Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2020 9:04:34 AM EDT
I've been thinking about getting another 1911 lately and started looking around are the normal builders like Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Colt, a Springfield Armory Professional then looked at Pilot Mountain Arms and somehow stumbled upon the Rock River Arms page and saw they make 1911s.

They guarantee 2.5" groups at 50 yards which is better than some others for twice the price. I'm digging the Carry model but I've never seen or heard anything about them and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=135
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
About 10-15 years ago, they were making fantastic semi-custom pistols. Then they all but stopped their 1911 line to focus on ARs (though I've read they were still making 1911s, just not many and not well advertised).  A few years ago, they introduced their polymer framed 1911s, and then started marketing their steel frame semi-custom 1911s again.  Don't know what current quality is.  But, I regret selling the "ADCO Spec" RRA 1911 I had about ten years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend has one.  Extremely nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
In to see if we still hate RRA.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In to see if we still hate RRA.
View Quote

Are we supposed to hate RRA? I wasn't much of a fan of their ARs but that wasn't for any particular reason but did something happen? Someone has to tell me if I'm supposed to hate them...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Are we supposed to hate RRA? I wasn't much of a fan of their ARs but that wasn't for any particular reason but did something happen? Someone has to tell me if I'm supposed to hate them...
View Quote
They backed some local anti-gun legislation in order to protect their business, at the expense of others.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh boy, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I put hands on a rock river arms 10mm about a week ago.

I was very very impressed with the build quality. I would not hesitate to buy one.

It was nice than my delta elite that's twice the price.

Rock island has come along way in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I put hands on a rock river arms 10mm about a week ago.

I was very very impressed with the build quality. I would not hesitate to buy one.

It was nice than my delta elite that's twice the price.

Rock island has come along way in the last 10 years.
View Quote

Did you mean Rock River?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Their old 1911's were fantastic.  Unsure of their new ones.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I like mine.  I got it used, and I have no idea how many rounds it has through it.  Only minor gripes are a slightly loose slide to frame fit (compared to my other semi-customs), and a slightly loose grip safety.  The trigger is great, maybe the best of all my other pistols.  It does have short trigger in it, but it feels ok to me so I'm not going to mess with it.  I changed to grips to VZ's, swapped the FLGR for a GI guide rod, and switched the ambi safety to a EGW single-side.  No other plans except to shoot it more.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They backed some local anti-gun legislation in order to protect their business, at the expense of others.
View Quote

Them and Springfield.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The RRA models of 15 years ago were the shiznits.
Have yet to see a new model, shot had some last year that were not of the same quality of their previous work
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting another 1911 lately and started looking around are the normal builders like Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Colt, a Springfield Armory Professional then looked at Pilot Mountain Arms and somehow stumbled upon the Rock River Arms page and saw they make 1911s.

They guarantee 2.5" groups at 50 years which is better than some others for twice the price. I'm digging the Carry model but I've never seen or heard anything about them and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=135
View Quote

IIRC, Rock River started as a custom/semi-custom 1911 pistol manufacturer...If your looking to purchase one I think they
are worth the asking price.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<>

They guarantee 2.5" groups at 50 years which is better than some others for twice the price. I'm digging the Carry model but I've never seen or heard anything about them and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them?
View Quote

That's an impressive guarantee.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's an impressive guarantee.

View Quote

Fixed!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#16]
RRA 1911's are some of the finest out there.  They never stopped building 1911's just stopped producing numbers.  Could always order one if you wanted one.  Give them a call and they will hand build one for you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an older Tactical and a newer Cary as well as a new Tactical.  The older one is a bit nicer but the newer ones are no slouch.  As long as I do my part they are some of my most accurate 1911's I own.  They are tighter than my Wilson Combat CQB.  I would say they are the best value in the semi-custom 1911 market.  They will outshoot my Springfield Pro every day of the week for less wait and money!  I would buy another one today without hesitation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]
The Larsons at RRA started out with Les Baer at the Springfield custom shop, and went with Les when he opened his own shop.  

As a result, their 1911s are very much in the Baer style, both build- and looks-wise.  Tight and accurate.  I have a 6" RRA that I picked up maybe 10 years ago, and its accuracy lives up to my expectations.    

