Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2018 5:59:05 PM EDT
Anybody else think the immense jump in prices is a little ridiculous and unwarranted? Millions of these things were produced, and yet because Browning stopped production just this year, it seems some folks feel a $400 premium should be added to the street price. For what some people are asking for a bone stock MKIII, I can grab a worked over Wilson Combat 92G, CZ of some sort with all the bells and whistles, or a decent 1911. I mean, I like the Hi-Power, but I'm a patient man and will wait for a good one at a reasonable price to come around. I'm just wondering is anyone else seeing this happen elsewhere besides here, and am I alone in thinking $1300+ for a bone stock MKIII is a little much??
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Really nice Captain on the EE for less than that.

1) not a lot for sale so the supply is low.
2) demand since they discontinued is up.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in a lgs the other day I saw a MK III 9mm in the case 85%,  with $900 on the tag
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Figured it would happen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Browning for $600 at my LGS last week.

It was hard walking out the door......
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine has original HP adjustable sights put on a fixed sight gun.  Done years ago, great trigger with removed mag disconnect safety.  That probably screws up the collectors price.
I also have a Peters Stahl conversion like the one Swenson imported in the early 80s.  
I'd need a similar conversion for a CZ, the higher end CZ pistol and around 400 to boot before I'd consider getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think I could have walked out empty handed! What's their number?!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My baby...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a 91 mk3 for 525 at the lgs. I was shocked at the price and couldn't leave without it. I normally see them for 800-1000.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just picked up a 91 mk3 for 525 at the lgs. I was shocked at the price and couldn't leave without it. I normally see them for 800-1000.
View Quote
Good score!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't think I could have walked out empty handed! What's their number?!
View Quote
$550 cash price.  I bet the next sob with any sense and room on his cc picked it up.

They had a vz61 Scorpion one time too.

If anyone asks me on my death bed if there's anything I regert, it's not buying that damn thing.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Once I get my acog sold I am buying one of the Tisas copies. I just want a hi-power, doesn’t have to have Belgium written on the side.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once I get my acog sold I am buying one of the Tisas copies. I just want a hi-power, doesn’t have to have Belgium written on the side.
View Quote
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but....

Take a look at the threads on the Hi Power Forum on 1911.com about the Tisas copies.  BH Spring Solutions did a 6000 test duplicating the test the Army performed on the 1911, and found the extractor and firing pin retaining plate failed at under 1000 rounds and 5000 rounds, respectively.

They also found that replacing the broken extractor with an FN/Browning extractor was not 100% reliable.  Apparently, the chamber and crown barrel is slightly off center as well.  BHSS suspected that the off center chamber caused their extraction issues.

FWIW, BHSS did say that LKCI (the importer) was made aware of the problems.  Another thread said that LKCI had worked with Tisas and corrected the problems.

I'm not knocking the Tisas copies, since I want them to be great and successful so I can purchase one.  The price for a FN/Browning has gone up around here.  I saw one in a LGS for $1200!
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Take a look at the threads on the Hi Power Forum on 1911.com about the Tisas copies.  BH Spring Solutions did a 6000 test duplicating the test the Army performed on the 1911, and found the extractor and firing pin retaining plate failed at under 1000 rounds and 5000 rounds, respectively.

They also found that replacing the broken extractor with an FN/Browning extractor was not 100% reliable.  Apparently, the chamber and crown barrel is slightly off center as well.  BHSS suspected that the off center chamber caused their extraction issues.

FWIW, BHSS did say that LKCI (the importer) was made aware of the problems.  Another thread said that LKCI had worked with Tisas and corrected the problems.

I'm not knocking the Tisas copies, since I want them to be great and successful so I can purchase one.  The price for a FN/Browning has gone up around here.  I saw one in a LGS for $1200!
View Quote
I have one of the Tisa copies here myself, only 700 rounds through it but no problems with extraction and I plan on running another 200 rounds this weekend as time allows.

Tisa changed the shape of the extractor from the FN design, I suspect this is why FN designed extractors don't work 100% of the time. As to the barrel and chamber being off center my copy seems ok, as I said....no issues with extraction.

Only "issues" so far with mine are the trigger is HP stiff, I'm leaving the mag safety in for the time being and hoping running a couple 1000 rounds smooth's it out to match my "shooter" FN made one (I have 3 FN's here now).

