Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2021 9:48:53 PM EDT
A gun shop I frequent just got some consignment Les Baer in so I was checking them out. I noticed this Rock River (Limited Match I believe) and it looks and feels to be nicely built. I couldn’t find much current information on this pistol but did find a bunch of stuff from the early 2000s.

Has serrations on rear of slide, top of slide, and under the trigger guard.

Anyone familiar with the model and what are your opinions? Any idea on a reasonable price? Seems to be just as nice as the Les Baers.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding 1911.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Should be reasonable. I love my RI, although it isn't that nice. Great warranty, if it doesn't shoot good you can send it back for a tune up.  New ones start at $3600 MSRP.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I am waiting on mine in 9mm to arrive at my dealer. I’ll post a range report as soon as I get it.
They are nice guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock river was started by guys that used to work for Les Baer, So they look very similiar.
Good guns
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
They are very good pistols. They are similar in quality and price to LBs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock River are some of the finest 1911’s built!
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked it up today for a little over $1,200. Pretty excited to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked it up today for a little over $1,200. Pretty excited to get it to the range.
View Quote
That's a fuggin steal. The cheapest mode they sold was like $1500 15yra ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are very good pistols. They are similar in quality and price to LBs.
View Quote

Haven’t handled any of the new ones, but the older Rock River 1911s were a much higher build quality than LBs—basically a custom-built Bullseye pistol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably the best sub $2k 1911's available followed closely by DW. $1200 was a steal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased one from an ARF member a while ago, an early one with the blank slide. Rock River customer service was outstanding and had the full build list and what dealer the gun was sold through that they provided for me when I asked. It was an extremely nice pistol and I would say higher quality than LB, the bluing was an awesome polished blue with very finely done hand fitting and all parts were number matched. I had to let the pistol go unfortunately, but the RRA guns can be picked up cheaper than the value they provide since they aren't a common name.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine, won it in an auction a few months ago for $1250, haven't shot it yet as .45 ammo is unobtanium.  I cannot get the barrel bushing out of the slide...I can barely even turn it with the wrench, but that sucker is *tight*.  Even tried the disassembly method where you pull the entire slide off first.  Next steps for a 1911 noob?  Gonna shoot it in a CMP match sometime this summer.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I took it down today and ended up taking the slide off first to get the bushing off with a bushing wrench. Definitely a well fit bushing. After some cursing I finally got it apart and back together without an issue.

Also, great idea I’ll reach out to RRA to see what I can find out about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's mine, won it in an auction a few months ago for $1250, haven't shot it yet as .45 ammo is unobtanium.  I cannot get the barrel bushing out of the slide...I can barely even turn it with the wrench, but that sucker is *tight*.  Even tried the disassembly method where you pull the entire slide off first.  Next steps for a 1911 noob?  Gonna shoot it in a CMP match sometime this summer.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31164/pix192190366_jpg-1762252.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31164/pix145601146_jpg-1762253.JPG
View Quote

Love the retro look.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Rock River makes amazing 1911s. I don’t care for their “poly” versions but that a personal thing.

My dream gun is a 9mm tactical model.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Selling my ADCO-spec RRA is one of my biggest gun regrets. Fantastic pistols for the money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I took it down today and ended up taking the slide off first to get the bushing off with a bushing wrench. Definitely a well fit bushing. After some cursing I finally got it apart and back together without an issue.

Also, great idea I’ll reach out to RRA to see what I can find out about it.
View Quote

Next time, push the slide out of battery before trying to turn the bushing... the barrel is flared at the muzzle and contributes to the tight fit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Next time, push the slide out of battery before trying to turn the bushing... the barrel is flared at the muzzle and contributes to the tight fit.
View Quote

That's the method I use to dissemble my custom 1911 (not RRA) with match barrel/bushing. But even with the method, I still need help with Wilson bushing wrench to turn the match bushing because it was fitted extremely tight, not finger tight to turn and remove. 18.5 lbs recoil spring also make it harder to release slide out of battery by one hand and trying to turn bushing with the other and hoping the plug won't fly out if the wrench slipped just a bit.

I am tying to learn the other way, taking down slide stop first and firmly grip the front end of the slide and frame dust cover, then carefully / slowly sliding out the slide so the recoil spring tension will release gradually, not popping right out (GI plug setup).
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a RRA Bullseye wadcutter that I purchased in the early 2001.

When I take it apart I take the slide off and push the barrel out of battery before using a wrench to turn the bushing.

It’s been shot a lot and I still need to use the barrel like a mini slide hammer to get the bushing out of the slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top