I don't know anything about the more recent guns they're building but I don't have a reason to suspect things have changed much.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By plinepuller:
I have an older Tactical and a newer Cary as well as a new Tactical.  The older one is a bit nicer but the newer ones are no slouch.  As long as I do my part they are some of my most accurate 1911's I own.  They are tighter than my Wilson Combat CQB.  I would say they are the best value in the semi-custom 1911 market.  They will outshoot my Springfield Pro every day of the week for less wait and money!  I would buy another one today without hesitation.
View Quote

Got any photos of your newer Carry and Tactical you can share.

I'm half tempted to replace that ADCO Spec gun I sold with a new Carry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
The Larsons at RRA started out with Les Baer at the Springfield custom shop, and went with Les when he opened his own shop.   

As a result, their 1911s are very much in the Baer style, both build- and looks-wise.  Tight and accurate.  I have a 6" RRA that I picked up maybe 10 years ago, and its accuracy lives up to my expectations.    

I don't know anything about the more recent guns they're building but I don't have a reason to suspect things have changed much.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/rra-1_jpg-1393687.JPG
View Quote

Ahh, that makes a lot of sense, same style high cut front strap and fine cocking serrations always stuck out to me as very similar to Baer's guns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Fantastic 1911's- I just sold an older Cleveland model

Still have my Carry Elite from around '06

test target shot by Mr C Larson at FIFTY YARDS

Back then they were very good value, very nicely made, nicely finished and with a beautiful deep blue. Closest alternative was probably a Baer- I love my Baer, but the cosmetic finishing wasn't nearly as good as the RRA's and I didn't have to rack the slide of the RRA's using a small rubber mallet.
I'd be curious to how the newer RRA's compare to a modern Dan Wesson. Or Baer, but I'm thinking he's doing things pretty much the same way ...
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By asiparks:
Fantastic 1911's- I just sold an older Cleveland model 

https://picr.me/i/2020/02/02/VLncis.jpg

Still have my Carry Elite from around '06
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/attachments/emptyname-46-jpg.679142/

test target shot by Mr C Larson at FIFTY YARDS 

https://picr.me/i/2020/05/03/VXSB22.jpg

Back then they were very good value, very nicely made, nicely finished and with a beautiful deep blue. Closest alternative was probably a Baer- I love my Baer, but the cosmetic finishing wasn't nearly as good as the RRA's and I didn't have to rack the slide of the RRA's using a small rubber mallet. 
I'd be curious to how the newer RRA's compare to a modern Dan Wesson. Or Baer, but I'm thinking he's doing things pretty much the same way ...
View Quote

Thanks for the post! I am working on another 1911 at the moment but I think I'll buy a RRA in late summer/fall. Beautiful gun!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#23]
FWIW I have one of their Poly frame guns.  It is very reliable, shoots like a full size steel gun in spite of being a lighter weight than a standard government model, and seems quite accurate.  Only problem is finding holsters, I have gotten it to fit a few made for the STI 2011 fames but it is wider than a standard 1911 frame and I have not found a standard holster that will accept the thing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FWIW I have one of their Poly frame guns.  It is very reliable, shoots like a full size steel gun in spite of being a lighter weight than a standard government model, and seems quite accurate.  Only problem is finding holsters, I have gotten it to fit a few made for the STI 2011 fames but it is wider than a standard 1911 frame and I have not found a standard holster that will accept the thing.
View Quote

Great to hear these getting out...

Holsters, are you looking for leather or kydex?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Holsters, are you looking for leather or kydex?
View Quote

Both, I found a 1911 full size with a light rail version in kydex and a leather IWB for the STI Eagle that both fit well enough.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#26]
This thread lead me onto their website. Glad to see their old 1911's back up on there.

I kinda want to call and see if I can make an appointment to swing over there and check them out in person. I work about 5 miles from their building.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This thread lead me onto their website. Glad to see their old 1911's back up on there.

I kinda want to call and see if I can make an appointment to swing over there and check them out in person. I work about 5 miles from their building.
View Quote

If you do please let me know what you think after seeing them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top