Grips are the only other problem I have with mine at the moment. The wooden ones provided have a funky "feel" to them. I just replaced those with Hogue grips today like I use on my FN made ones so that should help that.

I think if I don't have problems with this matt finish one I bought I might get the SS finished one.....I like it so far
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the info. I haven’t checked over there in a while but I will. Hopefully if I can get it sold I should be able to get one soon.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm also eyeing the Tisas clones which have an attractive price at $499

I'm curious how they stack up to the Charles Daly and FM clones since they all have a similar price point.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
There are deals to be found.

I bought one on the EE last week for $550 Shipped. I’ve seen several  at the $650-$750 range.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I would not spend money on a clone.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought a Hi Power Mk3, 1993 build at 98% condition last month; won’t say how much I paid for it, but i believe was worth it. I am sending it to Jim Garthwaite to have him modify it hopefully next month.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't checked prices recently, but they definitely got outrageous.  People got stupid about accessories sometimes, too.  I was at a gun store in Tucson in July and asked if they had any Hi Power mags.  The guy said he had one (it was a Mec-Gar) and that it was $73.  I balked and he basically replied that that's what I get for carrying an obsolete, discontinued gun.  Nevermind that the mags aren't discontinued.  My buddy and I decided not to buy anything there with that kind of attitude; he was about to ring up some mags for his Glock21.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I haven't checked prices recently, but they definitely got outrageous.  People got stupid about accessories sometimes, too.  I was at a gun store in Tucson in July and asked if they had any Hi Power mags.  The guy said he had one (it was a Mec-Gar) and that it was $73.  I balked and he basically replied that that's what I get for carrying an obsolete, discontinued gun.  Nevermind that the mags aren't discontinued.  My buddy and I decided not to buy anything there with that kind of attitude; he was about to ring up some mags for his Glock21.
View Quote
While not the cheapest mag out there I can assure you that there are plenty of Mec-Gars available from the wholesalers. I know because I do business at a couple. As you know, this industry is full of asshats.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Salad days.  People will need to buy food at some point and sell their shit cheap.  Be vigilant.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While not the cheapest mag out there I can assure you that there are plenty of Mec-Gars available from the wholesalers. I know because I do business at a couple. As you know, this industry is full of asshats.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen them as low as $15 a piece from vendors.  I don't like using middlemen to block them and a lot of places won't ship to an address in a different State than the billing address.  I always look when out of State with some money to spare and bring a few extra blocks with me.  Most stores don't seem to carry them at all, even before FN discontinued the Hi Power.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Would love it if current manufacturers making copies of the hi power stepped up and improved the design, i.e. what current manufacturers are doing with the 1911 today. Better sights/finish, front/backstrap checkering, flared magwell, beavertailed frame or picatinny rail as options on some models, and so forth. I have a ratty Mk III surplus gun I probably paid too much for, but would definitely look forward to seeing something new come about.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Would love it if current manufacturers making copies of the hi power stepped up and improved the design, i.e. what current manufacturers are doing with the 1911 today. Better sights/finish, front/backstrap checkering, flared magwell, beavertailed frame or picatinny rail as options on some models, and so forth. I have a ratty Mk III surplus gun I probably paid too much for, but would definitely look forward to seeing something new come about.
View Quote
They did, it's called the CZ-75
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, nailed it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The CZ75 has nothing in common with the Hi Power design.
But that never stops CZ fanboys from claiming its an improvement.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I never understood this either. The grip feels similar, and they have the same type of locking system. Besides that not a lot similar.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was  what we in the business refer to as a "joke". Yes. mechanically besides the browning linkless mechanism and the original shortrail model's aesthetics there isn't much similar. Besides the linkless mechanism the Hi-Power itself is a dead end developmentally in the modern polymer striker fired world and it's decades too late for anything like 1913 rails or fancy race models. FN never bothered to try to modernize it (bar the BDA) and was charging near a grand for a gun that lacks the americana associated with the 1911/45ACP, that's why there's no fancy models with beaver tails, checked front/backstraps and rails. All I was saying is that if someone wants a steel framed wonder 9 with those sorts of features, the closest thing you are going to get in spirit of the Hi-Power for any reasonable amount of money is the 75.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That was  what we in the business refer to as a "joke". Yes. mechanically besides the browning linkless mechanism and the original shortrail model's aesthetics there isn't much similar. Besides the linkless mechanism the Hi-Power itself is a dead end developmentally in the modern polymer striker fired world and it's decades too late for anything like 1913 rails or fancy race models. FN never bothered to try to modernize it (bar the BDA) and was charging near a grand for a gun that lacks the americana associated with the 1911/45ACP, that's why there's no fancy models with beaver tails, checked front/backstraps and rails. All I was saying is that if someone wants a steel framed wonder 9 with those sorts of features, the closest thing you are going to get in spirit of the Hi-Power for any reasonable amount of money is the 75.
View Quote
Well said, and this is coming from someone who loves the BHP.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#29]
All this makes me glad I've got the BHP craze long behind me.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hell, that was a good price 5 years ago provided it's a LNIB gun.

