 yards the very first time I had it out the other day. So I say do it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]
also this:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/You-should-get-an-LCP-II/4-188419/
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, better sights, better trigger, magazine comes with extended grip. Comes with pocket holster (not sure if LCP’s do)
View Quote
This. What originally started out as a 'back-pocket run to the store' gun has now evolved into my 24/7 EDC including one as my car gun (3rd LCP-II arrives tomorrow to rotate w/the other two between car/EDC/training).

Tomac
Link Posted: 4/8/2019 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Imo I like the regular LCP better for a few reasons. The first is the size. On a pocket carry gun, size matters and the original LCP is a bit smaller.

The second issue is the fact that there isn't a firing pin block on the LCP II and the hammer is fully cocked. Ruger says not to carry with a round in the chamber. That's not something I want to worry about. The original LCP is only in the half cocked position, unlikely to set a round off if the hammer did fall. That's a huge thing to me on a gun I'm carrying in my pocket.

Now, that said, the LCP II does have a better trigger and better sights. Neither are a fun gun to shoot though, so I'd rather have a little heavier trigger in exchange for better safety and size.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Imo I like the regular LCP better for a few reasons. The first is the size. On a pocket carry gun, size matters and the original LCP is a bit smaller.

The second issue is the fact that there isn't a firing pin block on the LCP II and the hammer is fully cocked. Ruger says not to carry with a round in the chamber. That's not something I want to worry about. The original LCP is only in the half cocked position, unlikely to set a round off if the hammer did fall. That's a huge thing to me on a gun I'm carrying in my pocket.

Now, that said, the LCP II does have a better trigger and better sights. Neither are a fun gun to shoot though, so I'd rather have a little heavier trigger in exchange for better safety and size.
View Quote
Hogue Hybrid Grip Sleeve on my LCP-II turned it from '20rds per range trip' to '200rds per range trip'. Incredible improvement in accuracy and shooting comfort.

Tomac
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The grip is a little bit wider, but better textured, compared to the old model.  The trigger and slide hold open on the last round make LCP II very much worth it.  Trigger on the original LCP was trash, not only because of ridiculous pull weight, but because of the wonky, two click very long reset.  The sights are only slightly improved.

If money is an issue, people are dumping the original LCPs for $150 and probably under.  Even with it’s faults, it’s still a very usable and easy to conceal .380.  But, the new version is much better.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
I ended up getting the LCP 2 with a second magazine and 50 rounds of factory ball ammo for $250 out the door.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!
I ended up getting the LCP 2 with a second magazine and 50 rounds of factory ball ammo for $250 out the door.
View Quote
Excellent deal.  I paid that for my NIB one with only 1 mag and pocket holster.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys!
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve had an LCP and LCP Custom and now and LCP II. The LCP iI is the best of them all. If they would make a drift adjustable II I would love one but I’ll keep using this one until then.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
yes. I just did a bunch of shopping and reading, and previously owned 1 or 2 of the LCP1s. yes! the 2 has real sights, real trigger, comes with both mag floor plates and a pocket holster. I was able to shoot steel plates at 15 yards the very first time I had it out the other day. So I say do it.
View Quote
You're missing the point of the gun imo... I like my original LCP with its barely existent sights and crazy long trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an LCP Custom and it is a beautiful shooter. It has a better trigger and real sights. I wish someone made dot sights for it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're missing the point of the gun imo... I like my original LCP with its barely existent sights and crazy long trigger pull.
View Quote
You and me both! I’d never pocket carry the II. Love my first gen because it’s a pocket gun, not a pocket gun trying to be a duty gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. Smaller and less blocky.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought a new LCP 2 for 239.

Looking for a second mag, 7 round.

Used some white nail polish on the front site so I could get some contrast.

Going to step out back and put some round thru it shortly.

Likely get some critical defense and see how it shoots. What're you guys running for carry ammo?

Eta - just put 30 rounds armscorr fmj thru it. First round FTE, cleared it and the rest were all good. Surprisingly accurate is my first impression. At 7 and 15 yards was easy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought a new LCP 2 for 239.

Looking for a second mag, 7 round.

Used some white nail polish on the front site so I could get some contrast.

Going to step out back and put some round thru it shortly.

Likely get some critical defense and see how it shoots. What're you guys running for carry ammo?

Eta - just put 30 rounds armscorr fmj thru it. First round FTE, cleared it and the rest were all good. Surprisingly accurate is my first impression. At 7 and 15 yards was easy.
View Quote
Ammo Quest .380 Final Wrapup: finding the BEST ammo for a .380ACP pistol
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just ordered a Galco ankle glove and calf strap for my LCP.
I figured out that if I wear any gun on my belt it does bad things to my back.
So since it’s difficult to conceal a Glock in a shoulder holster sometimes I figured the ankle is the only other option.
And I like options.

Plus...
I never had a problem shooting clay pigeons @ 7 yards with the LCP, so I think the sights are sufficient for what it is.

Obviously it’s not a gold plated .45 that you might wear to your presidential inauguration, but it works well for poking holes in tight spaces.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a original LCP and it hardly had sites. I got a newer Lcp 1 and it had way better sites and a better trigger. I put a hogue grip sleeve on it and it’s a great pocket gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So since it’s difficult to conceal a Glock in a shoulder holster sometimes I figured the ankle is the only other option.
And I like options.

Plus...
I never had a problem shooting clay pigeons @ 7 yards with the LCP, so I think the sights are sufficient for what it is.

Obviously it’s not a gold plated .45 that you might wear to your presidential inauguration, but it works well for poking holes in tight spaces.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417529/3D3EF415-0C60-42C1-9163-2F78F4A480E5_png-968131.JPG
View Quote
@Holes

How do you like the ankle holster?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Holes

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I like options.

Plus...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417529/3D3EF415-0C60-42C1-9163-2F78F4A480E5_png-968131.JPG
@Holes

@AHSGA
I love it. I’m able to wear it just above an 8” steel toe boot, all day at work as a maintenance technician. Up and down ladders and all sorts of positions.

My pant legs are a little long so it’s covered well.

And VERY comfortable. The neoprene fits like a “glove”.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 on an ankle holster.  I currently wear a G43 in one daily and its very comfortable when wearing boots, less so with shoes.

My LCP currently riding in my front pocket but will be switching it to the ankle.  Its lighter weight and size may help when wearing shoes.

My leg injury and nerve damage makes having a calf strap uncomfortable and partially strapping it over the boot keeps it in place nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top