Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2022 10:45:24 AM EDT
What do you all think about upgrading hammer springs and trigger springs in revolvers? I just added a 10lbs hammer spring to my new Taurus Raging Hunter and it dropped the DA pull from 15lbs to a healthy 12lbs and also dropped SA from 7.5lbs to 7lbs. Still have to get a lot more rounds downrange to really break in the internal parts, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. What is your preferred spring brand to use and weight range for trigger pulls?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer stock springs and more rounds downrange to spring replacements. Do not want to take the chance that the lighter springs might cause light strikes at the wrong time. Might not happen, but then again.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
When I got my S&W model 40 J frame the double action trigger pull was 14#, I installed a lower power hammer spring and now have a 9# 4oz pull.  It has never failed to ignite any round.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Mixed results.  Yes it can lower the trigger pull but I've also had light primer strikes.  Any more I just leave them alone.  I find a good cleaning and some moly grease in the right spots does about the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolff Springs
I have their hammer and trigger springs in 6 different Ruger revolvers.  A few are almost 20 years old and have never had a problem.  I also use their mag and recoil springs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wolff Springs
I have their hammer and trigger springs in 6 different Ruger revolvers.  A few are almost 20 years old and have never had a problem.  I also use their mag and recoil springs.
View Quote

Same here, but not as much time.  I usually leave the hammer springs alone and just swap the rebound spring.  Lightens up the DA pull.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Another fan of Wolff (Apex for J frames), just make sure the gun is still reliable.  Don't expect to lower the trigger pull on .22 revolvers much without getting light strikes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the gun, some it makes the unreliable and some it works great for, just don't go too low.  I like Wolff spring kits (reduced) in Ruger revolvers, they take to the changes well and I've never had issues with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top