User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
?  I think .220 Swift & .22-250 are popular in Scotland - they shoot em in the neck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Why would you want to use 5.7 for deer hunting? At best you would have the equivalent of a .223 varmint sized round traveling up to 2000 fps slower than it would out of a full size ar15  platform (just spot checked, hornady super performance 223 35 gr is 4000 fps) and nobody would ever recommend a slow, or even fast, varmint round for hunting deer.
?  I think .220 Swift & .22-250 are popular in Scotland - they shoot em in the neck.
22-250 has been a popular deer round in Montana for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the ruger 57 could handle the 7.5 FK BRNO round.

5.7x28

7.5 x 27

I want a 5.7 Ruger and PCC...those two in the 7.5 would be immediate buys.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wonder if the ruger 57 could handle the 7.5 FK BRNO round.

5.7x28

7.5 x 27

I want a 5.7 Ruger and PCC...those two in the 7.5 would be immediate buys.
View Quote
Ruger 5.7 is a lever delayed blowback w/ floating bbl - that's gonna be hard to scale up to 7.5mm FK.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ruger 5.7 is a lever delayed blowback w/ floating bbl - that's gonna be hard to scale up to 7.5mm FK.
View Quote
.221 fireball?

Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: .221 fireball?

View Quote
I think you'd have to use a reduced OAL.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think you'd have to use a reduced OAL.
View Quote
If there is no extra room in the mag/grip, probably. It's a pretty small amount though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I just placed an order for on on GT distributors, normally not a ruger pistol fan but this one got my interest
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Photo from fnforum.net......

https://i.imgur.com/Q4EEyCz.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you want to use 5.7 for deer hunting? At best you would have the equivalent of a .223 varmint sized round traveling up to 2000 fps slower than it would out of a full size ar15  platform (just spot checked, hornady super performance 223 35 gr is 4000 fps) and nobody would ever recommend a slow, or even fast, varmint round for hunting deer.
Photo from fnforum.net......

https://i.imgur.com/Q4EEyCz.jpg
Of course a well placed shot (or 20 I guess) with a 5.7 will kill a deer. People can, and do, poach deer with .22 short but that doesn't make it a good round for the job. I bet someone has even taken a deer with a .177 caliber pellet before.

This is a great example of my problem with your schtick on this site, 5.7 is your hammer and it's all you care about so you make everything a nail for it when there are better tools available.

I could literally buy a new bolt action savage in most rifle calibers with scope and enough ammo to hunt and practice with for years for what this pistol costs alone and not be using a marginal caliber for deer. The same could be said for pistol season using an AR pattern pistol in any number of calibers or a big bore revolver (likely used, not new on that last count).
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was just showing it HAD been used for deer, the only thing I’ve hunted for with 5.7 walks on two legs.
View Quote
You shot Pedals the bear!?!

Thanks for the pic. I will say I wasn't really concerned about if it would work, I assumed it would, I just wanted to know if it'd be WI legal and I got that answer in the GD thread. It's not.

The WDNR can be goofy and I just wanted to know upfront how they might consider the gun if I were to encounter a warden.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]
How is the grip size compared to the FN five seven? Wife likes the recoil of hte five seven but her small hands have a hard time wrapping around it. If the Ruger is even a smidge smaller/thinner/shorter in the grip area I think it'll be a better alternative.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How is the grip size compared to the FN five seven? Wife likes the recoil of hte five seven but her small hands have a hard time wrapping around it. If the Ruger is even a smidge smaller/thinner/shorter in the grip area I think it'll be a better alternative.
View Quote
Reportedly it's thinner. Haven't held one myself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Reportedly it's thinner. Haven't held one myself.
View Quote
It's thinner. :D
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m surprised he had so many issues with his FN57. I’ve always heard they’re ultra-reliable

I’d like to see the meat test with 198LF
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, taking a break from the caliber wars and getting back to the gun, I went out this morning and shot my FN and Ruger side by side. To be honest, I like shooting the FN a little better. The Ruger seemed a little more snappy to me, and I didn’t care as much for the slimmer grip. The wider FN felt better in my hand. The Ruger also had a more rearward ejection, so when I was shooting SS197, I was getting pelted with cases bouncing off the walls of the shooting stall. With the same ammo, the FN cases were bouncing slightly forward and not on me. The slide release on the Ruger did loosen up a little from being stiff out of the box, but I still think it’s too small, and the 1911 style extended safety lever gets in the way a bit when trying to release it with my thumb. The FN slide release is much better. Also loading the Ruger mags was a bit more difficult because of their decision to put little detents in the feedlips where the case groove is. I suppose they are there to prevent the rounds from sliding forward, but the practical effect when loading is that you have to load the rounds straight from the top. If the round is a little forward and the rim is in front of the detent, you have to slide the round out forward and try again, because you can’t simply slide the round all the way back. I did like the Ruger front FO sight. Trigger and accuracy seemed to be on a par with each other; I didn’t have any real preference of one over the other, except for recoil for which I preferred the FN. Reliability on both was 100% on mine with the limited amount of SS196 and SS197 that I used. Overall, I don’t think I’d trade my FN for a Ruger, but I’m sure the price difference is going to drive a lot of people to the Ruger no matter what. YMMV.

