Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 10:00:37 AM EDT
After waiting for additional mags to become more available, I decided to snag up one of these little 1911s at my LGS this week.

I cleaned it up and lubed it, then went to the range last night to try it out.  Started with some Aguila ball ammo.  Loaded the one, ( and only ) seven round mag it came with and fired that off perfectly.  Went to refill the mag before another go but the rounds stopped loading after four or five were in the mag.  Noticed at this time that the rounds were loose within the mag, so it looked like the follower had bound up down near the bottom of the mag body.  I had to tap the mag repeatedly to get the rest of the rounds out and free up the follower so it could rise back up.

I inspected all of the rounds that I'd just removed from that mag and they all appeared ok, no bulged cases, etc.  I attempted to load fresh rounds from the box but I kept getting the same result with this mag.  First time I've run across this problem in a few decades of shooting.

So.. just a shitty mag?  I'm going to disassemble this mag later today and inspect the spring for correct orientation, the follower for burrs and such and the mag body for any deformation.  I already have four more mags on the way for this little pistol, so if this mag is assed up, I'm not overly concerned about it.  Just kind of a mild bummer for a first time outing with a new pistol, though I know plenty well that shit happens.

The pistol itself feels pretty good in my hands, has a decent trigger and usable black on black sights.  I sort of bought this pistol on a whim so it won't see much in the way of serious defensive use/carry.  I might carry it at the LGS I work at part time just to fuck with one of the old geezers there who constantly trumpets the virtues of the all mighty 1911 but as soon as he arrives at the gun store, he takes off his 1911 and straps on an OWB holster with his LCP.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't seen this gun.

Is it like the little Browning .380?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen this gun.

Is it like the little Browning .380?
View Quote
Sort of:

https://armscor.com/firearms/bbr-series/baby-rock-380

The Baby Rock is an all steel, .380 that feels like a real pistol, unlike the Browning .380 which feels rather cheaply made to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been interested in this gun for a while.  Rock Island is known for good customer service if you don't get it running on your own.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been interested in this gun for a while.  Rock Island is known for good customer service if you don't get it running on your own.
View Quote
I tried the magazine after disassembling, inspecting, cleaning and reassembling it.  It did the exact same thing again.. loads fine and feeds the pistol just fine the first time.  Second time trying to load it, it binds up.

The gun itself runs great though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one last year and the Baby Rock has quickly become one of my favorite range toys.  Mine has run flawlessly with everything I've fed it, and it always draws attention.  I chose it over the Browning because it was all steel, but was still several hundred dollars cheaper than the polymer framed Browning.  Like the OP, I don't plan on carrying it for defensive use, but might consider it if I could find night sights.  I picked mine up for a little over $300, and it seems like they can still be found at that price.  It is a lot of fun for the money and seems like it will last for quite awhile.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
i shot one , it was a nice gun, very fun but couldn't hit shit with it..  maybe it was the crap ammo or me.. it is very small in the hand... it did function 100 percent
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#7]
They’re a re-do of the last gen Llama MicroMax.  Those were actually good little pistols & Armscorp usually does a nice job with stuff.

The Browning has a not insignificant advantage in being locked breech instead of blow-back like the Llama/Baby Rock.  My Browning had noticeably less felt recoil than my MicroMax.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
wish they made the Browning out of metal...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top