I'm keeping an eye on this as I may offload one of mine.

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That was  what we in the business refer to as a "joke".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was  what we in the business refer to as a "joke".
I'm "in the business" and don't see the "joke", just another ignorant post.

…... the closest thing you are going to get in spirit of the Hi-Power for any reasonable amount of money is the 75.    
That's just as as the other post.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#32]
In some ways I've thought Hi-Power prices have been high as long as I can remember.  Yet today we think the now discontinued FN/Browning HP prices are Crazy high while so many different concerns still make 1911's and sell them for even more stupid prices.

I got mine on sale at a really great price new but at the same time I had seen used ones priced $150-$200 higher than I paid new.  Really stupid prices for used then.  I never did see many for sale locally.  For some reason it seems to have been the nature of HP's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I inherited a BHP, don't know as much about them but am learning a bit.  I think it's a 1969 T-series, it's marked "Browning" and "Made in Belgium".  Wood slabs, fixed sights.  SN T26003X.  Any opinions on what you think this one's worth?

@jsha22lr
@AZYoungGun
@Tanren37
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:49:14 PM EDT
[#34]
just attended an online auction where 5 hi powers sold in the $650-800 range.  That was only a $50-100 premium to where those guns would have sold a year or two ago.  Hi Powers haven't been cheap since CDNN blew them out over a dozen years ago.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was the same, bought a FEG
Ugly, but oh well
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#36]
What are the nazi high powers going for realistically ? I’ve got the line on a pretty nice one for 800 dollars .
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What are the nazi high powers going for realistically ? I’ve got the line on a pretty nice one for 800 dollars .
View Quote
great price, not sure I have ever seen a nice one for less than $1k and this is going back almost 20 years of hitting a lot of shows here in Phoenix.   Beat to crap barely function is maybe $500-600.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

great price, not sure I have ever seen a nice one for less than $1k and this is going back almost 20 years of hitting a lot of shows here in Phoenix.   Beat to crap barely function is maybe $500-600.
View Quote
Well , I waited to long , sold the 2 days ago at least I didn’t spend 800 dollars
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I inherited a BHP, don't know as much about them but am learning a bit.  I think it's a 1969 T-series, it's marked "Browning" and "Made in Belgium".  Wood slabs, fixed sights.  SN T26003X.  Any opinions on what you think this one's worth?

https://i.imgur.com/92q6O6zh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4LT4eEIh.jpg?1

@jsha22lr
@AZYoungGun
@Tanren37
View Quote
One of my customers recently bought a T series like yours for $400 at a garage sale in rural Texas.  
It looks brand new.  I offered him $500 for it.  He said no.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked up a 1952 German Police contract, no import marks, it wasn't exactly cheap.

LGS had a recent plain jane black painted HP, cast frame, 999.99

Just crazy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a really nice blued made in Belgium hi power from the 80s, with the wood grips, leather pouch,  original mag and like new finish.

I won't ever sell it, but it would be nice if I finally had a gun worth collecting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/92q6O6zh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4LT4eEIh.jpg?1

@jsha22lr
@AZYoungGun
@Tanren37
View Quote
1k+ easily if no hidden issues.  T series are very desirable

Notice no one here  really addressed it,    did your PM box blow up with lowball offers?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Two alloy framed P35s just sold on GB for $500 and change.

Should've bought one.

dammit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do happen to have a SP-01 threaded and a CZ 75 Shadow.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just paid 800+tax for my MKIII today. They had it marked at like 1100 or something. When I spoke to them yesterday they quoted me 900+tax, went in today and got for 800+.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top