PS, hadn’t shot 5.7 for a while and forgot how flashy it was.
View Quote
THANK YOU FOR THE RANGE REPORT!
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Any idea on when production is going to catch up to demand?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Any idea on when production is going to catch up to demand?
View Quote
Thinking that it is starting....Seen them at a local shop near me.  I just couldn't pay $699 for it.  Will waiting till they get in the low 600 range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Been following the Ruger 57 for awhile. Missed out on the starting prices on the M17 Surplus pistols and told myself I wasn't going to wait until prices skyrocketed on the Ruger 57. Not that they will be near the price of the M17s but I just checked Gunbroker and folks are already taking advantage of the shortage and they're selling around 800 and beyond.

Purchased two on Budsguns through their Reserve program. One for myself and a friend will receive the other one for 679.00 each shipped. (Not doing a straw purchase, will do a transfer on the spot). I was hesitant because I already have the FN version and a Masterpiece Arms 5.7 carbine. My FN and the carbine use the same mags. They made the carbines to take the cheaper Promag version of the FN mags which are a lot cheaper and work perfect. My pistol does better with the FN mags however.

Maybe Ruger will come out with a carbine.  Anyway, in case anyone wants to purchase one in Reserve, Budsguns has them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Ackh finally found one in stock.
Gave $688 with tax.

So, anyone find mags cheaper than Ruger yet?
And ammo.  My gosh we need cheaper ammo for these.

How about after market stuff?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Where did you find it?
Haven't found any cheaper mags or ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#24]
low cost 5.7 ammo, right now?

bahahahaha!

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Where did you find it?
Haven't found any cheaper mags or ammo.
View Quote

Shiptons big R
Sheridan WY.
Freind called them. They had three.
And we drove all the way to Sheridan to get them
I did use the 20%off ruger stuff included with the pistol.
So ordered two extra from Ruger.

CDNN has them online but the clowns want $749.99 and after shipping, ffl fee and tax that would be close to $800.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Primary Arms had then for $649, but they are already OOS
PA Ruger 57
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I shot mine today.
Two of the 4 boxes I had.
Nobody has had any 5.7 in stock.
Looks like I'll be needing to reload this stuff.
Am not looking to buy a large order until the wootan flue panic dies down some.
Buddy of mine spotted some cocksore with 30 boxes in his cart in Sportsman Whorehouse.

This pistol flung the brass further than my Tok did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well I shot mine today.
Two of the 4 boxes I had.
Nobody has had any 5.7 in stock.
Am not looking to buy a large order until the wootan flue panic dies down some.
Buddy of mine spotted some cocksore with 30 boxes in his cart in Sportsman Whorehouse.

This pistol flung the brass further than my Tok did.
View Quote

What do you think of it? Can you tell us more?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok for starters I expected to do some site cranking to site in.
This was false and it shot a few inchs high is all
That is unusual for a Ruger where I think they higher crack pimps to put their sites on.
I expected a break in but it ran all 100 rounds no problem.
It throws brass a good 30 feet.
It seemed that it wanted to shoot and accuracy at 25 yards was around 2-3 inch.
American Eagle shot better than FN blue tip.
The trigger is never going to be 1911 or CZ ish.
It felt a big bunch like my Security 9 but much lighter.
Also this thing looks like a big honking handgun but it is fairly light.
It wouldn't take a fully loaded magazine on a closed slide.
19 ok 20 not so much.
The safety Lever engaged positively but I am not sure why it has a trigger dingus and manual safety.
Maybe some one will come out with an after market dingus eliminater.
I couldn't use the magazine button without rotating my grip.
That is typical for me though.

Is the juice worth the squeeze though?
I think this pistol is a $450 handgun at most.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I looked at 5.7x28 years ago, reloading for it was not a simple affair.  I'm not sure if that's still the case.  

Do your research before investing in dies and brass.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Wash brass in simple green mix to not remove coating. Use good dies. size, trim to length, prime, use a very accurate powder drop as .1 can put you between safe and max. Use 30-45gr bullets. Bam done..
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top