Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2018 12:05:30 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a 1911 for shits and giggles. I only have an interest a classic 5" gun in bright nickel finish. From what I can tell, RIA is the only game in town for a shine-arrific 1911 without having to pay for a pristine vintage Colt, which I'm not going to do.

My question is, will Rock Island guns run from the factory?

I don't want a project to tinker with, or to have to pay a gunsmith to get it to function. I just want a pimptastic 1911 that I can slap a set of ivory grips on and call it good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I have researched they will run. For the price they are mid grade 1911's for a low end price. Have not really seen that many negatives on them. They just work is what I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a RI 1911 in 22TCM/9mm that runs fine. Is it tight? Nah. Does it go bang every time with range ammo? Yep.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy without worry and if there is an issue, RIA has excellent armorers/customer service to take care of it.

Love my Rocky 2011.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about buying a 1911 for shits and giggles. I only have an interest a classic 5" gun in bright nickel finish. From what I can tell, RIA is the only game in town for a shine-arrific 1911 without having to pay for a pristine vintage Colt, which I'm not going to do.

My question is, will Rock Island guns run from the factory?

I don't want a project to tinker with, or to have to pay a gunsmith to get it to function. I just want a pimptastic 1911 that I can slap a set of ivory grips on and call it good.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/image_jpeg-746948.JPG
View Quote
I have 2 Rock Island GI .45 and a Baby Rock .380. They'll eat what you feed them. Read the reviews on 1911.com. In the forum there is a Rock Island thread. Best bang for the buck and if you have to use it where it gets tied up in the evidence room your $1000+ pistol is not lost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine runs great.

Keep forgetting to put a dab of blue loctite on the grip screws......
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine runs great.

Keep forgetting to put a dab of blue loctite on the grip screws......
View Quote
NO! Don't do that. Use O rings or Teflon thread sealant to keep them from backing out. If you use loctite you'll end up removing the bushing with the screw the next time you take your grips off.

Cimarrons are just rebadged RIAs, have the same import mark engraved under the dust cover. Between cimarrons and RIA, I think I own 5. They have all been 100% reliable. Somewhere here on arfcom there is a thread from Henderson defense called the high round counts pistol thread where he talks about how guns hold up on his range in Las Vegas. According to that thread Sig and RIA are the top 2 1911s in terms of most rounds with least need for repair.

One of my cimarrons is nickel plated. I really love chrome/nickel plated guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I posted my RIA in your other thread. Runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got a RI 1911 in 22TCM/9mm that runs fine. Is it tight? Nah. Does it go bang every time with range ammo? Yep.
View Quote
My RIAs are tighter than my Springfield mil-spec. The mil spec the slide rattles around on the frame.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
About a month ago, I got a RIA 9mm Govt FS model. I took it out to the range and shot 125 rounds through it. I was not able to get through one single magazine without a FTE on almost every round. I figured it was an extractor issue. I contacted RIA and they had me send it back to them on their dime. I just got it back on Weds and was able to get it out to the range today. It went through 100 rounds of 115 grain Winchester White box hardball ammo without a hitch.

Needless to say, I am very happy and impressed with RIA's customer service and support!

Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Iv seen a few at USPSA matches and they seem to run.  I dont think the fit and finish is as good as a high end gun but for what you are paying I think they are generally good guns.  But I would think twice if your looking to put 10k pulse a year thru it like a competition shooter but for a range toy I would buy with out a second thought.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Iv seen a few at USPSA matches and they seem to run.  I dont think the fit and finish is as good as a high end gun but for what you are paying I think they are generally good guns.  But I would think twice if your looking to put 10k pulse a year thru it like a competition shooter but for a range toy I would buy with out a second thought.
View Quote
There is a tourist gun range range is Las Vegas. The owner of that gun range said that the RIA's and Sig's are holding the best out of all 1911 he has on the line. RIA's in my opinion are just as reliable and long lasting as any other 1911. My High Standard .45 GI model, which was made in the same factory as the RIA guns and has already more than 10k rounds through it, and still runs like new. I did replace the recoil spring three times. Everything else is still from the factory. I also have a .45 RIA tactical with many thousands of rounds through it and never gave me any problems. The ACT mags the guns came with are holding up very good so far.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine ran from the factory.  Buy with confidence.  We'll see how good the metallurgy is after another five years of shooting....
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is a tourist gun range range is Las Vegas. The owner of that gun range said that the RIA's and Sig's are holding the best out of all 1911 he has on the line. RIA's in my opinion are just as reliable and long lasting as any other 1911. My High Standard .45 GI model, which was made in the same factory as the RIA guns and has already more than 10k rounds through it, and still runs like new. I did replace the recoil spring three times. Everything else is still from the factory. I also have a .45 RIA tactical with many thousands of rounds through it and never gave me any problems. The ACT mags the guns came with are holding up very good so far.
View Quote
Good to know.  Maybe its time to look at one as a backup gun for my single stack major gun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got to quit ar15.com.  Costing me too much. I need that nickel plated rock island! I bought the parkerized 4.25 barrel back in the spring. Strictly for a range toy. Have run maybe 10 boxes of shells thru it. 100% reliable. No issues of any form. I 100% trust this gun. It has moved from range toy to part time side arm.  It's easier to conceal than my full size M&p.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top