Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2023 2:36:32 PM EDT
Hello,

I just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Maximum that was cut in 1/2 through the frame at the factory. I am wanting to get it welded and case hardened. Does anyone have a recommendation for this?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is the top strap, are you sure that isn’t a flame cut from use?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Pictures.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut in half at the factory?   That doesn’t make any sense.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a gun that never left the factory. After they had an initial release, hand loaders were loading too hot and blowing them up, so Ruger cut the rest of the inventory in half and shelved them.  These haven’t seen the light of day since 1983. My father-in-law knows a guy who bought the lot and I picked one up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the craziest thing I’ve seen in a long time.  I can’t believe Ruger let those out of their hands.  I can’t see welding them back together as practical or cost effective but who knows.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Use bondo or super glue and then touch it up with paint and then leave it lying on the front seat of your car with the doors unlocked for some little thug to pick up.
:)
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone use Turnbull for their Ruger?
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Copied and pasted from an email from Turnbull in 2021. The job I asked about wasn't nearly as complicated as re-welding a cut frame either.

Hi Eric,
Thanks for contacting us. I would recommend getting in touch with Bowen Classic Arms for this project: www.bowenclassicarms.com. They do a lot of custom work on Ruger revolvers; we really only do cosmetic refinishing. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Thanks,
Sara

Sara Turnbull
Strategic Programs Director
Turnbull Restoration Co., Inc.
6680 State Route 5 and 20
Bloomfield, NY 14469
Monday-Friday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm ET
P: (585) 657-6338
F: (585) 657-7743

Neat gun OP. Color me surprised that Ruger let them out of their hands.

ETA: They also quoted $550 plus additional polishing as needed to color case harden a S/A Ruger frame about a year ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Eric for the info, I appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top