Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2022 9:07:27 AM EDT
I just acquired a beautiful "C" series BHP from a family member.  Beautiful condition,  but it has the horrific half-moon front sight.  I found some old Bingham Combat Sights that are on their way ... but how do I remove the old front sight?  It appears to be a staked pin,  but the pin is blocked by a non-removable barrel nut?

Yes, yes ... take it to a gunsmith.  But how will they do it?  Break off the sight and back-drill from the top?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzkreig] [#1]
OEM sight is soldered in place and then the bbl bushing is soldered. If you have sight upgrades, they cut the front sight away when machining the front dovetail.

I've got a '72 C-series that some idiot put an adjustable rear on and red ramped that ridiculous tiny front sight. Don Williams kindly sent me an OEM rear but, I really need to sent it to Novaks for proper sights.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ManMan:
I just acquired a beautiful "C" series BHP from a family member.  Beautiful condition,  but it has the horrific half-moon front sight.  I found some old Bingham Combat Sights that are on their way ... but how do I remove the old front sight?  It appears to be a staked pin,  but the pin is blocked by a non-removable barrel nut?

Yes, yes ... take it to a gunsmith.  But how will they do it?  Break off the sight and back-drill from the top?
View Quote

The half moon is silver soldered in place.

If you want to destroy the value of that beautiful C series then have a gun plumber mill a dovetail.

IMO you will spend $$$ to make your Hi Power less valuable. If it's a dinged up, milsurp/import then no big deal. But if in original condition its like welding a tow hitch to a '63 Stingray.

Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the replacement sight is also a post... NOT a dovetail!

I thought the barrel nut was removable and I could grind off the swedge some,   this may be more interesting
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
can the sights like on a 1911 be used? front and rear?
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 9:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzkreig] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stoney:
can the sights like on a 1911 be used? front and rear?
View Quote

I think they can be modified to work. Certainly less economical than buying BHP specific sights. If you an run a mill, prob not a big deal.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I would leave this C Series alone if it's in pristine condition.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

If you want to destroy the value of that beautiful C series then have a gun plumber mill a dovetail.

IMO you will spend $$$ to make your Hi Power less valuable. If it's a dinged up, milsurp/import then no big deal. But if in original condition its like welding a tow hitch to a '63 Stingray.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:
Originally Posted By ManMan:

What he said, all of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top