Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2020 5:15:11 PM EDT
Picked this up today, initial impressions are, I like it much better than the FnS I had before (had two), grip is much slimmer and I really like the sights. I'm also diggin the ability to buy an adapter plate from Ruger to add a red dot. So far the adapters are onlt for Vortex sights so hopefully when I get around to it, there will be a few more options.

I'll run some rounds through it this weekend to see how it shoots. :)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice

Tag for range report.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool.

LINK to a post I did on 5.7 Ammunition.
View Quote
Thanks I’ll check it out. I’ve always been a fan of the FsN but I don’t have large hands and the FnS to me is a physically large gun, the Ruger is much more sleek and comfortable in my hands. I really enjoy shooting the 5.7x28 round and have faith it’ll get the job done if I do my part.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad the poors get to join the 5.7 club. Ammo prices better drop. My supplies have been unrefreshed for years.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagging this one for the range report.

Hope it works out for you, I do have an interest in it, as I've wanted a more reasonably priced pistol chambered in 5.7 since the thing was introduced.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The unit I have in for review has been on point so far through various test rounds. It choked on some subsonic ammo, but those are meant to be run with a can, and currently no threaded barrel for the R57 is available. Plus is the Ruger barrel and action are giving me 30+ fps gains on the higher velocity rounds over the MK2 I have.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up some SS195LF and SS198LF, both are 27gr, I believe both are made by FN but I'll give the 40gr a chance too.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Until they can sell 5.7 ammo for 20 to 30 cents a round I don't see people rushing to buy a pistol ( even at $600.00) that cost that much to feed. It's too big for SD carry and forget about CCW. What is needed is  good easy to get inexpensive 5.7 ammo. The vast majority of buyers now a days are 9mm shooters due to availability and price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Who says this pistol, or any one for that matter, has to be for CCW or home defense?

Don't any of you guys own a firearm or two just for the fun of it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, I hit the range today and I’m still in the parking lot. First impressions are the gun is very nice to shoot, you load the mag much like an AR as in you push the rounds down from the top and the controls are much more natural feeling than the FiveseveN. I was shooting SS195, which is a 27gr bullet, throws a nice little fireball but recoil is very soft. I chased the POI/POA down for a bit but ended up getting it decent. I will absolutely will be getting a red dot for this.
The first 5 rounds at 5 yards.
Attachment Attached File

The next couple at 15 yards.
Attachment Attached File

Then at 25 yards. All shots off hand.
Attachment Attached File

I ran a total of 100 rounds and honestly had a hard time with the all black rear sight against the black targets. I am not a crack shot but happy with the accuracy so far and expect it to be better when I get the red dot.
Overall, I’m very happy with it, may even pick up a second later on for a back up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That’s funny.

I CCW my FN FiveseveN pistol daily. Several members over on fnforum.net have also indicated they do.

IWB holster I use.....

https://i.imgur.com/SmCswkf.jpg
View Quote
I always laugh off "too big to carry" arguments against most guns.  Unless we're talking a Desert Eagle very few guns are not easy to conceal.  My EDC is a Shadow 1 right now. No issues.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you are gong to carry a large pistol you need to plan it out.

I wear a Duluth Trading “No Polo” shirt thats one size too large, why that shirt? Because it’s a fairly heavyweight fabric and doesn’t “print”. If you wear a T-Shirt, anyone who’s paying attention is going to know you have a concealed handgun on. I suppose a Flannel shirt would also work.

Under the shirt I wear Perry Suspenders because they hook UNDER my belt. Why do I wear suspenders? Because between my primary weapon and my BUG the weight adds up.
View Quote
I'm 5'10 and 165lbs, no issues carrying a G17 or 1911 etc IWB w/ spare mag, Surefire GX2, and multitool. Run a Milt Sparks set up. Carrying a full size pistol is not hard nor does it take a special wardrobe.  I wear normal size clothes that are not baggy.

The only one who notices if you print will be yourself. Literally no one cares or notices.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That’s funny.

I CCW my FN FiveseveN pistol daily. Several members over on fnforum.net have also indicated they do.

IWB holster I use.....

https://i.imgur.com/SmCswkf.jpg
View Quote
Silly me , I expect my CCW pistol to be concealed and unnoticeable no print
Biggest pistol I can carry CCW  in a Vedders light tuck IWB without printing  is my Sig P320 c in 45acp . To me the 45acp is perfect for a urban environment where over penetration is an issue. I hand load a 230 grain Hornady XTP  over Longshot or 800x at 1000fps , great expansion and no Over penetration .
FYI ,I also like Duluth trading polos for the fit and coverage. Love the additional length to avoid plumbers crack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad the poors get to join the 5.7 club. Ammo prices better drop. My supplies have been unrefreshed for years.
View Quote
LMFAO best ironic post I've seen all day.

Last batch of American Eagle I got in was loaded rather weak.  It was in the newest box design.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The gun is cool. The round sucks.

Paul Harrell just put up a test on YT.

The ammo did poorly against his ribs and great fruit.

The gun was legit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The gun was legit.
View Quote
False.

WTF is great fruit?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

His reviews of anything 5.7x28 leave a lot to be desired.

He always uses “FN” SS 197, which is one of the absolute weakest rounds available in the caliber!

His so called “meat target” would be shredded by either Elite S4M or R&R R37.X instead of the Fiocchi crap!
View Quote
To be fair, he has used SS197, SS198 and AE and the SS197 seemed to have done the most damage. Paul has also taken 3 deer with his FiveseveN.

He has used ammo sent in from viewers who wanted to see results so you could send him the good stuff and he'll test it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Also, his FiveseveN is in his top favorite, personal handguns.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
False.

WTF is great fruit?
View Quote
Grapefruit,   ducking autocorrect on my phone...
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
False.

WTF is great fruit?
lmao ohh ok
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He always uses “FN” SS 197, which is one of the absolute weakest rounds available in the caliber!

His so called “meat target” would be shredded by either Elite S4M or R&R R37.X instead of the Fiocchi crap!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gun was legit.

To be fair, SS 197 is the easiest 5.7 to find and is the most often used 5.7 round.

Paul Harrell doing a meat target video with the load most used for the round in test mediums readily available to anyone is a common theme of his videos and one more reference point for the load.

There are other videos of other 5.7 loads tested on other mediums by other testers. Those are other reference points. Paul Harrell replicating those videos would be merely duplicitous and would omit the meat target reference point.

More information, the better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
False.

WTF is great fruit?
View Quote
Big and tasty fruit?

Did they make a threaded barrel for it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#27]
^ There are 2-3 places making/working on barrels for it.

I'm up to 422 rounds on my sample. from mild to wild, it seems like a winner. I am not sold on the trigger, but everything else is hard to pass up for $600-700
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
^ There are 2-3 places making/working on barrels for it.

I'm up to 422 rounds on my sample. from mild to wild, it seems like a winner. I am not sold on the trigger, but everything else is hard to pass up for $600-700
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not wild about the trigger either, I'm hoping someone comes up with an improvement.

I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna go red dot or not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Last batch of American Eagle I got in was loaded rather weak.  It was in the newest box design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I caught that too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:48:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not wild about the trigger either, I'm hoping someone comes up with an improvement.

I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna go red dot or not.
View Quote
Its about like shooting an FSN with an RDS. A little tall but not bad. The burris RDS have noting on the Trijon RMRs :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top